1 2 3 4 5
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/19 8:28 p.m.

somebody take his Freelander and go home? I honestly wanted to know how he got Ford to pony up so much cash to fix it?

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/10/19 9:07 p.m.

maybe he got his li'l feelin' hurt when nobody would sink to his level and start throwing insults around while actin' tha fool.....

Went back to the forums I WOULDN'T join, where this is situation normal!

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
12/11/19 10:19 a.m.

This thread was enjoyable to read - funny at the start and then a plot twist near the end. I feel like there's some good raw material for a meme or two.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
12/11/19 7:26 p.m.
03Panther said:

maybe he got his li'l feelin' hurt when nobody would sink to his level and start throwing insults around while actin' tha fool.....

Went back to the forums I WOULDN'T join, where this is situation normal!

There are a lot of forums where this is normal and is one of the reasons I like it here so much

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
12/11/19 8:21 p.m.

At least we got a new term, 

Freelander reliability: Only need to spend $30k to fix it and then follow maintenance schedule religiously. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/11/19 10:33 p.m.

I don't think I've ever seen a Freelander in the wild. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/19 11:42 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Freelander in the wild. 

I have seen one. I did see an LR2 today, I was sitting behind it at a light and almost missed that it was a LandRover. 

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/12/19 12:23 a.m.

Might see 'em in LA (Los Angeles) , but I've never noticed one here in "L. A." (Lower Alabama)! Although, technically, I'm a bit North of "L.A." - I'm just a bit above the panhandle. "Couurse 'round here, you cant tell where the line is, till ya get to the beach... and sometimes not then!

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/12/19 7:36 a.m.

I guess the GRM community has really ticked off all 5 members of the Freelander community. Who knew? I saw one the other day, and got thinking about how someone on here, Swank Force One perhaps, dubbed it the anti-Answer.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/19 10:32 a.m.
mad_machine said:

somebody take his Freelander and go home? I honestly wanted to know how he got Ford to pony up so much cash to fix it?

Maybe the transmission went and he couldn't get to a computer.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/12/19 11:28 a.m.

We had a Portuguese family in our neighborhood that owned one.  I always wondered how long it would last.  Then one day I saw a rollback dropping it off in the driveway.  It sat there for a few weeks and then disappeared, never to return.  

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
12/13/19 4:29 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Wait, why are we dragging a three year old thread to do a rant? Anything can be good with 30 large into it. Even a biturbo. 

I originally read 'biturbo' as 'burrito' and thought "Man, that'd be an awesome burrito!"  Then I realized it said biturbo and I thought, "Man, 30 grand might not be enough."

Also, I stand by my herpes comment made nearly four years ago on page 1.  Also, my 46 year old Land Rover requires nearly zero maintenance.  I don't even have to change the oil.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/13/19 4:51 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:
Mndsm said:

Wait, why are we dragging a three year old thread to do a rant? Anything can be good with 30 large into it. Even a biturbo. 

I originally read 'biturbo' as 'burrito' and thought "Man, that'd be an awesome burrito!" 

My new life goal is to drop 30k on a burrito.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/13/19 8:55 p.m.
Daylan C said:
Apis Mellifera said:
Mndsm said:

I originally read 'biturbo' as 'burrito' and thought "Man, that'd be an awesome burrito!" 

My new life goal is to drop 30k on a burrito.

You ok overnighting a5 wagyu from Japan? Or how do you feel about tuna?

scottmartin49
scottmartin49 New Reader
4/10/20 12:00 p.m.

Page and a half of idiocy, and one comment worth responding to;

$30k in warrantee repairs at a LR dealer gets you;

2 new engines complete and installed (first one had a stuck lifter- they replaced the whole engine)

heater core replaced

blower motor replaced, along with thermostat, coolant res. and cap

^ all of the above related to a slipped liner caused by overheating^ 

replaced viscous center diff. assembly

replaced rear diff innards and mounts related to center diff. failure

new windshield (internal heating elements partially failed)

new wiper control module

new rear window regulator

None of which cost me a penny. Why(?) Ford stood behind their warranty...

As far as the 'soft-roader' statements go, I've driven everything from monkeybikes to 20t crawlers in mud, snow, and stone, as well as every AWD/4WD (etc.) made since the MB Jeep. The Freelander is better than any single speed transfer cased vehicle I've ever driven. If you're comparing it directly to a traditional ladder frame LR or etc., it's no tribute to your experience or intelligence other than to note the Freelander is better in on-road mud, snow and ice. 

Here's a quick quiz for the rest of you peckerheads;

How many of you have bitched about Range Rover or Disco 2 reliability but blown your loads over BMW V8 cars?

(Go ahead now, don't be shy...)

Keith Tanner
4/10/20 12:19 p.m.

Dude, we know you're frustrated because you're stuck at home or something - but this is over. It's been over for months. You're not making yourself look more reasonable or intelligent. You're unlikely to convince anyone that a vehicle that needed two new engines, a new center diff and a new rear diff when it was between 3 and 9 years old is a paragon of reliability regardless of who paid the bills.

I'll just leave this quote here. 

"I love mine, but they are definitely a royal mess/pita..." (Scottmartin49, VWVortex, 04-10-2014 03:15 PM)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/10/20 12:21 p.m.

Ohhh, he's back! 

Popping the popcorn now. I'm betting that he's actually a forum regular on a different account who is bored.

In any case, we're still at $30k in repairs to get it to reliable. Maybe it made sense when it was under warranty, but none of them are under warranty anymore. EDIT: Oh, and they had to go through 3 engines to get to a good one. That type of stuff is usually reserved for rotaries.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/10/20 12:25 p.m.

To state the obvious, it is hilarious that this is the ship he's going down with. This is a group that will think nothing of reviving the worlds most unloved vehicles, even put a 12 cylinder Jag in an MGB because a SBC was overdone... But the single vehicle nobody will touch is the Freelander. 

Also, Keith, I thought these were rebadged Ford Escapes when they were new. Obviously not, but my '04 Mazda Tribute (a rebadged escape, or vice-versa) was pretty damn excellent for $1,500 at 15 years old. Leaked some oil, so maybe it was yearning to be a Land Rover. 

I'm pretty sure it is the ONLY one no one will touch here. Are there any others?

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/10/20 1:51 p.m.

Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 is the only other one I can think of that even this forum said no.  

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
4/10/20 2:02 p.m.
scottmartin49 said:

Page and a half of idiocy, and one comment worth responding to;

The Freelander is better than any single speed transfer cased vehicle I've ever driven. If you're comparing it directly to a traditional ladder frame LR or etc., it's no tribute to your experience or intelligence other than to note the Freelander is better in on-road mud, snow and ice.

You're right, I haven't directly experienced the Freelander.  Along those lines, referring to the herpes comment I made last year, referring to the herpes comment I made four years ago: some things don't need to be experienced for yourself when there's plenty of first-hand reviews that say it's terrible.  But hey, enjoy your prize.

Man spends $2600 to win a stuffed bannana.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
4/10/20 2:10 p.m.

If I were to put $30k into a Land Rover, it would be to fix the timing chain guides and anything else wrong with a supercharged 2010-2012 L322 so I could drive it another 100k miles.

Source: owned a 105k-mile L322 5.0SC. It was epic. I want another one. I've driven a Freelander in good condition and have zero idea what you're on about. 

Keith Tanner
4/10/20 2:36 p.m.
mtn said:

Also, Keith, I thought these were rebadged Ford Escapes when they were new. Obviously not, but my '04 Mazda Tribute (a rebadged escape, or vice-versa) was pretty damn excellent for $1,500 at 15 years old. Leaked some oil, so maybe it was yearning to be a Land Rover. 

One of the difficulties in owning a first-gen Freelander in North America is that is has almost no parts in common with anything else.

The second generation - known as the LR2 in North America, which says that even LR wanted some distance from the Freelander name - is on one of the Ford global platforms so it has a lot more siblings.

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/10/20 3:38 p.m.

We really like our 2011 LR2.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/10/20 4:02 p.m.

I still haven't worked out how to make a single burrito cost 30k. We need to get the R&D department on that. 

Cactus
Cactus Reader
4/10/20 8:13 p.m.
Sonic said:

Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 is the only other one I can think of that even this forum said no.  

Those aren't that bad. I mean, weird and difficult for sure, but not any more difficult than a 300zx turbo.

I'd rock a Disco or a Ranger Rover Classic LWB. Not much interest in any of the other models. I'm not rich enough to be buying current generation luxury cars. They're damn nice to drive though.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JFRxR3Lt3UJphYJysgxb08fprQX2cJd2rijOVGubjr51qsFuohkUWUd7SeQk73yJ