Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/16/24 12:02 p.m.
feature_image

The world record for solving a Rubik's cube? 3.13 seconds.

In that same amount of time, the Mercedes-AMG GT 63 can reach 60 mph from a standstill–all while keeping the driver in a luxurious cocoon of leather and carbon fiber.

The GT 63–not to be confused with the oddly named GT 4-Door Coupe–manages to achieve that short of a sprint time …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/16/24 12:06 p.m.

Possibly one of the finest cars I have ever driven: fast, comfortable, quiet, attractive and practical enough for my needs. 

This would be my “If I won the lottery I wouldn’t tell anyone, but there would be signs” buys. 

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 12:08 p.m.

So, a little more about our time with the car.

It showed up just before Milton. The perfect hurricane car, right?

It spent several days parked away high and dry. 

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 12:09 p.m.

And after the storm? Hey, it’s still there.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
10/16/24 12:10 p.m.

I haven not driven this car but I helped David get it into hurricane storage and it is really good looking. 

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 12:12 p.m.

For something rather exotic, it does work well as a daily–or at least for us.

The one caveat: It’s a little on the wide side. Long nose, too. It’s still smaller than an F150, but it’s bigger than a Miata. Just watch those flares and front spoiler. It has a front camera, and I admit that I use it for parking. I’d rather not remove the front spoiler. 

Overall, the GT 63 coupe feels bigger than, say, a newer 911. Big doors, too. I’m willing to make that sacrifice. 

Works well for grocery shopping. Easily swallowed our usual haul.

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 12:14 p.m.

Driving it:

Extremely comfortable, supportive seats. Plenty of side bolstering that still doesn’t get in the way. Easy to get in and out of. 

Colin Wood
10/16/24 12:18 p.m.

I don't know how to describe it, but it just looks so smooth.

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 12:19 p.m.

Like past AMG coupes, plenty of seamless power with little to no lag. 

I find the available sport modes largely unnecessary. You can manually shift via the paddles but, honestly, I’m usually just putting it in D and driving it. Even in the “base” setting, it offers plenty of steam along with crisp, well-timed shifts.

Does that remove some of the interaction or experience? Honestly, I find it the perfect mix: comfort and luxury along with all the performance. 

Colin Wood
10/16/24 12:24 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

From a more grand touring context, I feel like that makes sense, especially if the transmission is well-programmed.

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I have only used the paddles just so I could say that I tried them. Otherwise, I’m happily letting the computer handle the shifts.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/24 12:28 p.m.

I really like it in almost every way except the butt.

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 12:30 p.m.

It does have a butt, but so does a 911 Turbo, I figure. Honestly, it reminds me a bit of my E46 M3. 

More photos to come–just need to download them as I got home late last night. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/16/24 12:38 p.m.

I remember seeing a test mule getting gas at the station next to the Nurburgring in probably 2012-2013. Undisguised but all loaded up with test gear and beat to hell with no matching panels and covered with scratches and just looking absolutely trucked from probably tens of thousands of miles of 'Ring testing. Still one of the best looking cars I'd ever seen. Perfectly proportioned. Somehow it blended unremarkable lines into a truly remarkable whole.

Colin Wood
10/16/24 1:40 p.m.

Did you see who built the engine? Wanna make sure they get a shoutout. wink

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 3:16 p.m.

I have been looking at the S63 Coup as a replacement for my CLS550.  I think it is the perfect balance between the S550 coup and the S65 coup.    The one and only one option I want is the ability for the driver to move/control the passenger's seat.  It's a long story.  LOL  

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 4:15 p.m.

So, last night with the Mercedes-AMG GT 63 Coupe: Ormond to Orlando back back, so a little more than an hour each way. Destination was Universal Studios, so all the way to the other side of Orlando.

Doors for the show opened at 6:00 with the first band on at 6:50. Universal does free parking after 6:00, so I figured I’d eat before arriving.

I planning on a local Mexican place, but it looked a little sketch. Across the street, I saw something familiar and comforting.

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 4:16 p.m.

Cheese omelette with grits and a biscuit.

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 4:17 p.m.

And soon after, parked at Universal.

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 4:23 p.m.

The drive over showed why this car excels: quiet, comfortable, relaxing. Part of I-4 features fresh, grooved pavement. I’ve had a few cars tramline through here, including the Subaru Outback that we recently sampled.

Despite the wide tires, the Mercedes-AMG GT 63 Coupe didn’t. It tracked dead straight. Again, back to that whole comfortable and relaxing thing.

There is a bit of a blind spot over the shoulders, but blame the coupe’s bodywork for that. The mirrors did a good job of letting me know who/what was back there. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/16/24 5:09 p.m.

Asking the wrong crowd here but at 170-190K with options would you get this or the new Vantage which is in rich people terms about the same money. 

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 5:10 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

This. 

I admit I haven’t driven the Vantage, but this is pretty perfect. 

David S. Wallens
10/16/24 5:13 p.m.

The reason for going to Universal? Kreator and Testament

But before heading home, a parking garage photo session. I haven’t really had a minute to look at them, so just sharing the first ones that I grabbed. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 5:18 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Asking the wrong crowd here but at 170-190K with options would you get this or the new Vantage which is in rich people terms about the same money. 

Vantage for sure.  Just that bit more exclusive and since both will have warranties that takes that whole thing out of the discussion. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DfXpJQKWjYf0AflDzMa8iuk1Bg3J2RyE3W8Ad3igG2xAMsmrJHT1pQ1x4xSHSL8U