nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/10/24 4:22 p.m.

We talked briefly about this like..  15 years ago.  And it comes up from time to time.  But as the information is somewhat time dependent as buisinesses change ownership and managment it is worth revisiting.  

I find myself in the market (likely) for a JDM Subaru engine.  There are literally HUNDREDS of companies that import them.  Almost all of them per reviews and online comments are simultaneously the shadiest facility on earth and "The only place to go to get JDM engines" and recommended by multiple people.  I'm sure the reality is somewhere in between with people having unusually high expectations and unusually low understanding of the potential differences with automotive parts from continents that are not the same as the one you live on.  

I trust and value your opinions fellow GRMers.  Has anyone bought a JDM engine lately and had a good experience.  Bonus points for Subaru.  EXTRA BONUS points if its in the Midwest and I could drive to pick it up.  

Also if anyone has a good EJ205 they are selling let me know.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/10/24 4:39 p.m.

I always have mixed experiences with places. I've purchased quality F20Bs and gotten turds from the same locations in Orlando. 

These dudes literally just buy shipping containers full of whatever their supplier in Japan fills them up with and QC is non-existent. It's a gamble on everyones end. 

I personally like to show up to these places with a few tools like a compression gauge, a spark plug socket, a 3-5ft breaker bar, a socket for the crank snub, and a few friends to try and get a E36 M3ty read on compression before buying. 

I've since stopped and just started junkyard hunting for H22s instead. Especially since prices on F20Bs and other JDM engines is creeping higher and higher. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
6/11/24 1:36 p.m.

^^ what he said.

In the Honda world, the only standout is HMotorsonline...but you pay a premium for their stamp of approval.

About the best you can do is pull valve cover to make certain there isn't a pile of sludge (I got one like that).

Can also pop off the intake and exhaust manifolds to look inside for condition of valves.

An endoscope through the spark plug hole can also be revealing.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/1/24 2:12 p.m.

bump.

Anyone else care to share their experience?

I need an engine for a 2012 Prius V.  I'm strongly considering this one:

JDM Engine Depot out of New Jersey.  I'd have it shipped to me.  Thoughts?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/4/24 2:21 p.m.

Bump.

Anyone have any personal experience to share ?  Recommendations ?

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
9/6/24 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

At the very least, they've been around for a long time. I think I went there 15-20 years ago to look at half cuts in person. With the fly by night nature of a lot of these places, it may slightly count for something. I'm sure a lemon gets through every once in a while at the volumes they do.

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
9/6/24 12:33 p.m.

I searched on eBay for engine resellers that were within driving distance for the engine I wanted, then contacted them directly offline.  It's still a bit of a crap shoot, but at least you can examine the engine in person when picking it up, and often they have a couple to choose from.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KfAKmiY92x9wqRJTTRUNJD64BJSbs7hUX7PiiAtWeleLK2bfLlRlSyTJqDm4BGqM