SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/24/16 9:44 p.m.

I've got an '05 MPV that has been a great car, but we are about done milking the transmission along. Leaking from everywhere it can leak, and slipping at all times.

So, I need a good rebuilder, or source for a remanufactured unit.

The local trans shops aren't too good with foreign cars or FWD.

I am looking for a referral in GA/ North FL, or a company that can ship to me.

I've never rebuilt an auto trans, and don't feel ready to tackle this. I am not even that keen on R&R, but I might have to. It's a daily driver, not a Challenge car, so I can budget a bit.

Any referrals? Any idea what a rebuild or reman unit should cost? Anyone within shooting distance in the business?

Thanks.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/28/16 12:31 p.m.

Wow! You guys have let me down!

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
3/28/16 2:43 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Those transmissions have a common problem with an easy fix. A part cracks allowing reverse to partially engage at the same time as 3-5th. This wears out the friction rings quickly. The good news is that all the parts that need to be replaced can be removed from the end of the case without removing the transmission, and the parts are around $300. It's an day job in the driveway if you work very slowly and carefully. I'll try to dig up a "how to" online that describes everything.

Edit: MVP Transmission Fix

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/28/16 3:13 p.m.

Sorry, TunaDad does transmission, but he's in NY. He has a buddy who does converters that might have a lead, but that's in Myrtle Beach. I don't know much beyond that.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/28/16 4:54 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Oh, that's too bad. I was in Myrtle Beach for the last 4 days.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/28/16 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy:

Thanks! That's helpful.

Looks reasonable, but still feels a bit out of my league...

Denton
Denton New Reader
3/28/16 8:47 p.m.

You close to Marietta? There's a trans shop where we had our Sienna trans rebuilt that has a great rep in the community. I can get the name if you want...it's a few doors down from Butler Tire.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/28/16 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Denton:

No,I am not close, but I can get it there. I'd appreciate the contact info.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RRiCSjXY6BF7FfIU8WBWeDLP56qBwaGhXimZiPYd387PT1GRWAAu7MS0n0XVs3CG