1 2 3
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/6/23 4:05 p.m.
feature_image

Well, it’s finally here. The eleventh-generation, FL5-chassis Honda Civic Type R has arrived in our media loan inbox for a thorough evaluation–and not a moment too soon.

The tenth-generation Type R held the title of the fastest front-wheel-drive car during our testing at the Florida International Rally and Motorsports Park for the better part of a year until it was …

Read the rest of the story

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/23 5:41 p.m.

I'm sure y'all would cover this without asking, but how does it compare to the Integra y'all had last week?

JG Pasterjak
12/6/23 5:44 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm sure y'all would cover this without asking, but how does it compare to the Integra y'all had last week?

More similar than I expected, actually. The seats feel like the biggest difference (Honda's are "sportier"), and weirdly it feels like the Civic pedals are shifted to the right compared to the Acura. But I'm guessing that's a side effect of the stiffer and more bolstered seats.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/23 5:54 p.m.

Why does your bird want to fight me?

JG Pasterjak
12/6/23 6:59 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

Why does your bird want to fight me?

Don't start no trouble there ain't gonna be no trouble.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/23 9:32 p.m.

I'm diggin the snub nose appearance. I still find the rear spoiler rather goofy. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/6/23 10:53 p.m.

It must be tough to have this job but somebody's got to do it.

Kudos, my man.

You guys still looking for that outside sales guy?  LOL 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/6/23 11:32 p.m.

The Honda CTR has a starting MSRP of around $45k and the Cadillac CT4V starts around $50k. Given that there is only roughly a 10% price delta between the two, how would you compare those two vehicles? They're both four-door performance-oriented versions of very competent sedans. 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/7/23 8:29 a.m.

Can you compare differences between this production and Thunderhill 25 CTR?

Can you notate coolant temps when lapping at the FIRM to see if the FL5 heat management is any better than the FK8's?

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
12/7/23 9:17 a.m.

To bad it's not August so you could show how the gear shift branded its pattern into your right palm.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/7/23 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

As a Civic Si owner, I can say that is a slight issue with these cars. 

scrapin240
scrapin240 New Reader
12/7/23 10:20 a.m.

In reply to BLRB :

I didn't have any temp issues doing 15 minute sessions at Time Attack pace with a Tuned FL5 in 90F ambients temps.  Also, no temps issues in 60F with a stock DE5 

Amaptn2
Amaptn2 None
12/7/23 1:33 p.m.

Can you do a Pro Solo launch, or does the car limit you to 3500 rpm like the FK8?

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
12/7/23 2:45 p.m.

Just picked up the Type R from JG, I'm impressed with the cargo capacity. plenty of room for my camera gear and I'm excited to drive it around and see how it feels compared to the Type S. 

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
12/7/23 2:50 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

I'm diggin the snub nose appearance. I still find the rear spoiler rather goofy. 

I hate the grill and headlights but overall it's a lot better than the previous generation Type R.  

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
12/7/23 2:50 p.m.

I only have one question: When do I get the keys?  

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/7/23 2:55 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

To bad it's not August so you could show how the gear shift branded its pattern into your right palm.

This always confuses me a little. For the past 7 or 8 years I've had sports cars with stainless steel shift knobs (mostly that I've made myself from SS304 billet). I live in Phoenix, which is well-known for its intense light and heat. 

Even here I don't really have a problem with hot shift knobs. Putting a shade in the windscreen seems to keep the interior metal bits at least touchable. I've certainly never burned myself on any of my shift knobs. Is this a big concern elsewhere? 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/7/23 11:10 p.m.

How much of a compromise is it to live with for DD?  Is it buzzy at freeway speeds?  Does it beat you on washboard roads?

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
12/7/23 11:25 p.m.

How does the backseat and rear hatch space compare to the GR Corolla you guys just had? 

JG Pasterjak
12/8/23 9:21 a.m.
CrashDummy said:

How does the backseat and rear hatch space compare to the GR Corolla you guys just had? 

Civic wins on space and comfort for both. The GRC has a nice, square, tall hatch area, but it's a slightly smaller car overall and the dimensions reflect that. 

ChrisTropea
12/8/23 9:29 a.m.

In reply to jwagner (Forum Supporter) :

With the limited amount of highway driving I have, done you do hear engine noise at highway speeds but nothing unbearable. I will report back after driving to and from the FIRM on Saturday which will give me a lot of seat time at highway speeds. 

As for washboard roads I cant report on that. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/8/23 10:42 a.m.
brandonsmash said:
Coniglio Rampante said:

This always confuses me a little. For the past 7 or 8 years I've had sports cars with stainless steel shift knobs (mostly that I've made myself from SS304 billet). I live in Phoenix, which is well-known for its intense light and heat. 

Even here I don't really have a problem with hot shift knobs. Putting a shade in the windscreen seems to keep the interior metal bits at least touchable. I've certainly never burned myself on any of my shift knobs. Is this a big concern elsewhere? 

I was thinking the same.  The top of my ND Miata shift knob is metal and I've never burned my hand in the Georgia heat, even with the top down.  I guess I do put my hat there sometimes.

It would be pull to pull a Major Todt with a gearshift logo on your palm though...

scrapin240
scrapin240 New Reader
12/8/23 10:55 a.m.

I can attest that the FL5 shift knob gets super hot. The DE5 has a metal top, but leather surround and is totally fine. The DE5 shift knob is actually a better overall shape to me as well.

In terms of suspension differences, only the rear springs are different between the FL5 and DE5. And with the FL5 you get to disable traction control without doing the "pedal dance" in +R mode, but most fast lap times happen in comfort mode for the FL5 as +R is way too stiff in most circumstances

gbuff
gbuff GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/8/23 4:07 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Me too, wish/hope they would have a spoiler delete option.

ChrisTropea
12/8/23 8:57 p.m.

So after driving the Civic around a good bit today I have to say it's a really great car. I am excited to take it on a long drive tomorrow to see how it feels on a short road trip. So far comfort mode is where I have been keeping it most of the time. Sport mode makes it feel more sporty and definitely stiffens up the suspension a noticeable amount, too much for it to be comfortable around town driving on bumpy roads. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qAwiesS9d601hplr5lF3TrYDrqdz5KK2HBcCV5B9Qxwcfoxciz149E3aoLxJmk3W