Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/9/19 8:24 a.m.
feature_image

Mazda, showing their commitment to making Spec MX-5 the best it can be, just released a buyer's guide of sorts of what you should look out for when searching for your NC Miata to use in competition. 

Find the comprehensive checklist below, and give us your thoughts in the comments.

PARTS SPOTLIGHT: FINDING AN NC MAZDA MX-5 DONOR CAR FOR SPEC MX-5 …

Read the rest of the story

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/19 8:55 a.m.

There go my hopes of finding an inexpensive NC Miata.

spandak
spandak Reader
9/9/19 9:10 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

There go my hopes of finding an inexpensive NC Miata.

Same. Hopefully everyone buys up the later ones I can’t afford.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/19 9:13 a.m.

You know this will only affect a hundred or so cars. That's a pretty small percentage of NC production. Spec Miata sure didn't make a dent in the availability of crappy NAs and NBs.

Really, the best source for a Spec NC is a retired MX-5 Cup car.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/9/19 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Good point! But did Spec E30 drive up E30 prices, or were they always destined to anyway? Chicken or the egg?

aw614
aw614 Reader
9/9/19 9:41 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

Good point! But did Spec E30 drive up E30 prices, or were they always destined to anyway? Chicken or the egg?

I think it is a larger trend of older popular BMWs being driven up in cost regardless of spec e30. 

For all the hate the NC miata seems to get, I am weirdly attracted to them and wanting to buy one. I like them in terms of looks over the NB, and they are fairly modern. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/19 10:33 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

In this area, there seemed to be quite a few Spec E30 and Spec Miata racers. It might have something to do with VIR, Atlanta,  Charlotte and other tracks in close proximity. It wasn't impossible to get a good deal, but competition for the real bargains and rust-free cars with engine problems has always been fierce. 

The NC has long been the unloved platform. Heck, it wasn't even called a Miata by Mazda. I may be blaming racers more than I should, but having a spec series for the NC isn't going to help demand.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sGu7ba8KtfIAfroDYOMnm5x1QRkMAfCMhKmwUXzGLRPFOPjUdoopPL4XGYhuF7UE