1 2 3
echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
10/7/18 2:36 p.m.

Heads up tropical storm Michael which is likely to be a hurricane is heading this way, Thursday is gonna be wet but looks like it will speed up and be gone by friday. drive safe!!!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/7/18 3:02 p.m.

My week just got slammed. Hurricane means I will be OUT of hardware. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
10/7/18 4:01 p.m.

We’re monitoring the storm closely, but don’t expect there to be any impact. If anything, it probably means we’ll have some cooler weather by the time Friday rolls around! 

And just a reminder: the event runs rain or shine, regardless of weather. Lightning is the only thing that would delay the autocross. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/18 6:27 p.m.

Bring rain tires in case of standing water. 

keithedwards
keithedwards New Reader
10/7/18 6:41 p.m.

I am considering driving up a day early, if it will mean less towing in the rain. Because I can.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/7/18 6:55 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Watch out for sippy holes!!

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/7/18 7:41 p.m.

Forecasts for Thursday land Friday look good

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/7/18 7:45 p.m.

Driving from Houston to the Callenge on Thursday. It looks wet.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/18 9:21 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

You might want to pack a boat and a life jacket. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/7/18 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I could loan him the floaties my car wore during irma. 

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/8/18 7:51 a.m.

Rain X tow vehicles now and anti fog inside 

n8
n8 New Reader
10/8/18 8:43 a.m.

I know autocross is a rain or shine thing but... that doesn't mean running the event is enjoyable if it's tropical force raining. In case it does rain Friday, I would suggest that the Concours be held Friday and then the autocross on Saturday as rain wouldn't hardly affect the Concours since it's under the shelter anyways and Saturday has a much higher chance of being dry. Just a suggestion.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/8/18 8:56 a.m.

Easy. Name your challenge car Ditka. Then the hurricane will turn around in fear.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bill-swerskis-super-fans/n10094

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/8/18 10:26 a.m.

If anyone is running a Lexan Windshield let me know I will coat it with a Tearoff . And If someone wants there Tow Rig Front doors done I will have tint on hand . Offset Hotel and Beer /food expense . 

keithedwards
keithedwards New Reader
10/8/18 10:36 a.m.

In reply to keithedwards :

Today, it looks like Tuesday will not be a good day to avoid the storm. I will probably wait until Thursday morning to head north to Gainesville.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/8/18 11:13 a.m.

I'm outside Macon/Warner robins GA on I-75, and right now we're talking about a slim possibility of having tropical force winds Thursday and up to 4" rain. Should make towing lots of fun.

I'm not going to the challenge so if anyone needs an assist around Georgia exit 142 on I-75 S, my number is fore se7en ate - nyne se7en too - Tu se7en for fore.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/8/18 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Karl La Follette :

Karl, you're on the right/strong side of the projected path. Stay safe!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
10/8/18 2:41 p.m.
n8 said:

I know autocross is a rain or shine thing but... that doesn't mean running the event is enjoyable if it's tropical force raining. In case it does rain Friday, I would suggest that the Concours be held Friday and then the autocross on Saturday as rain wouldn't hardly affect the Concours since it's under the shelter anyways and Saturday has a much higher chance of being dry. Just a suggestion.

Saturday actually has a higher rain chance and warmer weather than Friday, so we're going to leave the schedule as-is.

n8
n8 New Reader
10/8/18 2:52 p.m.

Hopefully that forecast stays accurate.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
10/8/18 4:50 p.m.

I have a self storage property and house next door near I85 between Greenville and Atlanta if anyone needs a place to hole up. Sevenzero6 7nine5 02seven2

This will also apply towards other track venues in the future. Plenty of room to work on a car, too. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/8/18 8:13 p.m.

Driving down from Huntsville Wednesday night might be interesting. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/18 8:35 a.m.

With the current forecast I’m somewhat concerned I10 may be closed due to downed trees and/or power lines, even by Thursday evening. Does FL have a good site to monitor traffic & highway conditions?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
10/9/18 8:56 a.m.

My usual transit from Michigan to Gainesville involves getting to Locust Grove, Georgia on Wednesday and finishing the trip Thursday morning. That looks problematic this year. Thursday AM might mean driving in some pretty heavy rain.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/9/18 9:28 a.m.

Central and South Georgia have tropical storm warnings issued for Wednesday night and Thursday. Predicting sustained winds over 40 and gusts up to 60.  Areas south of Macon will get 5-6 " of rain with the heaviest between Perry and Valdosta. Widespread power outages are possible.

Things should be clearing up by Thursday afternoon on the I-75 corridor.

Plan accordingly if you're towing through the area.

cemike2
cemike2 Reader
10/9/18 9:44 a.m.

Everyone knows that towing in heavy rain and high winds is a dangerous thing.

Please, everyone coming down, be careful!  If you need to pull off and hole-up for a while, then do it!  Better to arrive a little later than planned than to not arrive.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the Challenge next weekend, hopefully with no horror stories!

Be safe everyone.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zTgPJtUDDodRvDJl50JqvUEIn7xh4j89GgfWl7fj46QweZPiSdWQTNde2XtvKJND