1 ... 28 29 30
ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/31/24 7:40 a.m.

In-progress photos are a must, IMO. That's what keeps the thread going.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
1/31/24 7:51 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Agreed. I don't build, but I love watching you guys at work.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/11/24 6:00 p.m.

Sooooo Atlantis kits.....putting this back in the box for another day, it didnt exactly get me excited to build.  Those Shiney plastic donuts....they are the "tires" lol

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/11/24 6:18 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

OK, that answers my question, and explains why I haven't seen the present run built. This mold is over 60 years old. I had it when I was a kid, the mold was in better condition, but it doesn't build well at all. It is off proportionately as well. This is a subject that deserves a new modern engineered mold with a one piece body and real detail. 

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
4/11/24 9:02 p.m.

LOL, I knew there was another thread.  Here's my contribution to the "Winter Build" thread, my first car model since I was a teenager.  (That was a couple of minutes ago)  Thanks to Solfly, Turner X19, ddavid, RonnieFnD and others for goading me into this.  I credit the quality of the Mobius kit for the results, it went together really well.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/13/24 9:28 a.m.

I could build this one. The Polar Lights version of the Torino Talledega. I like the old NASCAR stuff.

4/13/24 9:32 a.m.

Good detail on this 429. You can even see where the pushrods go, even though this will be covered up by the manifold in the final build. Polar Lights also gives you a complete extra 427 that will be great for swapping into another build.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/13/24 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm watching this. Curiosity about Polar Lights, I've never done one of their kits.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/13/24 1:24 p.m.

3d printed sbf and t 10 for a 65 mercury comet I'm setting up to build.  This car will basically only be the body and most of the frame from the kit, I'm kinda going with aftermarket everything else.  I seen the box on the shelf then seen it in my head the way I would do it so I'm gonna try to do just that.

4/13/24 2:17 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm watching this. Curiosity about Polar Lights, I've never done one of their kits.

It's a nice little kit. There is a little cardboard garage to keep the body in when its inside the box, and the decals are protected inside a plastic pouch. Polar Lights was actually created to re-issue the old Aurora kits and then Polar Lights was bought out by a company called Round 2 that went on to acquire the rights and tooling for many out of production AMT and MPC kits. They have a very good reputation for quality.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/24 7:45 p.m.

I was so surprised when I saw this had recent posts and had kept going over the years and got going again.crying I saw this thread, clicked on it and forgot I started it haha Sadly I have been away from the bench for many years thanks to life and other interests taking over at the time but absolutely NEED to get back to building especially since my dad (the reason I am how I am and i'm into cars, racing, and model cars) passed away 2 years ago now and I want to build the 50 kits he has along with mine! Thanks everyone for the inspiration and motivationšŸ¤˜šŸ»

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/14/24 9:24 p.m.

In reply to NickF40 :

I will be going to NNL East this year, bringing at least 10 builds that have not been shown before. Most were from the Covid build series on this forum, and one just completed from the most recent winter build series we did. I hope several of the GRM builders will come this year. You listening Wally? I will take plenty of photos to post. Below is a pic of one I first showed at NNL East #4 for the Flat Head Ford theme. This is as close as I could to Richie Ginther's first drive, Sandberg Hill Climb 1950. A better V8-60 is now available to re-do this with, but it won't happen. Also pictured the Merit 1/24 series in my cabinet, most built by my father(1914-1979). The 1/72 WW1 aircraft above are 1/2 my builds, 1/2 Dad's. All below are mine.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/24 9:41 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Oh wow I love all those in that cabinet. I like how everythings setup.

I was planning to go to the NNL East again and of course this year, I have to work. I was gonna bring some of my dads that he hasn't brought there yet.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/15/24 7:39 a.m.

In reply to NickF40 :

Here's a step back view of the cabinet during installation. It was originally a watch display in a Costco. Dumpster retrieval by a friend. I installed the lighting, original was florescent tubes on top. Now LED.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/15/24 7:57 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to NickF40 :

Here's a step back view of the cabinet during installation. It was originally a watch display in a Costco. Dumpster retrieval by a friend. I installed the lighting, original was florescent tubes on top. Now LED.

Love the big Healey.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/15/24 7:57 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to NickF40 :

Love the big Healey.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/15/24 8:30 a.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

There is a full build thread on this forum for that model. It was a Covid build. AMC 304 V8 power.  The color is "Florida Green" an OEM color 1955-1957, home mixed brush type Tamiya shot with airbrush. Florida tag to go with the color, registered to a Volvo....

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/22/24 8:45 p.m.

Got invited to a meeting of a local model club tomorrow by a guy at the hobby shop.  Sounds like fun.  They said I can bring a model but I don't think I'm going to because mine aren't very good.   Should be fun to see all the other stuff people are building. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/22/24 10:49 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Bring things you are not happy with to mine the experiences of others looking for solutions. 

BenB
BenB HalfDork
4/23/24 9:35 a.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

What TurnerX19 said. You'll have the modeling version of a bunch of guys standing around the open hood of your 1/1 car, offering advice/opinions on why it won't start. There are always plenty of people in the clubs who are happy to help less experienced folks with their projects. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/29/24 5:29 p.m.

From the winter build. Had trouble with the top coat. Sent it swimming in Purple Power and it left the base tamiya coats alone. New top coat is Testors lacquer. I dodged a bullet here.

This was Testors Acrylic. Not sure what happened. Maybe just an old can?

After the bath.

New can of Testors Lacquer, Purplelicious!

1 ... 28 29 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qkOetm8w1kBoVneUSoFK9uC4hTUO9HU9HMfhCiLKpPNbLMsd4bewBlKIBrPlV7s4