1 2
duetto_67
duetto_67 New Reader
5/10/10 11:06 p.m.

sure sounds like the same type of accounting that got bear stearns where they are today...... but if you can make it work more power to ya...

I have a 2004 Jetta Tdi that i drive every day and very much like. Nothing but typical wear items, and 44+ mpg (BEW engine, not the best for mileage).

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/10 6:06 a.m.

Bear Stearns? Really? I don't see any subprime lending involved. I don't see CEO hording involved. I don't see fiscal irresponsibility involved.

I do see a guy that wants to get to work without dragging his family out at 6am to get dropped off to work only to have to bum a ride at 6pm to pick up his wifes van at her (evening) job only to have to drag the kids out to pick up his wife at 3am when she gets off to work.

John Brown
5/11/10 7:44 a.m.

And no I am not pissed for the constructive suggestions, but I do need "reliable" transportation that will not cost me more per month than I am paying currently.

4g63t
4g63t Reader
5/11/10 8:18 a.m.

There are actually times when you need to bury a dead car in a second one, and this seems like one of them. He's smart enough to know what he's doing here. Unlike the legions of fools who do it for no good reason (I was sick of that car being the main reason )

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/11/10 9:04 a.m.

Sounds like a sound plan to me. I wouldn't be afraid of that car, but I guess I either don't get bothered by minor inconveniences, or I've been REALLY lucky with my hoard of VAG cars. Either way, they seem to have always been pretty reliable for me. That being said, couldn't you just test continuity on the wires of the affected harness and just run some redundant wires? Seems a lot easier than replacing the harness. Or get a harness from a junkyard for $100 and swap it yourself. The engine doesn't actually have to come out, but the dash does. Or make the deal on the GLI, fix the Stratus in your spare time using one of the cost effective manners I've suggested, and sell it before it fries again and put the money towards the loan. Or sell the Jetta and pay off the loan and hope to hell the harness doesn't fry again.

John Brown
5/11/10 9:27 a.m.

The harness is about 130 wires bundled and from my testing and prodding I am looking at, at least, 1/3 of the bundle corrupt. Remember this actually started a few weeks back with the fuel gauge acting up. Where the harness is is the bitch. It goes from the fuse box under the computer around the strut tower and between thelower portion of the brake booster and strut tower in to the dash.

I have disassembled the air box, PCM, TCM and fuse box for testing and can still only BARELY get a hand into the harness. It is my intention to fix the Stratus after I get back on the road.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/11/10 10:16 a.m.
John Brown wrote: The harness is about 130 wires bundled and from my testing and prodding I am looking at, at least, 1/3 of the bundle corrupt. Remember this actually started a few weeks back with the fuel gauge acting up. Where the harness is is the bitch. It goes from the fuse box under the computer around the strut tower and between thelower portion of the brake booster and strut tower in to the dash. I have disassembled the air box, PCM, TCM and fuse box for testing and can still only BARELY get a hand into the harness. It is my intention to fix the Stratus after I get back on the road.

Yikes. Well if you decide to buy one, PM me the specifics of the car. We have 640 billion Sebrings and Stratii out there, so I'm sure I can come up with the right one for you pretty cheap.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/11/10 12:02 p.m.

I understand the burying the car in another, however I would still try to bury it in a cheaper car. Keep in mind you are prepared to pay $500 today to fix it, and that you probably could sell you stratus shell for another $500, so your really only looking to bury $2500. You buy something private party and then finance it on Retail, you can bury quite a bit of money. Although I'd be Very tempted to just buy a $500 beater/borrow a car so you don't go from being within a few payments of car loan free to re-starting a 4-5 year loan at the same payment, and just find yourself in the same boat in a year when the VW needs the front suspension gone through, or an Auto trans replaced, or the electrics let the smoke out, or whatever.

good luck with whatever you do.

John Brown
5/11/10 12:53 p.m.

It is all a big catch 22.

I declined on a beater (actually passed it to someone in need) for $500.00 and now I can't find ANYTHING roadworthy for less than $2000.00 in the Mitten. Remember Roadworthy for me personally is a lot different than what I can put the youngest son in (Reactive Airway Disease and highly allergic). A car that is roadworthy for Trevor is completely different than one for me.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
5/11/10 2:28 p.m.

Correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but he WORKS at a VW dealer. Big difference between him buying a low-ball VW and the average car buyer.

Say what you will about VW reliability, but the MkIV definitely set a new standard for interior finish and feel. Despite 7 years and nearing 216K miles, the tan leather interior in my TDI still impresses people. Especially after they learn I paid less than $21K (new) for the car.

John Brown
5/11/10 2:47 p.m.

Y'are correct Ian. I work for Lansing LARGEST VW dealer (locals will get that joke). And remember, I know a bunch of VW guys on line ;)

John Brown
5/11/10 3:44 p.m.

Well the funding is in place. The GLI will cost me $7800.00 (before interest) and I should be legal on Thursday.

Woo hoo, go DEBT!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/10 7:41 p.m.

John, you can have my '96 PGT for $1500, includes a spare set of PGT 16" alloys with Dunlop WinterSport3D's in 205/55.

Currently needs new summer tires -- 3 out of 4 are corded -- and the AC ain't working. Other than those, she's a peach.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
86yjMx5AIEPl8XgIWE2n2JY6WWSvOVw9GjxKyYjjCW3vZaGfePq1LF2O5FXl9jGd