JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
7/20/08 6:43 p.m.

Driving home today, I had to pass an accident where a 1.6l Miata had spun off the road, over a drainage ditch, and up an embankment. It didn't appear that anyone was hurt (luckily the car didn't roll). After a few seconds of careful thought, it occurred to me that my aging 1990 Miata could use a few spares, and would it be so wrong to pull over and offer to buy the car on the spot? I'm pretty sure the body was bent beyond repair.

Utitimately I decided to pass by. There's a freshly killed smurf blue Miata heading for some junkyard in the NoVa area.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/08 8:03 p.m.

hmm.. that could be pretty tasteless...

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
7/20/08 8:27 p.m.

Never hurts to ask.

GregTivo
GregTivo New Reader
7/20/08 8:57 p.m.

it never hurts to stop and offer assistance to a miata in distress....and if you happen to keep in contact with the owner and get spares when he junks the car....

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/20/08 9:12 p.m.

It would not be wrong at all. I would not hesitate.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/20/08 9:28 p.m.
GregTivo wrote: it never hurts to stop and offer assistance to a miata in distress....and if you happen to keep in contact with the owner and get spares when he junks the car....

offer help first, then work your way up to offering to buy it

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
7/20/08 9:33 p.m.

It's not as though you'd be unbolting parts with the driver bleeding in the ditch. It never hurt to ask, and offering to help someone might build goodwill that could result in cheap parts soon.

Scott

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/20/08 9:38 p.m.
pigeon wrote: It's not as though you'd be unbolting parts with the driver bleeding in the ditch.

speak for yourself.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/08 7:33 a.m.

Aww you guys in the states still have ethics when it comes to car parts! How quaint! The AE92 coupe community down here first watches to see who drives like an idiot, then starts calling dibs on parts, but it's all for nothing because when the parts come off it's a ravenous feeding frenzy, unless one person gets the scoop on them and hordes up an entire car's worth of parts for themselves, absolutely devastating the rest of us. At an accident, if the driver was alive and coherent we wouldn't hesitate to bid on parts at the accident scene.

But finding parts for AE92s isn't that bad compared to some other cars. The KP70 community is one step away from assassinating each other and stealing their cars.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/08 7:45 a.m.

After what ins may offer for the car the previous owner would welcome higher bids I'm sure. You'd be doing them a favor AFTER helping them as the Good Samaritan I'm sure you are.

"The insurance company offered what?! That's highway robbery! If it were me..I'd offer at least X. Am I serious? Hang on. Let me check with the boss....well yeah! Just to help you out ya know. "

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/21/08 11:35 a.m.

whats a KP70? A Toyota Starlet?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/08 2:56 p.m.

Reminds me of the cowboy who looses the shootout at high noon. "Well, I guess he ain't gonna be needin' them boots no more."

Dorsai
Dorsai New Reader
7/21/08 8:22 p.m.

Smurf blue, huh? Which end was bent? >evil grin<

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/08 11:24 p.m.

I was first on the scene of a roll over, this past Sunday afternoon, of a relatively new ranger (03-04 I think). After getting the driver out and sitting him down (he was bleeding and going in to shock) and applied some pressure to the wound I had time to size up the truck that was on its side propped up on the armco.

I seriously considered asking him if I could have the running boards as they would be easy to remove and the his truck was probably a total. Since I am sure that he will probably not remember me asking and he was bleeding I thought better of it and just sat there with him in the rain and waited for the police/fire and emt's to arrive.

I took this photo as I was leaving so my wife would not give me that look of "ya sure that is why you are late from getting home form the car shop".

And a side note VCR's loose in your truck cab in a rollover hurt when they hit you in the head. The great thing is he was waring his seat belt or it would have been much worse.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/22/08 8:51 a.m.

Yeah...I don't think anybody that was just in an accident like the one the OP described would probably be too welcoming of someone wanting to buy their freshly wrecked car. The one they were driving 5 minutes ago and then just had an unpleasant experience.

At most...I'd leave a card with an inquiry about buying the car instead of letting it go to the insurance auction...after they've had time to settle down a bit.

That's just my stance, Clem

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/22/08 9:05 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: ...and applied some pressure to the wood I had time to size up the truck that was on its side propped up on the armco...

So you applied pressure to his wood AND THEN checked out the truck?

huh huh huh...he said "wood".....huh huh huh

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/08 9:23 a.m.
phillyj wrote: whats a KP70? A Toyota Starlet?

Whoops I meant KP61 (RWD starlet)...guessed I mixed up EP70 and KP61 hmm not a bad idea actually

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
7/22/08 6:50 p.m.

I mostly wrote this tongue-in-cheek. It was just odd what popped into my head after seeing everyone was OK. There was already plenty of professional help on the scene, BTW. Otherwise I would have definitely stopped. The thing I'm wondering now is "how did they do that in a Miata?" It must have been very excessive speed, or something in the road. I only saw one car and no carcass, so maybe it was a lesson in throttle-lift oversteer.

I think it's better to let the shock of the accident wear off first, unless the driver is writing a price on the windshield.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/22/08 8:04 p.m.

lift throttle oversteer.. It's how I rolled my jeep.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/22/08 11:07 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
dean1484 wrote: ...and applied some pressure to the wood I had time to size up the truck that was on its side propped up on the armco...
So you applied pressure to his wood AND THEN checked out the truck? huh huh huh...he said "wood".....huh huh huh

Google autocorect at its finest

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/22/08 11:23 p.m.

my exsperience with insurance companies, you can get your setlement, and do a buy back at a marginal price($60 ish)

QuasiMondo
QuasiMondo New Reader
7/22/08 11:48 p.m.

Tacky, yes. Unethical, probably not.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/08 1:26 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
So you applied pressure to his wood AND THEN checked out the truck? huh huh huh...he said "wood".....huh huh huh

He's a VERY Good Samaritan

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/23/08 10:40 a.m.
QuasiMondo wrote: Tacky, yes. Unethical, probably not.

Well put.

Clem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gpWIOIGE38sskVbIH1KWEudpnIMxCRRb9M1gpIQuHjFR9RL4pkk9TkA8WvbX8q5z