NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/22/16 9:13 p.m.

Plan on replacing the upper ball-joints on the Molvo with the Moog replacement item.

The one video on youtube makes it seem easy enough to press in and out. Any tricks or pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Papabear
Papabear New Reader
6/23/16 8:19 a.m.

Not really it was very straight forward when I did it. Press the old out press the new in.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
6/23/16 10:01 a.m.

Pretty easy. The big snap ring on the Moog is a pain but no more than any other big snap ring.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/16 10:18 a.m.

I would recommend a spot weld to help hold it in. I've seen some aftermarket replacement ball joints pop out of the upper control arm. I can't recall if they were Moog or V8R.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/23/16 11:33 a.m.

Thanks all. Joints are in off to do the deed.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/23/16 5:46 p.m.

Done. Boots were a bitch.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
6/23/16 5:59 p.m.

Ah yes. Forgot about that. I punted and put on poly boots after wrecking the first one.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/23/16 6:16 p.m.

I prefer more than a spot weld now after having one pop out at a rallycross.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/16 7:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I would recommend a spot weld to help hold it in. I've seen some aftermarket replacement ball joints pop out of the upper control arm. I can't recall if they were Moog or V8R.

I would recommend 2 or 3 1/2" long beads of weld. I broke a V8R ball joint out of a control arm when it was merely spot-welded in.

Knurled
6/23/16 7:05 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I prefer more than a spot weld now after having one pop out at a rallycross.

cough

In my defense, I can't drive for poo. And I was the first car on course, and I said that someone was going to hit the rut in that corner.

Linky because you can't embed to a start point

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
7/5/16 2:33 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Even with the snap ring on? Did the snap ring break, or pop off?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/5/16 2:37 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor:

The whole ball joint came out of the arm as an assembly, the snap ring is just for the top cap that threads on (at least on the V8roadsters ones I have).

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
7/5/16 2:52 p.m.

Ah, I see. The Moog ones have a snap ring that helps hold it in, I was getting a little worried that that wasn't sufficient.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/5/16 3:03 p.m.

I also recommend a weld. This was a V8R ball joint.

photo 45E20404-3789-42C0-9375-044F5196F0A6_zpsuaadrtq8.jpg

Knurled
7/5/16 7:27 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: Ah, I see. The Moog ones have a snap ring that helps hold it in, I was getting a little worried that that wasn't sufficient.

Sounds like the ball joints for the SA/FB RX-7 and early 626/MX-6.

Those need welded in as well.

The problem is the control arm is not meant to be serviceable. When you press the new ball joint in, the hole will expand a bit, and it will not hold the ball joint properly. Back when they were common, I had a maybe 1 in 3 chance on the 626/MX-6 that the ball joint wouldn't just rattle around loose to begin with. I installed the last R/F control arm in Mazda inventory in 2001 in my service writer's MX-6 after a ball joint replacement rattled around. At least, that is what the dealer told us when we ordered it.

If you drive with the ball joint rattling, bad things happen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WbfVP1XOG9jZqouvaE50Ut9LyFNMcXh24LQkKIZWUjh9n9BQFoZM4D2ZP5YfjFgk