1 2
jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/7/12 8:35 a.m.

I just got a 99 Miata and the brakes need to be replaced. So I think I should take this as an opportunity to upgrade the brakes for track use. I would like to keep it on the cheap so I was thinking of going OEM upgrade but I'm not sure where to look or what would be an upgrade. I would imagine the mazdaspeed would be an upgrade, but don't know where to pickup the parts.

Any suggestions, on upgrade options or where to get parts?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/12 8:41 a.m.

If it's a 99 you need to find out if it's got the Sport package or not - IIRC that came with uprated brakes which are the same as the ones on the Mazdaspeed.

However I've been wrong about this stuff before so you might want to wait until Keith shows up in this thread.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
5/7/12 8:52 a.m.

Unless you're gonna routinely top 150mph (turbo or V8 conversion?) at the end of the straights, the stock brakes are gonna be fine. I run 90 minute enduro's in Florida during the summer, and I've never had brake fade on my 1990. Just change out the pads to a track compound, and you'll be fine.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/7/12 9:02 a.m.

Should I just get oem rotors or would it be good to get some slotted ones? How do I tell if I have a sport vs non sport?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
5/7/12 9:09 a.m.

IIRC sport brakes weren't around in 99. 01+ with 16" wheels, and all 03+ are sport brakes. They have 11" rotors vs. 10" on the non-sport NBs.

Agreed with racerfink - the stock system is more than adequate with good pads, unless you are making way more power than stock.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
5/7/12 9:44 a.m.

Treat rotors as disposable and spend your money on good pads.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
5/7/12 9:47 a.m.

I also have a '99 NB, and I'd like to re-frame the question a bit. What's the best way to improve the feel of the stock brakes? I haven't had problems with brake fade in the car, but under hard braking I have nowhere near the confidence that I've had in any of my BMW's - the Miata's pedal feels more spongy, the feedback is less linear and it's harder to find the threshold between max braking and lock-up.

What's the best way to improve the feel: Braided lines? Upgraded master cylinder? Aftermarket calipers? Track pads? Proportioning valve?

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/7/12 10:06 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Treat rotors as disposable and spend your money on good pads.

where to get disposable rotors? rockauto?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/12 10:10 a.m.

In reply to nderwater:

On the Miatas I tracked (including my current NA), I pretty much ended up putting braided hoses on all of them. It does seem to improve the feel especially on a non-ABS car. I also tend to use Hawk HP+ pads, even though the squealing during road use can be a little annoying.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/12 10:19 a.m.

Best thing to do for improved braking on a single stop: an adjustable proportioning valve. That will let you make full use of the rear brakes. It's an easy install on an NA or NB Miata.

Best things for improve braking on multiple stops: pads and ducting. Keep that heat under control. Pads depend on what you're doing, of course. Add in some good fluid and you'll be fine as long as you're at stock-ish power levels.

The first step to improving the feel is to find something that's not working. In the case of a Miata system, make sure the calipers are moving freely on the slider pins. If the brake lines are 10-15 years old, replacing them with stainless or new rubber will likely get rid of some mushiness. And a full flush with new fluid, of course.

If you want to start swapping parts, throw in the booster and master cylinder from a 2001+ car. There are two boosters depending on how much boost you want, and the master is a 15/16" instead of a 7/8". A bit firmer. For bonus points, find the 929 master cylinder that's 1" and bolts on. You can't put these larger masters on the pre-2001 booster, though.

You can find cheap rotors all over the place. They are the least critical part of the braking system - meaning they'll make the least amount of difference. Unless they fail...

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/7/12 11:39 a.m.
jonnyd330 wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: Treat rotors as disposable and spend your money on good pads.
where to get disposable rotors? rockauto?

I got rotors at rebuilt calipers at NAPA. Shocking.

Oh, and don't repeat the mistake that I almost made, and apparently the dealer did on the other rear caliper- to retract the piston, you need a allen head tool, not a BIG screwdriver.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/7/12 12:19 p.m.
jonnyd330 wrote: where to get disposable rotors? rockauto?

Napa's basic rotors are completely sufficient. For street use I ran those rotors and the Mazda pads. I never found braking to be an issue but I wasn't tracking the car. For track use definitely use a track pad.

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
5/7/12 2:31 p.m.

Napa has a few lines of rotors. The lower line will be Chinese, the mid-level ones (~$10 more per corner) may be Chinese, may be Italian.

I've had no issues with the mid-level ones. Its really not an issue for these cars.

99 Sport package (like mine) has the same brakes as the standard cars. All I'm running is braided lines, Motul fluid, and Carbotech XP8 pads. Also run them on the street. Without much more than stock power they should be fine.

Biggest improvement in braking I've made was to get the pedal to the right height and use a rennenmetal gas pedal cover, being able to confidently heel-toe while modulating made a huge difference.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
5/7/12 3:50 p.m.

mid-level NAPA rotors have a maximum runout of .004, upper end NAPA rotors have a .002 maximum.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/7/12 4:50 p.m.

napa has these front rotors:

Premium - $20 Ultra Premium - $38 Hi-Perf - $89

Guessing you guys are referring to the ultra premium's.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
5/7/12 6:40 p.m.

Ultra Premiums are what I use on the race car.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/7/12 6:47 p.m.

I ran the $20 rotors and didn't have a problem with them.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/8/12 8:05 a.m.

What kind of pads should I get for street/autox duty? Once I start going to the track I will get some dedicated track pads.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
5/8/12 8:07 a.m.

The STR car I was co-driving had Napa crap pads front, and XP8s in the rear I think. Stock Miatas have a crazy front bias.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/8/12 9:13 a.m.

For street duty I used the Mazda original pads and loved them. Can't comment on AutoX as I never did it, sorry.

sevenracer
sevenracer New Reader
5/8/12 11:58 a.m.

More street use here - I had a set of Axxis Ultimates on a 99 Miata - loved them. Great initial bite and stopping power. But they made a lot of dust and didn't last long (sub 20k miles IIRC). Swapped them for some Akebono Ceramics - and was much less happy with those - poor initial bite. Cheapo parts store stuff now - adequate but forgettable. Never had an issue with spongy pedal - and still running original lines, calipers, etc.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/8/12 12:43 p.m.

The Axxis Ultimates sound good but seems like they don't last too long.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/12 12:59 p.m.

I like the Porterfield R4S for daily use as well as autox.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/8/12 1:20 p.m.
Keith wrote: I like the Porterfield R4S for daily use as well as autox.

I see FM carries those, do I need the clips or anything else with them? Who do I talk to about getting those delivered to Florida by Friday?

lghammer
lghammer None
11/20/13 6:24 a.m.

I was searching for an upgrade to my Miata front brakes and found this site. Please don't flame me if this was discuss somewhere else.

I can't find good info on VW-1990-Corrado-Rotors and related upgrades. Any help? Is there a better thread?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1lzoH3cHPBmrzje6PSzed0SS67aThAjOurdz09GaBzzF70XrwbkzX1YyXtSYzDqD