1 2
2GRX7
2GRX7 New Reader
1/28/17 10:01 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: I watched this episode a month ago and am still torqued that the civic didn't make it. Didn't even compete. And then no one tries to get it going after disaster strikes! The one time they do a Japanese car episode and it bombed out. Not the best episode they've done. I demand a redo with something else. (First gen civics were not great)

I was feeling just like you were! I wanted the guys to come in with an E-Bay-turbo'ed 4.8L LS thrown into the RX-7 with big wheels/flares and embarrass the competition!

And that smoking issue with the Honda was down to, according to Fin, oil on the exhaust! WHAAAT?! That should've been taken care of EASILY.

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
1/29/17 12:37 a.m.

Oil in the exhaust can take a long time to burn off, I know someone that had a turbo fail on a tdi and empty most of the oil pan either into the exhaust or the intercooler and it took like 800 miles to stop smoking after installing a new turbo.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/29/17 7:18 a.m.
dropstep wrote: Crusher is small block, automatic not stick. I think they should leave the ls on a crate in the parking lot and put the big block off stubby bob in the rx7

Not anymore it isn't. The tunnel-rammed LS7/4L70E from the Roadkill episode got swapped out for a blown 427 LSx/4L85E in Hot Rod Garage, and then Freiburger has been posting photos of it's new set-up, which is a classic Gen I SBC with a tunnel ram and '70s speed parts and manual transmission.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/29/17 8:33 a.m.
NickD wrote:
dropstep wrote: Crusher is small block, automatic not stick. I think they should leave the ls on a crate in the parking lot and put the big block off stubby bob in the rx7
Not anymore it isn't. The tunnel-rammed LS7/4L70E from the Roadkill episode got swapped out for a blown 427 LSx/4L85E in Hot Rod Garage, and then Freiburger has been posting photos of it's new set-up, which is a classic Gen I SBC with a tunnel ram and '70s speed parts and manual transmission.

A Gear star turbo 350 with a 4500 stall, reverse manual valvebody and a trans brake. As of thursday when they went live on facebook. he said he didnt want to do the work it takes too put a manual trans in the car.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/29/17 10:09 a.m.

This episode really has me pining. My first car was a '73 1200cc Civic. My second car was a '80 12A RX-7.

Off to visit Craig...

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/17 10:11 a.m.

Likewise, my first car was a 1983 RX-7. I solemnly swear that I never participated in any hoonage at all similar to the hoonage on display in that video.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
1/29/17 11:18 a.m.

I liked the episode. I especially liked that they left the rx-7 alone.

Watching them do some ridiculous swap would have been neat too, but I like when a car show just shows that you can, in fact, buy an old beater and have it be a great car that you don't need to throw crazy mods at to have fun with.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
1/29/17 11:21 a.m.

I really liked the look of the Civic with no bumpers. I had a '77 and then a '78, and always have a soft spot for those cars.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/29/17 12:01 p.m.

Do you think the track staff, the normal folk and the people just in the surrounding area are told to treat them like nobody's?

I know if they showed up at a parking lot I was in or was a staff at the track, I'd be treating them more like celebrities.

Everywhere they go it seems like no one knows them whether the venue is car-related or not.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/29/17 12:12 p.m.

I think Mazda is like:

"WTF frieburger, where was this glowing review of our rx7 37 years ago? I mean, we're glad you like the car but really? How long have you been in automotive press? Never driven a stock rx7?"

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/29/17 1:10 p.m.

I'm kinda disappointed they didn't use any Kraut or Dago cars.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/29/17 5:10 p.m.

Crap. I didn't know how much I wanted an early rx7 until I saw that.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
1/29/17 5:13 p.m.

I really enjoyed the episode. Loved seeing the rx7. Sad about the civic though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NcZOmDtMaHCWUxDaOjEvOrUfqkJVVGohTR5pFZjeBld5Z9Chardm46QN7MqjBnbO