1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/13 7:14 a.m.

For street/autox I find that cheapo semi-metallics are fine. On the track they'll get melty almost as easy as your average OEM pads though.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/20/13 10:13 a.m.
lghammer wrote: I was searching for an upgrade to my Miata front brakes and found this site. Please don't flame me if this was discuss somewhere else. I can't find good info on VW-1990-Corrado-Rotors and related upgrades. Any help? Is there a better thread?

lghammer - Welcome to the site! I would start a new thread on help for that, as some of the VW loyalist may skip this thread :)

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
11/20/13 10:49 a.m.

For rotors, I use Centric. The hub area is painted with their electrostatic black paint so it never looks crusty and rusty like the NAPA / auto parts store and Brembo rotors look. Tire Rack has them for ~$25 a rotor.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Centric&model=Plain+120+Series+Rotors&group=Plain+120+Series+Rotors&cat=Rotors

Beyond that, do what Keith mentioned.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
11/20/13 11:47 a.m.

As mentioned, rotors are inexpensive and they do have a front bias. I've been told that some people run a more aggressive pad in the rear than the front to balance it out, expecially on non-ABS cars. I made the opposite mistake once and the front would lock up easily. Everyone has their one favorite pads, I like CarboTech and currently have the 1521's front and rear. Since my 99 Base is now primarily a autocross car with track work in the future I'll probably upgrade to something like AX6 in the front and AX8 in the rear. Or keep 1521 in the front and go AX6 in the rear. I have Hawk HPS on my RX8 and like them and know people that run them on Miata's with no complaints.

I've found driving mine on the street with these better brake pads that you have to watch the cars behind you as you can stop faster than they can.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
11/20/13 12:23 p.m.

I have crazy E36 M3 pads on the front of my STR miata and HP+ (I think) in the rear. The stock bias is pretty insane.

RE: Corrado rotor upgrades, I think you are talking about the 949 Racing kit: http://949racing.com/miata-big-rotor-kit.aspx

I would like more info on that kit also - how is the rotor centered? The VW hub bore is larger than miata, and the holes in the rotor are for 14mm studs, not 12mm like miatas have.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
losTQm6Yaxiz4EloeIamU5HNEzsnsn8bEVmmzkLTTZZLxbqlT7z7OVNaDyrStkbK