Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/24/23 11:10 p.m.

My AC will hold a charge for 4-5 months, but I couldn't find the leak. I recently changed my clutch slave cylinder and my UV flashlight lit up the florescein dye in the evaporator drain line. 

This will be my first time working on AC. I have read that this can be done in this car by only removing the glove compartment, any comments or suggestions on that aspect would be welcome. Also, what other parts should be changed?

I'll start by getting the system evacuated, and I have vacuum pump and gauges to finish with. Any suggestions?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/23 11:18 a.m.

I took the evaporator out of my NB1 (swapped in the Spec Miata delete hose) and it was easy -- glove box, a couple brackets, after that there are just a couple of clamps and bolts holding it in.

If you're putting in a used evaporator core then it's probably worth swapping the O-rings in it, but I dunno about anything else.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/23 10:53 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I will buy a new one, I don't want to repeat the job 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/26/23 12:35 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I will buy a new one, I don't want to repeat the job 

Heh.  I replaced a leaking one in my FD (very similar layout to the NB), but had to go with a used one because new were NLA!

Oh, there's probably something about replacing the dryer if the system has been open to atmosphere for a long time, but I'm not a real AC tech so I can't give details on that.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/26/23 8:37 a.m.

Considering that you need to pay the shop to discharge/recover the system, and then vacuum/recharge the new system, I don't see where there is much savings in doing this yourself, plus you have to schedule two visits to the AC shop.

I would drop it off and pick it up with whatever warranty is included for the work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I98sZAg9QwSR1jQPVnEjzbDH7d24sNzLYY1RwyBeILiRLroIIYakBcBNJzMj4CpR