1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
5/25/17 7:16 a.m.

Crap...I was gonna post a Jeep FC without even reading the thread, but decided to read the 4 pages just for curiosity.

I now see you have similar taste.

You've got my attention.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/25/17 7:59 a.m.

To piggyback on John's vintage rally raid truck idea, the Mexican 1000 has a class that this thing might be perfect for:

MX1000 Rules said: 13.18 RV (Recreational Vehicles) This is an open category for any vehicle designed to have overnight sleeping quarters. 4x4 is allowed. Typical vehicles in this class would include VW Westfalia and van conversions such as Sportsmobiles, Quigleys, and others. The bed should be built into the interior as a permanent installation such as a folding dinette or sofa sleeper or bed in the pop-up, etc. An air mattress in an empty cargo van would not qualify for example. Entries in this class are subject to approval by NORRA. Safety items such as seats and harnesses subject to NORRA approval as well.
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 8:05 a.m.

Sounds to me like it's time to build a epic Challenge car. Start with something obscure, turn it into something awesome.

Maybe a AMC pacer with a German V8 or 12.

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
5/25/17 8:42 a.m.

Is it a 4x4? If so I see the beginnings of an overland expedition rig. Explore the Americas (North, Central and South)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/25/17 8:56 a.m.

It's not 4x4......yet.......

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/25/17 9:12 a.m.

Ohh yes I approve!!

Here is our comapny dump truck

hhaase
hhaase Reader
5/25/17 12:20 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to Hungary Bill: We clearly need to talk about that. I've long said the beauty of the engine makes it worth it. As far as the COE making it back to my place, that's going to be surprisingly easy, as this whole thing is developing a cool backstory.

I hadn't read this thread in a few days. Knowing what I know, that isn't in this thread, am I able to predict the potential combo that I think is coming about here?

This has the potential to be an incredibly awesome total package if I'm envisioning it right.

-Hans

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/25/17 12:26 p.m.

I was going to suggest an DIY RV build. That COE looks like the perfect starting point. Adding 4WD just makes it even better.

Can't wait for the build thread.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
5/25/17 12:35 p.m.

The big daddy of this and one of those awesome UNIMOGs?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/25/17 1:57 p.m.

Ramp truck, camper, Dakar style race truck, tooling around and running to HD truck. There are a lot of options, some of which, once implemented, remove other options. I need to see it. Sit in the seat and grab the wheel. Measure. Drink coffee. Clean some things. Fix some things. Drink more coffee. Write about it. Dream about it. Take a nap in it. Drive it around the block. With coffee.
Maybe by then I'll have a clearer vision.
This is a medium duty truck from the mid 60's. It is a special kind of blank slate.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/25/17 2:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: This is a medium duty truck from the mid 60's. It is a special kind of blank slate.

So are these!

I'll stop now.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/25/17 2:09 p.m.

Show me more? I've never seen roll protection done like that. I like it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/25/17 2:10 p.m.

Well, you asked for it:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ntHPPjOovVQ

They do the hoop that way so that when you go over, you can go all the way and get it back on the wheels.

Another, for good measure:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/zdaGbl-Br6M

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/25/17 2:17 p.m.

That might ruin my life.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
5/25/17 2:24 p.m.

Look at some unimogs for inspiration.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/25/17 2:25 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Interestingly, the rally sanctioning bodies in the US don't appear to set a maximum weight or dimensions for competition vehicles- you could give them a reason to!

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/25/17 2:32 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

That was awesome. I need this in my life....

Hal
Hal UltraDork
5/25/17 3:35 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: By dinner time I was making a deal on this:

Perfect!!

I envision a Dakar Support Truck/Expedition Portal Overlander build.

Engine refresh or swap to something a bit more robust.
4WD Conversion
Build or Repurpose (the GRM way) a body

Load up the Mrs. and all the Deucelings for one of your trips. Only now you can use all those side roads you didn't the last time.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 4:44 p.m.

Looks like it was a firetruck at some point?

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 8:10 p.m.

This fits in with lots of bad ideas I've had lately. I would go with a 4X4 camper/rally truck. A 5 ton military axle at each end fitted with real air brakes instead of the air/hydraulic setup they come with, a hotrodded Cummins, Allison auto and transfer case in between, and a camper body mounted to the back sitting. If I were really ambitious I'd look at hanging the axles from four links and coils instead of leaf springs. It would sit on some nice big Michelin off road tires.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 8:17 p.m.

Ever since I saw this I've wanted one. The racks on the back are lifts holding a couple dirt bikes and a spare tire.

klb67
klb67 Reader
5/25/17 8:56 p.m.

You've got the lay down space. You could easily have a lift off camper box, and lift off ramp bed too. You know Expedition portal I assume?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/25/17 9:20 p.m.

Expedition Portal is a semi regular haunt. I was an Overland Journal subscriber for a while too. And I read Pirate 4x4. And I've followed Dakar religiously since Fabrizio Meoni was atop the podium. You can't follow Dakar without falling in love with the trash trucks.
So yes, all of this crossed my mind the second I saw the first picture. And please, keep it coming.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 9:24 p.m.

On a semi related note, (and in case the International isn't a done deal at this point) I think I'll be in the vicinity of at least one available Pinzgauer this weekend.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/25/17 9:52 p.m.

Need a concurrent or a back burner project? Lincoln flathead v12

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T63SW3bV7NuUTvfEAaxBsY0W7HjPFf1KGmMsxPNHg61TtUKgZcyzHVh8A9THyO5g