1 2 3
spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
8/26/08 1:37 p.m.

Nissan VG or VQ?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/26/08 2:36 p.m.

The Nissan VG/VQ is looking like a strong contender at the moment. Plenty of them around and 300 HP is very doable.

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
8/26/08 3:19 p.m.

Rover V8s are even more common then the 1UZ in the junkyards i go to (i saw like 5 of them in a day the last time i went to the yards). An F20 would be cool though, but expensive.

bluej
bluej Reader
8/26/08 3:27 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: The Nissan VG/VQ is looking like a strong contender at the moment. Plenty of them around and 300 HP is very doable.

hmm, if you're considering that, then you could do a 3.5L 6g74 montero block with 3000gt/stealth DOHC heads and turbo setup for easy 450+

or complete 3.0L 6g72 motor out of the same for 320+stock and 400 pretty easily attainable.

just not sure on the weight. iron block and alloy heads.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
8/26/08 4:50 p.m.

LS1 is all aluminium. Probably not much more weight than you had in that hole.

LS1 size may not be as big a deal as you think. Old chevy smallblock was a bit wide in the hips, but the LS1 less so. I wonder if the fact that Ls1 heads bolt on to a 302 is indicative of dimensional similarity?

I had the experience of being in the seat when a driveshaft let loose in the tunnel. Lucky me the car was on jackstands and I was testing out my home-made driveshaft to mate a fiat tranny to a MG Midget rear end. I left the car over the top of the door in seconds flat. Probably would have had the same reaction had I been driving down the road when it happened.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/26/08 5:07 p.m.

The guy driving this car said the right side of the seat was shoved over onto his leg. Lucky man.

Another scary driveshaft story: there used to be an MG shop called Start Your Engines and I had one of their catalogs. In it, there was a story about the owner, when he was a teenager he and a friend had a need to tow a LBC a few blocks with no tranny in it. They were going to flat tow it with a pipe and chain. Since the driveshaft was flopping around, their fix was to have the guy steering hold the front of the driveshaft with a fan belt. It appears the rear tires on the towed car began skidding, prompting the guy driving the tow car to stop. He ran back to find his friend's arm literally wrapped around the driveshaft.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
84smma4mmxNCeohQ5j8Cxt478RP8reMiznHNyylsPswmNLNdZvqmVXLmO9zKRpSq