1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/6/17 6:10 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
dropstep wrote: Roadkill is apparently doing one lap this year, im guessing you wont break down as often as them!
I'm dying to see what they bring.

Gen 1 Firebird Trans Am, white.

I gathered that from a video on OLOAs Facebook page where they walked through the parking lot. The FB page also says that will have some live coverage starting Sat morning at 8 am.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/17 7:37 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: My co-driver did a 900 mile day yesterday...That's 200 miles longer than our longest transit will be.

Wow, I should have found someone needing a transit driver...I do that many miles each way every 4-6 weeks.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/17 7:51 a.m.

man, I'd never heard of this thing 2 months ago and now I'm plotting how I can do it.

Hotspur
Hotspur
5/6/17 8:55 a.m.
John Welsh wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
dropstep wrote: Roadkill is apparently doing one lap this year, im guessing you wont break down as often as them!
I'm dying to see what they bring.
Gen 1 Firebird Trans Am, white. I gathered that from a video on OLOAs Facebook page where they walked through the parking lot. The FB page also says that will have some live coverage starting Sat morning at 8 am.

David Freiburger and Elana Scherr are in a factory Dodge something. Tony Angelo and Mike Finnegan are in a '69 Firebird that Finn bought last week and they slammed together in 3 days or something. At least the timeline is normal roadkill, because the pics of the Firebird look way too nice for their usual stuff!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/6/17 8:59 a.m.

We have begun! Wet skid pad is done (not me in the picture obviously) and we're on our way to the autocross. I'm driving both events today so that I can get used to the car on pavement before we start driving big tracks. I've never driven it in anger on anything but dirt and I'm hoping to avoid that this week. The car has a big rear bar and is quite tail happy around the wet skid pad. Something to keep in mind for wet track sessions.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/6/17 2:52 p.m.

That's a liiiittle wider than the 911's you usually see with a roof box.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/6/17 2:58 p.m.
grover wrote: man, I'd never heard of this thing 2 months ago and now I'm plotting how I can do it.

You really should. At least once. It's such a great event. Wonderful people, racetracks, cars, everything good in life.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/6/17 3:08 p.m.

Results of Wet Skidpad

2017 Focus RS winner of skid pad.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/17 3:14 p.m.

Three Chevy HHR in the field. Is this some kind of dark horse performance car?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/6/17 3:19 p.m.

HHR SS = 260 hp (stock) turbo ecotech combined with room for gear and a third driver reducing overall fatigue.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/6/17 4:07 p.m.

Autox results

Evo IX ftd.
Andy Hollis #2

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/6/17 4:16 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

iirc 500hp is possible on the stock turbo block for the hhr.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/6/17 8:12 p.m.

The HHRs are run by the Dublers. They own a Swiss chocolate factory. The story (as I've heard it) is that the cars sit in a warehouse all year, they shut down the chocolate factory for two weeks, come over for One Lap, and give us all a box of chocolates. The box of chocolates part is true. They're delicious.
Still getting a handle on the Civic. We had three autocross runs and decided to each do one, and whoever was faster got the third. Not the best way to get a good time, but we had fun. I made fewer gross mistakes so I got run number 3, which was cool. I didn't exactly finish well, 54th, which matched my skidpad finish from the morning.
The car is interesting. It has nice power, a light flywheel means the revs build instantly. The suspension is stock 110k mile Honda with about 40 rallycrosses on it. And not 40 runs, 40 events, so in excess of 500 rallycross runs. There are some interesting pitch and roll characteristics. Nothing bad, nothing dangerous, but I do need to adapt. Having a blast. Identifying our competition at the back and trying to stay off the absolute bottom of the time sheets. Tomorrow is a Mempis which will be two road course sessions and a drag race which will be fun. If we don't have the lowest power of the whole field, it's not for lack of trying.
Huge shout out to the SCCA guys who ran the autocross today. They set up a spectacular course for us and got us all through and on our way very quickly. Someone needs to buy them a round.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/17 9:36 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I got approved for time off to come to cmp. Ill be the guy in the 64 el camino trying to find tbe legendary and awe inspiring mazdeuce.

I hope to be there as well. If I make it I'll be sure to wear a GRM t-shirt and I'll probably be in a red FR-S but I might take the "eventually mighty" E36 non-M3.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/6/17 10:38 p.m.

This is the only night we're not at the official One Lap hotel. I picked one nearby that looked reasonable and had free breakfast. When my wife picks hotels they have things like lemon Shea butter body wash. When I pick hotels they have soap.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/17 11:26 p.m.

Heh, we're across the street with The Dude

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/7/17 4:50 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

You know, this isn't our first time doing for OLoA. ;) I think the final numbers were right around 200 runs in a little over 2 and a half hours without a single rerun. Pretty amazing. We got a good crew here in Indy.

I caught Brian in paddock yesterday morning. that was about the extent of my interactions yesterday.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
5/7/17 7:02 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: This is the only night we're not at the official One Lap hotel. I picked one nearby that looked reasonable and had free breakfast. When my wife picks hotels they have things like lemon Shea butter body wash. When I pick hotels they have soap.

You know what Mike Birbiglia says, "until you get the ejaculate out of the curtains you should just call it soap".

This trip looks so awesome

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/7/17 8:21 a.m.

I'm not saying anything necessarily, but we show up in a Honda and check air pressures. The Toyota team shows up and both cars spend an hour in the air.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
5/7/17 8:47 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

That's a really nice Avalon.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/7/17 9:41 a.m.

We're in Memphis! The morning session has started and my co-driver is about to get in line. Beautiful day.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/7/17 2:04 p.m.

Road course sessions are done in Memphis. Turns out I'm about as slow as you'd expect for someone who hasn't been on track in a year, but God damn is it fun. The Civic is just alive and wants to be driven as hard as you can drive it. I'm looking forward to figuring things out even more.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/7/17 3:06 p.m.

Nothing like taking the Civic drag racing against cars that are in danger of being kicked off the track for going sub 11.5. We got something like a 16.8 with a ton of wheel hop in the low ET portion of the event and decided to just throw a 17.0 on the car figuring reaction time would fill in the rest. Instead my co-driver figured it out and went 15.3. Oops. Off to Atlanta.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/7/17 4:04 p.m.

4:00 pm out of Memphis. Isn't Road Atlanta like 7 hours away?

In about Midnight?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/7/17 4:08 p.m.

Six hours to the hotel. Leaving at 4:00 eastern we should be there by 10:30. Two stops, eating in the car. We're efficient. We're trying to get sleep while we can. A couple of tough nights coming up.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zhES7ltxSE13xO0maKESs1SS2R2wpdrKONdhB0AznIUhObTsOskFy1h1qQmJHZFy