About to start!!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
6/13/09 7:47 a.m.

Interesting race.....Audi vs Peugeot vs Aston

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/13/09 8:13 a.m.

An Audi is off already! But looks like he will get back to racing. That was the 4th lap!

Edit: Ah man I missed it. What happened to the Peugeot?

NONACK
NONACK New Reader
6/13/09 8:53 a.m.

Tire demolished bodywork.

milkmandan
milkmandan New Reader
6/13/09 8:53 a.m.

the Pescarola Peugeot clipped it in the left rear corner as the factory Peugeot was leaving its pit, and then once it got on track the tire just self destructed and he had to go all 8 miles on pretty much 3 wheels.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/13/09 8:59 a.m.

Wow, someone will pay dearly for that mistake.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
6/13/09 9:02 a.m.

That was a mistake by the spotters, nobody told the driver/s to avoid the other car and the drivers cannot see out the side of the vehicle at all.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/13/09 10:35 a.m.

So who's rooting for Audi? I'd love a sequal to Truth in 24!!! My son is absorbing the race from his high chair!!!

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
6/13/09 10:52 a.m.

Out of all the cars entered this year (edit:about 55?), there are quite a few American drivers.

Tracy Krohn, Joe Foster, Don Kitch, Patrick Dempsey (yes, "McDreamy"), Seth Neiman, Darren Law,PatrickLong Johnny O'Connell and Chris Dyson

I'm a big fan of Belgian, Jackie Ickx so it'll be fun to watch his daughter Vanina Ickx in the USA-based Creation CA07-Judd

I also like Sébastien Bourdais so I'll follow him in the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP (assuming their early problem don't put them out)

There's four Corvettes entered. You have to just hope any of them will even finish. So far, so good. No Vipers this year. Endless Porsches and Ferraris (including "McDreamy's")..

Five various Astons entered (technically, some are Lolas)

Three Ginettas listed too. Ginettas! Who'd a thunk?!?

A Chinese team will be there (running a Porsche 997 GT3-RSR)

There's five of the Audi TDI diesel racers entered so it's probably just a question of "which one?" Still, I'd like to see Peugeot give them a run.....(edit)the Peugeots look good so far.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
6/13/09 4:26 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: . There's four Corvettes entered. You have to just hope any of them will even finish. So far, so good. No Vipers this year. Endless Porsches and Ferraris (including "McDreamy's").. .

Why is that? The Corvettes have been very reliable at LeMans with numerous wins and podium finishes.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/13/09 5:05 p.m.

I think that's what he meant. Only one of them needs to finish because all of them are dominating.

The wife has turned off the tv and shoe'd me back to my tax books. :(

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/13/09 8:51 p.m.

Pretty cool race, I guess. That Radical got messed up! Who'da thunk you'd hear "...and in third place now, the first gasoline-powered car..." in LeMans?

And that Audi R8 V10 commercial with it driving through Maranello is HILARIOUS.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
6/14/09 4:22 a.m.
Rangeball wrote: I think that's what he meant. Only one of them needs to finish because all of them are dominating.

Yes, Thanks. I could have stated that better. It's been a long day...Corvettes have always been fun for me to follow at LeMans.

Here's a source of the latest info (I'm writing this at 5:00 AM EST, USA):

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/chronos_gb.html

Don't forget to hit "Refresh" if you look at this more than once.

As I write, Peugeot is #1 and #2 with Audi #3.

Big New! The Aston-Lola is fourth, but five laps behind the Audi. Still, the Audis have been unreliable, so there's still a chance to see the Aston on the podium. And, at the present rate, it'll be the first gas-powered car to finish. Go Brits!

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/14/09 8:29 a.m.

Peugeot's took 1 and 2. Good race and it was funny to hear the commentators at the end think out loud that there was a problem with the 2 place Peugeot. In fact he was waiting for his teammates. Great race! Curious if Peugeot will be back next year.

Edit: How awesome would this be for next year.

Le Mans organizers welcome former F1 entrants.... As much as we don't want our F1 to burst, a 2010 Le Mans grid with those five entrants (Ferrari, Renault, BMW, McLaren and Toyota) plus Audi, Peugeot, and Aston Martin would be nothing short of outstanding.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
6/15/09 8:05 a.m.
Rangeball wrote: Edit: How awesome would this be for next year. Le Mans organizers welcome former F1 entrants....

Oh Yes Please!

I'll take sports cars in endurance racing over F1 any day of the week!

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
6/15/09 8:34 a.m.

it was a good race, i was trying to stay awake during the night to watch it on speed

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
6/15/09 1:36 p.m.
Rusty_Rabbit84 wrote: it was a good race, i was trying to stay awake during the night to watch it on speed

I stayed up long enough to see the sunrise in France. Very cool.

And here are the rules for 2011- much reduced engines for LMP classes - http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/reglements/ressources/2011/auto/reglement_hybride_2011_gb.pdf

LMP1 3.7l turbo diesels 3.4l N/A v8 gas 2.0l turbo gas.

LMP2- series production based 4.0l boosted diesel 420hp 4.0l gas motor from GT2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aq5vs4buhE165boh6NGWBJsRITEZxW953aSlNHM1SDCXQuPGmz2alP4UL3Ni20Qb