Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/18/24 12:43 p.m.
feature_image

If the powerful Quadrifoglio version of Alfa Romeo’s Stelvio SUV is on your wish list, the time to buy one is closing quickly: The Italian carmaker confirmed that 2024 will be the last year the Stelvio Quadrifoglio is offered.

In the meantime, we can still enjoy the Stelvio Quadrifoglio we have for a week to drive and review.

Aside from …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/18/24 1:23 p.m.

It’s fast. Way fast.

And that speed comes with a price: During just regular driving–like, trying to be responsible–I’m not even seeing 17 mpg.

Fortunately we (again) live an era of $3/gallon gas. Otherwise, I might find myself walking.

The Stelvio Quadrifoglio does beat walking, however, the pace notwithstanding.

The seats are snug. Not comically bolstered like the old Nismo Juke but think more Civic Type R. Plenty of side bolster for back and legs. 

Solid steering feedback–let’s call it in the same class as an N-branded Hyundai–and all the brakes.

The ride is on the firm side. It’s not too tiring after an hour-plus behind the wheel, but the presence of those low-profile tires always lurks. And then it gets really firm when you engage the sport mode. 

Some wind noise–like, a hint more than I’d like on the highway. 

Okay, the gigantic paddle shifters: They don’t rotate with the steering wheel. (Are people really using them in an SUV?)

Good amount of knobs and buttons, but the center screen sometimes seems slow to react–like the little mouse powering it could use a nap or it’s time for a software update. Not nearly as intuitive as other options, too. Backup screen could be bigger, too. 

Does the fit and finish live up to a vehicle with an MSRP nearing the six-figure mark? Not that anything’s lacking, but those knobs and switches don’t feel that special–think more GTI than Genesis. The GTI is a fine automobile, but its touch points are priced accordingly.

The regular Stelvio starts at about $45,000. To get into a new Quadrifoglio, you’re looking at close to $90,000.

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 1:27 p.m.

And some road trips as Paris and I took this to ZCon.

Always good to take a rest from I-4. And, yes, I got the Good Spot. 

The good: Comfortable and big enough for our gear while arriving in style. 

The less good: Like 16 mpg. 

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 1:28 p.m.

Our dinner stop: White Castle!

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 1:32 p.m.

Something that came up while driving around in this: Who is the Stelvio Quadrifoglio aimed at? Does the average consumer even remember the Alfa Romeo nameplate?Do people care about past achievements? Does an SUV really need to be this fast, especially when you consider the cost and NVH? And can Alfa compete with Porsche, BMW, Audi, Benz, Lexus and the rest of a rather crowded premium SUV segment?

Discuss.

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 1:34 p.m.

One more small data point: Two showing in stock at our dealer here in Daytona Beach.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/24 1:37 p.m.

Just checked the local Alfa dealer (well, it's on the other side of the continental divide about 5 hours away). They have two. The cheap one is $97,320.

Why would I buy this instead of a Cayenne S?

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 1:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Why would I buy this instead of a Cayenne S?

Good question. Maybe to be a little different? 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/18/24 2:12 p.m.

Does it smell really good inside? Do you automatically do the hand pinch thing?

Colin Wood
9/18/24 2:17 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That would be a potential selling point for me if I had that kind of cash to spend.

Want to stand out from the Porsche Cayennes and Audi Q8s? Try a Stelvio.

Need more power? How does 500+ sound?

H2OPro
H2OPro GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/24 2:51 p.m.

16mpg is good.

I drove one in the Autobahn last spring. About 10 at 140mph.

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 3:13 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Does it smell really good inside? Do you automatically do the hand pinch thing?

Nothing special and no, not really. 

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 3:21 p.m.

Small update: I’m up to 17 mpg!

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 3:22 p.m.

Something that is cool and different: The carbon weave has a texture to it. 

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 3:23 p.m.

Turning this knob to d also gives the Alfa a nice rumble. The ride gets stiff, too–like, autocross Miata stiff.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/18/24 3:38 p.m.

$90,000??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!!!?????!!?!

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/18/24 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Yeah, that..  So unless I hit the lottery, manage a hedge fund or start robbing banks no way I'll ever afford one new, and i'm too scared of Alfa's to buy one used.  So while these things make my pants fit tight, i'll highly doubt i'll ever own one.  But damn if they don't look and sound the business..  

Colin Wood
9/19/24 9:51 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I really like that. I'll take that over piano black any day.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/24 10:30 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Very cool looking. But my first thought was: How hard is that going to be to clean. So many nooks and crannies to gather dust and sun screen... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cl2eYDzkahEnGuy38xSkCcBePZXKg7bb4op8yoqdaZqJfaIvJBXRNDpCWh6Kcq4u