1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
6/4/24 12:39 p.m.

“Build a Model 3, but without the emotional baggage or the squeaks and rattles.”

We’re not positive that was Hyundai’s exact instruction, but we’re positive that’s what they’ve built. Rather than call it an “Ioniq 6” or a “mid-sized electric sedan” or any other phrase, we’ll just call it how we see it: This is Hyundai’s answer to Tesla’s ubiquitous Model 3.

And on …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/4/24 1:03 p.m.

You know, I've only seen a handful of these in person, I see a lot more of the Ioniq 5.

I also used to see a ton of the Kia EV6, but not so much anymore.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/24 1:07 p.m.

Is this rwd or fwd or awd?

It got me thinking that electrification of cars is probably good for rwd enthusiasts.

I'd rather electric and rwd than gas powered and fwd.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/24 1:13 p.m.

Oh wow, they're keeping up the 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on EVs? Very interesting. Very out of my price range, but very interesting.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/24 1:24 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

They are either RWD or AWD.

dyintorace
6/4/24 1:27 p.m.

We have a 2023 Ioniq 6 and love it. Super comfortable and certainly capable enough. We just did a 1200 mile roundtrip from FL to NC and back. It performed flawlessly. We used EA chargers exclusively, as Hyundai provides 2 years of free charging via EA, and that went perfectly too.

The car is actually fairly large too. Overall length is 191.5", identical to my 2012 BMW X5! Which means the rear seat legroom in the Ioniq is massive. 

dyintorace
6/4/24 1:29 p.m.

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
6/4/24 1:42 p.m.

Why did they decide to make it look like a Pillbug? There's still an open gap in the market for an EV that doesn't look goofy and costs less than $30k, to me Hyundai or Kia could be a likely contender for that spot.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
6/4/24 1:59 p.m.

I generally think Hyundai is killing it in the design department, but I am not a fan of the way this looks...and that's an understatement. Pricing looks really similar to the model 3, which was a pleasant surprise. I think the I5N is super cool but for some reason it costs around $23,000 more than a model Y performance. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
6/4/24 2:09 p.m.
RevRico said:

Oh wow, they're keeping up the 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on EVs? Very interesting. Very out of my price range, but very interesting.

We either got problems or solutions and the line between the two is blurry at best.

I'm pretty certain that hybrids and EVs are required to have a minimum of 8 years/100k miles of warranty coverage on their EV components. Hyundai is kicking in a couple of extra years, but it's not twice what other OEMs are doing like it is in their ICE vehicles.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
6/4/24 2:39 p.m.

Yeah, Ford's is 8 years/100k miles. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/4/24 3:29 p.m.

I saw one in the wild the other day. Looks striking IRL. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/4/24 3:35 p.m.

That droopy-ass rear styling really ruins what would be an otherwise okay-looking car. Reminds of these:

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/4/24 3:40 p.m.

i absolutely despise the rear end on these, its like someone that had never seen one made a 911 rear end from a description they got over a phone call with bad reception. Every time I see it in real life i get annoyed again

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/24 3:45 p.m.

I recall a Hyundai rep saying that they weren't going to be slaves of a particular design language -  Thus the Ioniq 5 and 6 looking so different. I prefer the 5, but LOVE the idea of stylistic variety. That said, a shrunk 5 would make the perfect hot hatch IMO, whereas it's a bit big for that role currently.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/24 3:49 p.m.

I agree the 6 looks awful, but the Ioniq 5 makes up for that. 

deaconblue
deaconblue Reader
6/4/24 3:50 p.m.

I am glad it worked well in it's indented market place and that it should give Telsa a run for it's money vs the Model 3.

dyintorace
6/4/24 5:29 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

I recall a Hyundai rep saying that they weren't going to be slaves of a particular design language -  Thus the Ioniq 5 and 6 looking so different. I prefer the 5, but LOVE the idea of stylistic variety. That said, a shrunk 5 would make the perfect hot hatch IMO, whereas it's a bit big for that role currently.

I agree. The 6 is certainly polarizing. I don't *love* it but my wife sure does! :D

As for a hot hatch, Rivian has you covered with their forthcoming R3.

2026 Rivian R3 Prices, Reviews, and Pictures | Edmunds

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/4/24 5:48 p.m.
dyintorace said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

I agree. The 6 is certainly polarizing. I don't *love* it but my wife sure does! :D

As for a hot hatch, Rivian has you covered with their forthcoming R3.

2026 Rivian R3 Prices, Reviews, and Pictures | Edmunds

The R3 looks like it isn't sure whether it wants to embrace on or off-road. Is Rivian going to have driver-adjustable ride height on those? I think that's why they've been so hard on tires. They get aligned at a given ride height, then used at another point on the camber curve.

As far as polarizing looks, what percentage of the car market are these expected to get? .02 or something? As long as a very small percentage of the buying public likes them, it doesn't much matter what the rest of us thinks.  That said, it does seem like the 5 scratches the masculine itch, while the 6 is more feminine. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/5/24 10:22 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Another car with a droopy butt:

(So, obviously, I like the Ioniq 6’s styling. smiley )

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/5/24 12:41 p.m.

I figured the Ioniq 6 was styled lack for aero reasons, ie mileage/range. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
6/5/24 1:28 p.m.

I'm getting Saab 900 vibes from the rear end styling. And with that, I think it would work better if it only had two doors.

I think it's cool and I would definitely own one over a Tesla 3.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
6/5/24 2:08 p.m.

I just see the mid-90s bubble era:

2023 Hyundai Ioniq 6 first drive: welcome to the future | Digital Trends

1996 Ford Taurus GL - Wagon 3.0L V6 auto

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora Review & Ratings | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora. The official car of... : r/regularcarreviews

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
6/5/24 3:07 p.m.
NickD said:

That droopy-ass rear styling really ruins what would be an otherwise okay-looking car. Reminds of these:

I'm probably one of the few people in the world that sort of likes that Cadillac body style.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/5/24 3:29 p.m.

I don't associate it with the much-maligned droopy-butt trend of the past, because the profile is continuous. A true droopy starts like it will be a conventional trunk, then gives up the ghost.

I'm not a big fan, but it looks better in person than in a picture. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z4oijKny2EuMIgFaJftOGPLQgPCO2AR4VO1R3p2uX2E8AyyUS8INSX5ZSra1aIhG