Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
10/4/24 5:41 p.m.

SWMBO spent a bit of time driving a friend's 2012ish Subaru outback and decided she needs one.   A budget of $6k to $8k will probably buy something around 2012 w/150kish miles.  I wanted to buy an 05-08 Outback for my son...but he said he'd rather drive the family minivan.  I'm reasonably handy, so higher mileage doesn't scare me too much...but I'd prefer not to be swapping transmissions and head gaskets, as an example.  Her GX460 is sold so she'll be looking to buy one pretty quickly.

I understand the earlier CVTs weren't as durable, best years for reliability?

I think the head gasket issues were better from 2010 on?

If you have any advice on prioritizing age over mileage w/the outback, please share your thoughts.  For example, it might be better to buy a 2017 w/200k miles due to improved design than a 2014 w/120k miles.  

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
10/4/24 6:19 p.m.

My mom has a 2014(?) with ~105k on it.  Its been a perfectly acceptable appliance.  The CVT is fine.  Honestly better than a traditional auto in my experience*.  The adaptive cruise works pretty well, as do other active safety features.  The infotainment is an obsolete turd and is unreadable when the sun hits from certain angles.  My understanding is that gen in North America got FB 4cyl engines which are... still Subaru engines.  But at least there is hope the headgasket situation is better?

* I have no idea what that means for long term reliability.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/4/24 6:33 p.m.

I've had a 2011 6 speed MT since 2014. I bought it with 29K  and it now has 150K on it.

I replaced the clutch at 60K because the throwout bearing went. I now have 90K on that replacement it's fine. The top hose spigot on the radiator popped about 2 years ago. I replaced the radiator but failed to get all of the air out of the system and it overheated on me a couple of weeks later. I thought I might have popped the head gasket but it's been fine. I replaced the timing belt at 95K.

I do have a slight oil leak which I have ignored for about 60K. I simply clean it off when I'm doing oil changes.

Thus far that is all I have had to do.

I like the Outback a lot; they are the Swiss army knife of cars.

physician
physician Reader
10/4/24 7:33 p.m.

I have a 2010 outback 2.5 cvt. Been in the familly for 10 years, bought a 70k km and now have 220k km on it. Nothing dramatic broke. Im in quebec, so its rust proof from day 1, all maintenance done in time including trans fluid.

But.

Last year at 200k, i done in the same summer:

Brakes at 4 corners

Shock 4 corners

3 wheel bearings

2 suspension links (due to shock replacement)

Rear muffler

Battery

Driveshaft (hard to find.. but 280$ (can ) on amazon)

And the rear brake hardline explode 10km from home on the way to a 200km trip including 50km of forest road. That was a close one.. i was happy tbe broke at the right beginning..

So, that was an expensive year, but nothing in the prior 3 years and nothing else since..

Its a relax drive awesome in the snow, enough power to toe 2 motorcycles, and still do about 8/100 km in the summer, sometime 7.2 at 100km/h.

I still love it. I sleep in it when road tripping alone 

physician
physician Reader
10/4/24 7:40 p.m.

Oh i forgot, and tbe thrid brake light let water in.. i sealed and reseald it 2 times in 2 years.. i shoud probably find a better way to seal it:)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HPdx8YGxHelP3aTP57yyIL2DrpfFgsBgWrivfz4ciAdhBuKv1y9VuwqMk9wDyJK6