1 2 3 4 5
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/19 10:03 a.m.

As a fellow Land Rover owner, and a Discovery owner at that, I am sorry but the Freelander is not worth that kind of coin. I did drop 8 grand into an Atlantic British engine for my disco, but everything else has been top notch on my truck at 110,000 miles. If I had to drop 20 or 30 grand into it, I would have melted down the aluminum for recycling. As a cute ute with decent off-road abilities, the Freelander is just not worth the effort, there are better vehicles out there.

I am glad yours has been trouble free since, but you are talking about a car that was worth maybe $40,000 new. Having ford drop another $30,000 is madness for the average person.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/19 10:07 a.m.

Depends what you mean by "decent". I was a trail leader for the Land Rover National Rally 15-odd years ago. During training, we had to discuss exactly how to get a Freelander up various obstacles that would not bother the other Land Rovers and Range Rovers. By the standard of the brand at the time, it was pretty inept. Might have been as good as Ford Escape, but it was a Land Rover!

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/19 10:14 a.m.
scottmartin49 said:

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

Ehh...it bothers me when know-nothing dumb f**ks just spew the regular talking points from that heady position they hold inside their own sphincters. Doesn't matter if it's cars, politics, or sports...

You bought a vehicle widely acknowledged to be a steaming heap. You told us your particular heap required extensive repairs to be made somewhat reliable, and then signed up to a forum to resurrect a three year old thread to tell us it's Land Rover's finest? I'm not thinking you will get a lot of support here. It's the reason I do not talk much about my short stint of ownership of a Liberty CRD.

mad_machine
12/9/19 12:27 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Depends what you mean by "decent". I was a trail leader for the Land Rover National Rally 15-odd years ago. During training, we had to discuss exactly how to get a Freelander up various obstacles that would not bother the other Land Rovers and Range Rovers. By the standard of the brand at the time, it was pretty inept. Might have been as good as Ford Escape, but it was a Land Rover!

I should have used the word "soft roader"

scottmartin49
scottmartin49 New Reader
12/9/19 6:06 p.m.

What a lot of wankers. Half-a-dozen dubious posts by the self proclaimed 'car-teligentia' qualifying evrything but how strictly f**king useless your input actually is.

You d*mbf*ucks are an embarassment to the very concepts of 'learning' and 'knowledge'- no wonder I dropped this rag 15 years ago...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/9/19 6:15 p.m.

Ah. One of these guys. Smells like a garage full of gorillas. 

scottmartin49
scottmartin49 New Reader
12/9/19 6:25 p.m.
Mndsm said:

(Self-aggrandising attempt to end debate by debasing oppositional comment via ad-hominem attack) 

mad_machine
12/9/19 6:37 p.m.

what I want to know.. how did you get Ford to pony up 30 grand to fix your Freelander up? Any bean counter worth their salt would have pulled the plug at 10 grand and just bought it back

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/9/19 6:55 p.m.

In reply to scottmartin49 :

1. Many of us to some extent stated either a lack of interest in the vehicle in general or evidence/experience that suggested it wasn't reliable.

2. Jokes comparing a Freelander to a Biturbo are jokes.

3. Why did you come here just to revive a dead discussion and turn it into an argument? 

Most people here are willing to be corrected if they are in fact wrong and are in this hobby to learn and develope in some form or another. However I have never encountered anyone that responds well to being openly insulted by somebody they don't know.

If you want to educate me, by all means please do. I love learning new things. I believe you've definitely gone about it the wrong way if that actually is your goal though.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/9/19 7:02 p.m.

Once you spend $30k on it.  It's just like a $10k v6 rav4.  Without the reliability. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/9/19 7:03 p.m.
scottmartin49 said:
Mndsm said:

(Self-aggrandising attempt to end debate by debasing oppositional comment via ad-hominem attack) 

(Poorly veiled attempt at being a controversial troll in an attempt to garner any kind of validation, negative otherwise). I can use big words too.

Now, we could be civil about this, or you could continue to be an asshat. Anecdotal advice and seeing utterly 0 of them on the road leads me to believe that there is absolutely no redeeming quality within the freelander. When you say someone put 30 large into the repair of a vehicle, and not say, a full rotisserie restoration, I would say that the vehicle is not in fact, reliable, desirable, or any combination thereof. Your argument has consisted mostly of name calling and/or attempting to take a stance of moral superiority on the stance of NO U. I've read enough of this entire thing to know absolutely nothing more about these vehicles than when I started. If you wanna change some minds , I'd shelve the vitriol, maybe apologize, and start making actual arguments. 30k of someone else's money isn't a valid argument. Give me 30k and I bet I can make one reliable too. 

I'll assume you're gonna be banned as soon as a mod comes across this, or at least told to chill the berkeley out. I'm going to further assume you're going to piss and moan until that happens. I would absolutely love to see you prove me wrong and argue a solid reason why myself or anyone here should go find and rescue one of these things. I've seen it all here, from mad_machine and his engine adventure, to m4ffew and trying to daily a biturbo. You wanna talk shop and weird E36 M3? You're home. You wanna get some lab grade horse blood? We got you. You wanna be a toddler who's had his transformer taken away and throw a fit like it's everyone else's fault? This ain't vortex. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/19 7:06 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to scottmartin49 :

1. Many of us to some extent stated either a lack of interest in the vehicle in general or evidence/experience that suggested it wasn't reliable.

2. Jokes comparing a Freelander to a Biturbo are jokes.

3. Why did you come here just to revive a dead discussion and turn it into an argument? 

Most people here are willing to be corrected if they are in fact wrong and are in this hobby to learn and develope in some form or another. However I have never encountered anyone that responds well to being openly insulted by somebody they don't know.

If you want to educate me, by all means please do. I love learning new things. I believe you've definitely gone about it the wrong way if that actually is your goal though.

This. I came super close to pulling the trigger on a yellow SE3 when new. If there were a magic bullet (like the LM Engineering IMS bearing kit for Porsche) I'd be seriously considering scooping one up as a beater. Maybe try to find a NOS soft top dealer accessory and a period correct spare tire cover with a hippo.

I don't want to engage with trolling, so hopefully we've all gotten off on the wrong foot. If there is a preventative solution that will keep a US market V6 petrol Freelander on the road and keep the cylinder liners where they belong, I would like to learn what that solution is. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/9/19 7:36 p.m.

Wankers??  He called US wankers!  

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
12/9/19 8:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

They have always reminded me of a Ford Escape, fitting comment. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/9/19 8:59 p.m.
scottmartin49 said:

What a lot of wankers. Half-a-dozen dubious posts by the self proclaimed 'car-teligentia' qualifying evrything but how strictly f**king useless your input actually is.

You d*mbf*ucks are an embarassment to the very concepts of 'learning' and 'knowledge'- no wonder I dropped this rag 15 years ago...

Your opinion of me is so important, I feel devastated. I think I will go cry in the corner now.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/9/19 9:44 p.m.

I'm not sure whether our new friend understands that spending $30k under warranty on a vehicle, still new enough to have that warranty offered, reinforces all our preconceived notions regarding the reliability of said vehicle.

I am also concerned that having to spend $30k on a five year old vehicle probably doesn't really make it reliable enough to survive another fifteen years of use.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/9/19 9:55 p.m.
dculberson said: I think I will go cry in the corner now.

I was already doing that. Is that not normal?

bearmtnmartin
12/9/19 10:21 p.m.

Somewhere on a freelander forum we are being abused terribly.

bearmtnmartin
12/9/19 10:26 p.m.

bearmtnmartin
12/9/19 10:27 p.m.

Tell us how you really feel Scott

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
12/10/19 5:49 p.m.

Well,this was fun.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/10/19 6:02 p.m.

Almost as much fun as Fogger Jr. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/10/19 6:26 p.m.

I kinda want to know where he went. Surely that was not his a list material. 

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/10/19 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I too am not "cool" enough!    Does anyone have a definition for UMEWW's? or am I missing something? Also I figured out the usage of "berk" but have not been able to figure out why it is used as such.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
12/10/19 7:09 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I'm pretty slow, I just got this! Garage Gorilla! 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kbJZNkdGNcs8OBytDEiqnBCFT9bRU183BqXziclmuVNWqFwNMqBcR4CqWxCIRpRf