z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/15/18 8:02 a.m.

DD, occasional AutoX, maybe an HPDE here or there (not a ton or hardcore). Decent life and grip, etc. 

The car currently sits on the stock BMW 261 wheels, 18x7.5, 18x8.5, 215/40/18 and 245/35/18 Pilot SuperSportX (Run flats since the car has no spare). And these have plenty of life, Pilot SS aren't exactly a "winter tire" but we typically don't get much wintry weather here, and if we do, I work from home.

The new wheels for the 135i are, Satin Black ARC-8s. Going an inch wider front and rear so the new sizes will be 18x8.5 and 18x9.5. And I'll be stepping up to 235/40/18 and 265/35/18. If I wait and do the coilovers first, I'll do 245/35/18 up front, since the 135i is a bit porky. 

Thoughts?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/15/18 10:14 a.m.

I ran that model tire on my 135i and I loved them.  I came off a set of worn Pilot SS in stock 18" sizes, and chose the Conti Extreme Contact Sports for their superior wet performance and stellar dry performance at the price point.  I did one higher speed autocross (on road course) and they were surprisingly good and plenty of street miles.  

For what it's worth, I went to 235's on the front, and still had some rubbing on occasion even after working the fenders a bit on coilovers and M3 control arms for more camber.  Wheels were 8.5's on front, but I don't recall the exact offset.  I ran 255/35's on the rear on 9.5's. 

It's tricky to get much tire on these without getting offsets exactly right and pushing on the fenders a bit, camber, etc.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/15/18 10:27 a.m.

Yep, the 235/265 combo is a "no-rub" fit according to Apex, that's why the rear has a weird ET58 offset on the stock suspension.  245/35 is a no-rub up front with camber and 5mm spacer (I'm also converting the car to studs). 

Apparently you can pull off 255/275 with camber, fenders rolled flat and the perfect offset. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/15/18 6:58 p.m.

I guess no other suggestions? smiley

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
3/15/18 7:01 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I guess no other suggestions? smiley

I mean, you could get the Firehawk Indy 500, but they're not as good.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
3/15/18 7:02 p.m.

Wow, didn't realize the 135i had that little room up front. I would have thought it was similar to an E36. (I could fit 255s on 17x9s pretty easily with spacers and a +45 offset.) 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
3/15/18 7:03 p.m.

I have BFG Sport Comp-2s on my 128i. They're fine, but they have zero winter capability (I run snows in the winter).

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/15/18 7:20 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Wow, didn't realize the 135i had that little room up front. I would have thought it was similar to an E36. (I could fit 255s on 17x9s pretty easily with spacers and a +45 offset.) 

That initially turned me off from them, then I drove one and realized while it may not be the absolute most beastly track weapon even with the SuperSports only at 215 there is still great grip and feel.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
3/16/18 10:33 a.m.

I got tired of paying PSS prices for the M3 so I tried Kuhmo Ecsta PS91 and I am way impressed.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/16/18 3:24 p.m.

Ooohhhh. Those are cheap! If I went that route I may be able to put the wheels on sooner rather than later. 

I've had the car two months and it's still bone, stock. 

I think the BRZ had a catback, tune, and coilovers within 3 months of owning it.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
3/19/18 12:42 p.m.

I can't give them an unqualified recommendation yet.  I haven't used them at enough tracks enough times to be 100% sure what's going on. 

I have a lot of time on PSS at the track as a baseline, and based on a couple of weekends (VIR and Summit Main), the PS91s were getting the job done in a very similar way.

I have given up using PSS.  I went through a couple sets when I was trying to find a way to show up in the M3 at the track without a spare set of wheels, go all weekend with a decent amount of traction, and then go back to daily driving.  Unfortunately, the PSS kept getting worn to the cords at the shoulders, in about 4 weekends.

I don't mind paying PS91 prices for the privilege of arrive-and-drive, even if they are gone in 4 weekends.  

Most times I will suck it up, put the NT01s or the Federal Z-201s in the back seat, and do the wheel-swap hokey pokey.  They are so much better than anything streetable, it's totally worth the effort.  But it's a half-hour of work on both ends of the day, and sometimes I'm already so tired that it will be a day-wrecker.  Plus if it's raining off and on all day, I lose interest in making multiple swaps. 

For the other track-specific cars, I use track-specific rubber.  But I'm always looking for a bargain in track-specific rubber.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/19/18 2:15 p.m.

That's interesting about the wearing the outer edges.........I wonder if that's the PSS thing or did you not have enough camber?

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
3/20/18 2:09 p.m.
z31maniac said:

That's interesting about the wearing the outer edges.........I wonder if that's the PSS thing or did you not have enough camber?

Always a good question to ask yourself when you're looking at edge wear. 

I'm using Terry's (Vorschlag's) nice-nice track camber plates.  I can't remember the exact setting, but it is the "consensus" negative number for an E92 M3, high enough that I figured I'd wear out the inside edges off the track first so I made sure I was at 0 toe.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/20/18 3:02 p.m.

Gotcha, possibly you needed even more! I noticed on a recent post from the guys at 949 Racing they are up to using -4° on their GT350 for HPDE on street tires. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oaTk6dtBWJOu5G9XosuMU4InmpsqtNeV3Idw8cltth3C0xtDlKaDv35D9sllue23