1 2 3
SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/2/12 10:16 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
AutoXR wrote: Look for an early 2000's outback with the McIntosh
Did those come to the US?

I've never seen anything but the crappy Clarion-built stereos in US-bound Subarus.

I'd look for aftermarket stuff. Even the crappiest polymer cone aftermarket speakers usually outclass most "premium" stock stereos.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/2/12 10:22 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: the Turbo II is inspiring.

Indeed it is, mine won't be quite that fancy.

I did score a lightly used rotozip from craigslist last night for $30, way less than half of new.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
5/3/12 11:40 a.m.

How about a Nakamichi system from a Lexus? I know my SC and a couple other models offered the Nakamichi as an option...

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/3/12 1:21 p.m.

Aftermarket. I scored an Alpine Head unit, and a JL Audio sub for 15 bucks

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/4/12 12:27 p.m.

Went to the yard today and managed to score some P71 JBLs before someone else gt them, as well as some Ford "premium" 6x9s to add a little bass.

Couldn't find a voltmeter though :(

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/4/12 4:42 p.m.

Got it all bench tested, now I'm just waiting on a couple more things to come in the mail and a trip to the store for a sheet of plywood.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/6/12 1:26 p.m.

Done!

Well mostly any ways, just waiting on the handles and voltmeter to come in the mail.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/6/12 1:53 p.m.

Looks great! And that's no humble boom box, man, that's a GHETTO BLASTER! Throw on some early hip hop and get dancing!

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/6/12 2:50 p.m.

Other than a couple of on the fly measurements this was the extent of the planning that went in to it lol.

And the insides.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
5/6/12 3:54 p.m.

Add a solar panel 45w kit from Harbour freight to keep the battery charged

I have had my shop radio set up for years that way. If you pair batteries then if you need one it is always charged.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/8/12 1:03 p.m.

You should try to find a decent subwoofer and amplifier. More bass

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/8/12 2:51 p.m.

I actually have one from an old car I sold, I've been contemplating it as it definitely needs more oomph.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/11/12 9:59 a.m.

So woot! had a projector a few weeks ago for $35 shipped, it's pretty awful, but it's enough to play Super Nintendo.

garaithon
garaithon New Reader
5/11/12 12:30 p.m.

You are my hero!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/11/12 12:35 p.m.

I was ripping through a Taurus SHO and found some nice speakers and OK amps. Pretty much any car that would come with a premium should system. Eddie Bauer Explorer. (Bauer F150 won't, but mine seems to kick well.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/11/12 1:59 p.m.

Wow. Can you please put up a simplified diagram of the wiring technique? I want to get around to making one, but the wiring seems complicated. I guess it's just that I'm new to stereo stuff.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/11/12 2:55 p.m.
snap_understeer wrote: Wow. Can you please put up a simplified diagram of the wiring technique? I want to get around to making one, but the wiring seems complicated. I guess it's just that I'm new to stereo stuff.

It's a lot simpler than the rats nest of wires in my picture conveys.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/13/12 11:14 p.m.

Rest of the stuff came yesterday, it's officially done done.

Handles, voltmeter, antenna, charger cable passthrough, and corner protectors.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/13/12 11:15 p.m.

And a quick tour vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT3E1oLwJQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wiC-MyL1Qs

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/13/12 11:48 p.m.

I could totally beat you at Mario Kart. Been playing that game since release.

And nice screen name, BTW.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/14/12 11:22 a.m.

What would the cost of it all be? If you can get back to me, I'll post pics of my own when I get it together.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/14/12 12:00 p.m.

I have somewhere between $100-150 in to it. Minus the headunit, inverter, and battery since I had those laying around.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/14/12 12:24 p.m.
e_pie wrote: I have somewhere between $100-150 in to it. Minus the headunit, inverter, and battery since I had those laying around.

What about minus the Projector, SNES, and Disco ball?

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/14/12 12:27 p.m.

Projector was $35

Disco ball was $7

SNES I've had for quite a while.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
5/14/12 10:58 p.m.

I don't get it. Is this supposed to be a mobile setup? It seems unnecessarily complicated. If you can take it somewhere and set the projector pointing at a wall or something then it is awesome. I see you have it plugged into the wall, does it have to be that way? If so I think you made it way too complicated. Looks like fun though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IkLbrq8DgASf5Su8wrQd9B7y0bSzhmOMZoIvtGaDLZ4BAFOxQ6er0d1mydWXC0GF