1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/25/24 4:13 p.m.
feature_image

This week we’re sampling the new Range Rover, which is an upscale SUV that… wait, hang on… I’m being told this is the new Hyundai Santa Fe.

Okay, yeah, no problem, it still rules.

Hyundai’s 2024 refresh of their largest SUV is a pretty serious makeover, squaring the exterior and adding some cool details in contrasting sheens and textures, and …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/25/24 4:15 p.m.

The redesign was definitely a pleasant surprise for me when it was first shown.

I didn't love the previous Santa Fe's styling, so I see this as an absolute win.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/25/24 4:20 p.m.

Let's see some interior photos, is it really a Range Rover competitor?

BoulderG
BoulderG GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/25/24 4:25 p.m.

Range Rover competitor? I hope it won't depreciate that fast or require as much maintenance.

Recently rented a 2023 Santa Fe SEL on vacation. This seems massively larger (but probably isn't).

One major disappointment we had with the 2023 Santa Fe SEL was terrible headlights. Awful. Major variations of light and dark, irregular lighting all across the beam path. Enough to disqualify the car from purchase if it had that headlight setup.

Curious to know if they've addressed this? How are the headlights?

JG Pasterjak
3/25/24 4:37 p.m.
BoulderG said:

Range Rover competitor? I hope it won't depreciate that fast or require as much maintenance.

Recently rented a 2023 Santa Fe SEL on vacation. This seems massively larger (but probably isn't).

One major disappointment we had with the 2023 Santa Fe SEL was terrible headlights. Awful. Major variations of light and dark, irregular lighting all across the beam path. Enough to disqualify the car from purchase if it had that headlight setup.

They suffer a bit from the same problem as all modern LEDs, which is way too hard of a falloff line between the illuminated area and the dark area. But overall they're as good as anything I've driven recently. My 5'2" wife is my yardstick for forward visibility, and she's kind of a stickler for good forward sightlines, and she likes the Santa Fe a lot. 

rear 3/4 is also pretty awesome, but directly back through the inside mirror isn't perfect. The painted part of the tailgate is tall enough someone could sneak right in behind you in a low car, but the side mirrors cover the territory nicely, and so does the RADAR or SONAR or lasers or whatever it has that lets you know someone is creeping on you.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
3/25/24 6:03 p.m.

Was following one the other day, and was amazed to see "Santa Fe" across the tailgate.  I thought for sure it was a Rover of some sort, the design of the tail end is that similar.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/24 7:48 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Can you start the engine with a USB cord?

JG Pasterjak
3/25/24 10:51 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

36-pin parallel SCSI

JG Pasterjak
3/26/24 10:04 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Let's see some interior photos, is it really a Range Rover competitor?

It's classy

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/26/24 10:10 a.m.

Ooooh fancy!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/26/24 10:12 a.m.

Calligraphy? 

If they can't come up with a decent name, just make up a word instead. It's worked for Toyota for the last 50 years.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/26/24 10:12 a.m.

I really, really hate the rear end on these, the first time I saw it I was almost bewildered. It's a shame as I really like the rest of the exterior

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
3/26/24 10:29 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Just approach the vehicle from every direction except the rear. 

JG Pasterjak
3/26/24 11:06 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Calligraphy? 

If they can't come up with a decent name, just make up a word instead. It's worked for Toyota for the last 50 years.

Yeah this has been the premier trim level of many Hyundai models for a while. It's a classy name, but I'm not really seeing the theme other than it's a cool, high-end sounding word. Nothing is written on overly fancy script, and I don't even think the word appears prominently in the interior decor.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/26/24 11:23 a.m.

That looks like an awfully nice place to spend time.

Fun fact: The logo on the steering wheel is just Morse code for the letter H.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/26/24 11:31 a.m.

The Hyundai Palisade seems to be styled off the Volvo XC90.

I think the first time we heard Calligraphy was the Palisade.  

The top version of the Volvo XC90 is The Inscription.

It seems that in Korean they think Calligraphy is synonym-like to Inscription 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/26/24 11:32 a.m.

The new Cadillac Escalade "Old English" edition..

Scott M
Scott M New Reader
3/26/24 11:44 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

36-pin parallel SCSI

The port is right next to the ISA slots.

That is a surprisingly good looking SUV.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/26/24 11:50 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Looks like Roberto before a substance abuse problem. 

JG Pasterjak
3/28/24 3:15 p.m.

This vehicle has generated more spontaneous conversations than anything I've driven for months. People are really drawn to it.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/28/24 3:18 p.m.

It's hard to picture this as a clapped out hooptie in 20 years, but I know it will happen

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/28/24 3:34 p.m.

It's like a Ford Flex someone built with Mega Bloks.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/28/24 3:37 p.m.

We scurried to by a 23 because my wife thinks the 24 is butt ugly.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/28/24 7:35 p.m.

(Sadly) I only spent a few minutes in it but, IRL, totally love the looks, especially in this color. Switches have a solid click. You get used to the shifter in about a minute. Comfy seats, steering feels solid.

TL;DR: Could easily drive this across the country. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/24 11:12 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
BoulderG said:

They suffer a bit from the same problem as all modern LEDs, which is way too hard of a falloff line between the illuminated area and the dark area. But overall they're as good as anything I've driven recently. My 5'2" wife is my yardstick for forward visibility, and she's kind of a stickler for good forward sightlines, and she likes the Santa Fe a lot. 

rear 3/4 is also pretty awesome, but directly back through the inside mirror isn't perfect. The painted part of the tailgate is tall enough someone could sneak right in behind you in a low car, but the side mirrors cover the territory nicely, and so does the RADAR or SONAR or lasers or whatever it has that lets you know someone is creeping on you.

its funny, my parents just got an Ioniq5 and they love everything about it EXCEPT the hard cut-off of the headlights....my dad complained mightily about the total darkness during sharp cornering in unlit areas. My GTI has automatic cornering lights, sounds like Hyundai may need to add something like that if the LEDs don't have the coverage. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
61MDENkOXYHVzBfW98RAZN2fz1Sn5BlEvcL3QgVDx1Zw8fw4uO0GtzHZ9l3HM6zi