1 2
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/3/16 8:51 a.m.

Just spoke to Tim, who said the weather is gorgeous, the TR3 is running perfectly, and he's having a great time.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/16 7:01 a.m.

I've decided to go up for Sunday in the Park. Not sure what kind of shirt I'll be wearing but I spent nine hours in the sun yesterday, so look for a big floppy Aussie hat.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
9/4/16 3:58 p.m.

I was there for a while today (Sunday) with my 2002, which was the only yellow one there this year. Didn't even make it to No-Name or B paddock - too much to see.

mith612
mith612 Reader
9/4/16 10:34 p.m.

My GF and I visited the Park today for the Sunday Concours and Gathering of the Marques events. Arriving at 9:30 we were greeted by a line of cars awaiting entry into the park. In line with us included a green MG, an Alfa 1750 sedan and pristine Chrysler 300G. Cars attending the Gathering were directed through the back gate at West Bend and onto the track, where we cruised slowly around the track in the reverse direction until coming to our appointed section. The Miata section (apparently they are a schooling fish) was on the exit of the Left-Hander approaching the No-name Straight. Upon parking alongside the other Miatas, we set out to wander the track and take in all the sights.

Right off the bat, there was this GRM approved 2002:

The Right-hander was mostly American cars, but not before this Countach jumped out in all of it's 1980's excesses:

Then the Chrysler 300G we had been stuck in line with approaching the track:

Past the Fords, Mercedes, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rolls Royces along Big Bend, the Concourse cars were displayed along Sam Posey straight. One of my favorite features was the charging system setup on: Driven off the gearbox!

Another neat feature was dual rear window wipers on this Lancia, and then I noticed there were two more on the inside of the window as well:

Probably every registration sticker since new on this VW Fastback:

After heading back to the car, and having lunch in the shade by the armco, we started going around the track in the opposite direction, towards VWs, Saabs and more. But first, a very orange NA6 Miata:

A very clean GTI:

And a quattro:

GRM-approved Civic and Datsun:

A neat little Beat:

The organizers decided the best cars for the Uphill would be some French weirdness like this SM:

All along the back part of the track were the British cars on one side, facing off against a large pack of Porsches on the other side:

The car my GF most wanted to take home as her own:

Coming through the Downhill back onto the main straight got us back into the Concours cars. There was almost too much to take in, from a 1912 Thomas, to a Kaiser, to Trans-Am cars, to vintage motorcycles, and even a selection of cars from Wayne Carini (of Chasing Classic Cars fame). How about a twin-engine Mini with rally tires for ya?:

And can't forget a parting shot of my car before making our way back around the track to head home:

Full album here: 2016 Lime Rock Historics - Sunday

Gary
Gary Dork
9/4/16 10:40 p.m.

I was there on Saturday and Sunday. Talked with Gary Hunter on Saturday.(Requested a Dork sticker). Saw Tim racing the TR3 and got pics and video. Nice job! Saw Gary and Jere walking the track on Sunday checking out the car show. It seemed like fewer cars and spectators than last year. Maybe the possibility of the hurricane kept people away. Nice car show nevertheless. And the weather was fantastic both days. Woody, I guess you didn't see my orange"Newport RI" hat. I spent some time at the Harpoon tent at Big Bend.

Gary
Gary Dork
9/5/16 10:22 a.m.

In reply to mith612:

Nice pics! I spent some time talking with the president of the Nutmeg Miata Club (guy named Joe) at around 10:00 am. While we were talking another Miata drove in and parked at the end of the Miata line. Must have been you!

Woody
9/5/16 12:44 p.m.
Gary wrote: I was there on Saturday and Sunday. Talked with Gary Hunter on Saturday.(Requested a Dork sticker). Saw Tim racing the TR3 and got pics and video. Nice job! Saw Gary and Jere walking the track on Sunday checking out the car show. It seemed like fewer cars and spectators than last year. Maybe the possibility of the hurricane kept people away. Nice car show nevertheless. And the weather was fantastic both days. Woody, I guess you didn't see my orange"Newport RI" hat. I spent some time at the Harpoon tent at Big Bend.

I was actually looking for that orange hat all day but couldn't find you.

I was at the Harpoon tent long enough to get an IPA and a "Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich", which is exactly like a regular grilled cheese sandwich except that it costs eight bucks.

Woody
9/5/16 12:48 p.m.

I looked for Tim but was never able to find him, not even the van or the TR3. I did see Peter Brock and Wayne Carini though.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
9/6/16 6:37 p.m.

Sorry, Woody I'm coming up empty. No pictures of the midget; I saw it make what seemed like just one lap on Saturday. I did see the van, but I walked by the paddock twice and couldn't find Tim. I got to meet Wayne Carini - he's very approachable and down to earth - and saw Mike Joy in the paddock after the Trans Am cars raced. I also ran into Bob Sharp, who happened to be looking for John Morton, so I gave him directions. Pretty sure those two were competitors back in the day. I should have followed along to eavesdrop on the stories!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MSBlJoPmhOyrcGxAcV1aVfYHHUKrOgXgPzDLSfuxIpoD84YafHmSkEhnvbyf9c5s