1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/11/17 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy:

I see you said Chevy. I think this is what you were looking for. This is at County Chevrolet in Hercher. Looks like they only have a couple, usually they have more.

http://www.gmchevydealer.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Work_Truck-Herscher-IL/2919766593

Bradley Bourbonnais Chevy is another place to look.

I also checked Philips Chevrolet in Frankfort and they have a ton of 2WD WTs and a few with V8s currently in their inventory.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
2/11/17 7:22 p.m.

I want a thing! It's seems to cost more than I want to spend and used ones are still too expensive! I shall start a thread and complain about the things that everyone seems to buy at that price that I don't want to pay for!

HARUMPH!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/11/17 8:20 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: Yes, there are a handfull of what I would consider decently optioned 2017 F-150's at my local dealership advertised off for over 20% off right now, with at least one leftover 2016 for over 25% off. And that's with no big special events going on. On a good holiday weekend it's not hard to find 25% 'discount' offers. They're not usually marketed as such, but that's what $10k or more can easily equate to.

I don't really see that around here, but I could be wrong. Got a link?

Nowhere do manufacturers/dealers put more money on the hood more often than full-size pickups, and they STILL make the most profits and largest margins on them. Such extreme pricing games make it pretty obvious that the claimed demand isn't in actually there to even come close to supporting the MSRP. However, by using the sales volume claims without accounting for the widespread and often heavy price discounting, the marketeers and salesmen can try to make it seem that the MSRP is justified based on this misrepresentation of perceived demand. Call it "basic economics" if you want, even if it's not actually based on supply vs true demand, but that type of intentional misleading in an attempt to inflate the sell price is a form of gouging in my humble opinion. And yes, I understand that most of the auto industry is based to some degree or another on this variable pricing model/scheme, but full-size trucks is where I'd argue that it's by far the most flagrantly exhibited.

I fundamentally disagree with this. What is misleading about it? MSRP is a matter of public record. Incentives are a matter of public record. Both are easily found on manufacturer websites. What is being hidden here?

You also seem to have contradicted yourself. The quantities of leftover 2016's would seem to imply that either the full-size trucks don't actually "sell every one they can make", or every other vehicle inherently does so already too simply because they will eventually manage to sell each one they (over) produced. So if not a "dubious" claim, it was at the very least creative marketing-speak.

Or, you know, it's an expression that meant to convey that they sell extremely well. Something that I've provided evidence for.

Now I'm not saying that modern full-size trucks aren't shockingly well developed and capable vehicles, that they don't serve a very important function for many people, that there isn't substantial demand for them to be well equipped, or that the market doesn't support surprisingly high selling prices in relation to their sales volume. Just that that they play the most onerous pricing games of all with full-size trucks, to great effect I might add, and I'm calling B.S. on it.

I still don't see what kind of "game" is being played, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

kb58
kb58 Dork
2/11/17 8:30 p.m.

Not everyone seen driving to work in a truck bought it for image - how about on the weekends. My 2013 F150 has a bed-liner and it's all scratched up from all the stuff I haul. Yeah it's a "waste" when driving to work but having another car along with its insurance doesn't add up for me, even if it gets twice the mileage. Someday I'll probably get an all-electric commuter, then I'll see threads here about how they suck for carrying stuff on the weekends and can't tow race cars...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/11/17 8:54 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote: In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: Throw me a dealer name - the guy in Frankfort has all $45,000 trucks.
Are you looking at a specific brand?

Chevrolet

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
2/11/17 8:58 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: I want a thing! It's seems to cost more than I want to spend and used ones are still too expensive! I shall start a thread and complain about the things that everyone seems to buy at that price that I don't want to pay for! HARUMPH!

Welcome to the GRM forums. Please enjoy your stay!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/11/17 9:19 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote: In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: Throw me a dealer name - the guy in Frankfort has all $45,000 trucks.
Are you looking at a specific brand?
Chevrolet

Check the top of this page. I had made another post,

MacDubois
MacDubois New Reader
2/11/17 11:21 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: Let me get this straight. It's a four door V8, 4wd, 10k lb towing, fire-breathing luxury vehicle. It's less than $50k. How is that overpriced? Don't tell me about truck prices in the 1980s. They don't make trucks like that anymore because nobody would buy them.

Agreed. An AWD, V8 4 door car is also very expensive. A BMW 550i is the cheapest at 63k, and they don't tow nearly as much.

i don't like the idea of a 50+k truck, but I also don't think it's out of line for what you end up with.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
2/11/17 11:34 p.m.

Toyota has to be the most overpriced trucks out there. I was looking at Tacos a while ago and my eyes popped out of my head. Once I wiped the dirt off and put them back in their sockets I could clearly see that I wasn't getting a new truck.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/11/17 11:58 p.m.

Chevrolet is going after the Taco with the ZR2 Colorado.

I agree that the trucks we have now are not at all like the ones of yesteryear. I had the chance to do a short drive in a friend's fairly new GMC truck, and the thing rode like a Caddy and can tow his 23' boat like it wasn't even there, all while kicking tunes through a decent sat radio system. He's one of the ones writing off the truck for work duty and using it to make money, I never heard him complain about the price, which was probably 1/3 what I paid for my house.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/12/17 12:08 a.m.

Are you sure of that?

Phillips Chevrolet in Frankfort has 28 different trucks listed on their website under $30K. They start at $20,976.

The guy in Frankfort

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
2/12/17 1:20 a.m.

"MakeTrucksGreatAgain". Feel free to ban me from the forum. And there was no hate in this post.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
2/12/17 5:20 a.m.

As long as no one is putting a gun to my head forcing me to buy a $40,000+ new truck I don't care if they sell for $10,000 over sticker price, I'll make the decision that I can't afford one and deal with it.

OTOH, if they're selling, then have at it. Free market baby!

(Oh, and I can't effing STAND when people make comments about what other people drive i.e.: "why does that guy need a 3/4 ton pickup" Screw you! I drive a Yukon XL Denali every day that seats 7 and most of the time I'm alone but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be judged by someone when they don't even see it loaded up with kids and their stuff on the weekends. Or 5 people and 4 31" tires in the back. /rant)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/17 5:37 a.m.

The only thing that really gets me about overly-high priced new trucks, is it gives people selling old trucks some idea that it's worth it's weight in gold.

NO, your 1988 F250 with 250k miles and a body made of brown swiss cheese is NOT worth $12k just because a new one costs 50+

I do know that right now, part of artificial secondary market inflation is due to it being winter, and the 4x4 tax that comes along with it, but it's still out of control.

Even rusted out diesel trucks are commanding $8500+ just because they have a diesel in them. Never mind the frame is rotted, the transmission leaks, and the bed is missing.

I'm still at least a year away from being able to buy a tow pig, but seeing how the market is, especially here in salt-land, it might be worth beefing up the suspension on the P71 and driving it till it explodes all over the highway instead of buying an "affordable" used truck that will need a new everything.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
2/12/17 8:38 a.m.

My only complaint is that the newer trucks are all effing huge. Price isn't that big of a deal because you can still get a single cab, rwd v8 base truck for like mid 20s

Something about the size of my old 93 Ram or my Dakota is really all I need but damn, even the new colorados are stupid big compared to my cousins 07.

Also, whoever mentioned the 3.0 diesel dodges, thanks, I totally need to be looking to see how much they cost to buy as a standalone engine.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/12/17 9:07 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
Are you sure of that? Phillips Chevrolet in Frankfort has 28 different trucks listed on their website under $30K. They start at $20,976. The guy in Frankfort

From an earlier post he made. Looks like he wants a V8 powered truck. Not sure what bed length or Cab he was looking for, but still, there's only few V8 powered ones. Hopefully he finds one without having to order one.

Nomad
Nomad Reader
2/12/17 9:09 a.m.

The problem I have is that happily driving my cars for 10 years or so means that when I pop my head up like a prairie dog and look for a vehicle today I'm shocked by the prices too. I have to readjust my inner baseline to today's prices, weights, HP levels and MPG. Wow, 350hp available in a ford Flex? Wow, Ford Flex weighs 4,900 lb? 2.0l = 250 hp Hatchbacks? Big Trucks and Suburbans (gas guzzlers in my mind) "actually" get the same mileage as my 328? $15k - $28K cars and trucks in my mind are actually $25k - $45K See that 'boring minivan' over there? $55k!

Oh well, I'll always complain, just need to up my baseline to today's standards.

Tom_Spangler
2/12/17 10:38 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: (Oh, and I can't effing STAND when people make comments about what other people drive i.e.: "why does that guy need a 3/4 ton pickup" Screw you! I drive a Yukon XL Denali every day that seats 7 and most of the time I'm alone but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be judged by someone when they don't even see it loaded up with kids and their stuff on the weekends. Or 5 people and 4 31" tires in the back. /rant)

This. SO MUCH this. I see it on every enthusiast forum and every time I talk to car people. The judgement. Who are we to say what someone else should be driving? Car folks love to talk about how "stupid" it is when people DD trucks and SUVs, when they have no idea how those people actually use those vehicles. And it's not like Miatas, 911s, and pony cars are all that practical, yet we love those.

Drive and let drive, I say.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/12/17 12:02 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Are you sure of that? Phillips Chevrolet in Frankfort has 28 different trucks listed on their website under $30K. They start at $20,976. The guy in Frankfort
From an earlier post he made. Looks like he wants a V8 powered truck. Not sure what bed length or Cab he was looking for, but still, there's only few V8 powered ones. Hopefully he finds one without having to order one.

OK.

Same site shows (3) V8's under $30K, (26) under $35K, and (125) under $40K.

The guy in Frankfort V8's

He said they were all $45K trucks.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/12/17 12:26 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
SVreX wrote:
OK. Same site shows (3) V8's under $30K, (26) under $35K, and (125) under $40K. The guy in Frankfort V8's He said they were all $45K trucks.

Dude, I'm not arguing with you. I went through their inventory last night. He said he wants a 2WD WT with a V8 and locking rear diff on his post from the previous page. Didn't specify what body style or bed length. Most WTs are V6 trucks. Some of the V8 trucks don't have locking diffs.

Philips Chevrolet mobile website is different from most other Chevy Dealers websites. It's a little harder to sift through their inventory quickly on the phone.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
2/12/17 1:21 p.m.

Everything is expensive now. Even when the last time I went car shopping (well SUV shopping) in '12 they were expensive.

5 years ago the entry price into an SUV was $45k and that was for a low end Grand Cherokee or Tahoe. Used SUV's were almost as much as new ones.

As far as use, my Cayenne Turbo is my DD, ski machine and tow vehicle. Yeah, I'm mostly in it solo and it gets craptacular gas mileage. Short of a newer Cayenne Diesel, there's nothing out there that fits my needs...

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/17 2:48 p.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: In reply to Furious_E: This X10. I know a truck should be making you money to pay for itself but for those that want something that'll be used to tow a dozen times a year and it already has 200k on the clock for around 10k that seems absurd. Especially how much crap American trucks get for being rusted out and falling apart after 100k in miles. One of these days I'll bite the bullet though.

I think I'd trust most domestic half tons up to 200k or so these days, provided the tin worm can be held at bay long enough. The part that I'm struggling with is finding that optimal spot on the depreciation/useable life curve for my needs.

And even though it's WAY overkill for my needs and would be an empty daily driver 99% of the time, I really think there's a case to be made for a 3/4 ton diesel. I've done the math and it comes out at worst a wash (unless it's a real lemon, because boy howdy can diesel repairs get expensive). The fuel mileage helps a lot putting on 20k a year, but the damn things just never depreciate below $7-10k or so. The pre 07ish examples of the modern diesels (I.e. Cummins, Dmax, and 7.3 Powerstroke) I think will continue to do especially well for years to come.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/12/17 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

318k right here.

Though mine is a 3/4 Ton, but tin is tin.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/17 3:55 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Everything is expensive now. Even when the last time I went car shopping (well SUV shopping) in '12 they were expensive. 5 years ago the entry price into an SUV was $45k and that was for a low end Grand Cherokee or Tahoe. Used SUV's were almost as much as new ones. As far as use, my Cayenne Turbo is my DD, ski machine and tow vehicle. Yeah, I'm mostly in it solo and it gets craptacular gas mileage. Short of a newer Cayenne Diesel, there's nothing out there that fits my needs...

You need to go to a different Jeep dealer next time. We're shopping SUVs and 2017 Grand Cherokees start at under $31k with 0% financing. Even the optioned-up Altitude version we're looking at is under $38k. I think we'll end up with a $30k Mazda though. Lower FCA content

Tom_Spangler
2/12/17 5:10 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: I think I'd trust most domestic half tons up to 200k or so these days, provided the tin work can be held at bay long enough. The part that I'm struggling with is finding that optimal spot on the depreciation/useable life curve for my needs.

That's another nice thing about the aluminum-bodied trucks that are out and are coming. The tin worm can't get them. Though, the frames, springs, brake lines, and everything else on the underside will still be vulnerable.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YWWat5HB2N8VxDpNB1oB56O86BZcYGWyN1K0mBWjWQDIekEyuS4dEeyM03qC3Gh2