myf16n
myf16n GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/19/23 11:56 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
myf16n said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Note that the Powerstroke vans are not intercooled.

I have an E350 6.0 diesel. They are factory intercooled. I know most people don't think of them as Powerstrokes.

I didn't know that they ever put the 6.0 in vans.

Man, that must suck to work on. Practically everything on a pickup is cab-off.  Now try that in a box van.

The vans have much more access to some things because you can access the front half from the hood and the back half from the doghouse.  This is especially true on a powerstroke van since there is no ignition system.  The only thing in the middle is engine block.

IN the E350 with a 6.0 you can barely reach the fuel filters on the front of the engine. There is no way to get to the turbo from the front. The turbo is barely accessible from the interior. You can see bolts and fasteners, and you touch them, but you cannot see AND touch them at the same time. I've looked into 'bullet proofing' mine, and the shops I have talked to indicate that the cost to pull the body off the frame reduces the labot cost to do it on-frame. Essentially it is a wash.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/23 2:35 p.m.

In reply to WillG80 :

I'm guessing you manual swapped it?  I've never heard of a manual in a van.  How does the gearshift line up?  I always figured you'd be reaching behind to shift it due to how far back the engine sits.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/23 2:42 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
myf16n said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Note that the Powerstroke vans are not intercooled.

I have an E350 6.0 diesel. They are factory intercooled. I know most people don't think of them as Powerstrokes.

I didn't know that they ever put the 6.0 in vans.

Man, that must suck to work on. Practically everything on a pickup is cab-off.  Now try that in a box van.

Besides the 7.3 and the 6.9 way back when, the 6.0 was the ONLY diesel they offered in Econolines domestically.  When the trucks went to the IH 6.4 in 2008 (Maxxforce 7 in IH parlance), the vans retained the 6.0.  That was probably a good thing.  While the 6.4 is quite a stud when running, it seldom runs for long and has earned the reputation as the biggest turd of a diesel ever made.  The 6.0 is simply misunderstood.  The 6.4 really was garbage.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E7OCXKKCvKQMfD8ecW8IxVe54ME3xxZZGP26lQRCLSzVAGacHqUGB7aaPLzpGe5X