1 2 3
gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/8/09 11:44 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: i think its that i enjoy driving a car more when i've taken if from looking somewhat ragged, to looking pretty darn nice. i did the whole wash, clay bar, wax thing on mine a while back and it was pretty satisfying to be able to see the changes that a couple of hours work can impart on your car

Indeed, there is something very satisfying about fresh wax. It's that "my car looks better than yours" thing that goes through my head.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/8/09 12:35 p.m.

I like the shift boot, advice on how to make one?

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/8/09 1:14 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I like the shift boot, advice on how to make one?

Sure! Basically the shifter boot is a pyramid, 2 fat triangles, east and west, and 2 skinnies, north and south. From the original boot I had a decent fat and skinny, perfect to make a template.

1. I cut the original boot apart and traced the triangles on the cloth.

2. I then cut out the triangles from the fabric about a 1/4" to the outside of what I had traced.

3. I put the 4 pieces together inside-out and stitched it by hand (I couldn't, for the life of me, get the sewing machine to work)

4. With the newly sewed boot still inside-out, I installed the shift knob upside down and glued the ring that clips on the original knob.

5. From there, I turned the whole thing right-side out and revealed my beautiful stitched boot as shown in the first pic of the boot in the earlier post when it is laying on the table.

6. Then I simply pulled the bottom edges of the boot over the factory plastic trim piece and glued it in place.

I used an old pair of work pants that the waist band came off in the wash, the fabric matched the interior and it was effectively free. The whole project took maybe 45 minutes and I've never sewn anything before. I'll see if I can get some more pictures up for you.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/8/09 5:45 p.m.

New pictures! Because threads are more fun with something to look at.

As it sits currently, dirty!

Here is the little spot I cleaned and applied some carnauba to. Paint looks promising. Also, if you look at the squiggly lines surrounding it, you can see all of the worm or snail tracks. The car is currently covered with these tracks.

Here are some more pictures of the shift boot that go along with my last "How to" post.

Stitched inside-out and the install shift knob upside down

Boot glued to the plastic trim

Installed, good as new.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/8/09 5:56 p.m.

Seriously. Reader Rides. You can post updates, pix, be in the running for IHROTM, the car will be attached to your profile, the works.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
1/8/09 6:30 p.m.

It would be hard for me, but I would try to run it with the paint as is. You can't get that patina just anywhere... nice score btw,,

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/8/09 6:52 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Seriously. Reader Rides. You can post updates, pix, be in the running for IHROTM, the car will be attached to your profile, the works.

I've added it! I even used a high-resolution shot so it'll be easier to put it in the magazine .

Who picks IHROTM anyway?

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
1/8/09 10:29 p.m.

Great story on picking the car up. How soon before you wash that thing!

Purplehaze
Purplehaze New Reader
1/8/09 11:42 p.m.

Just for giggles you ought to mask off a strip of dirt from the nose to the tail of the car. Then Power Wash off the rest of the dirt off to make a filthy racing stripe.

Drive it like that for a while. Bonus points for making the rest of the paint as shiny and pretty as possible.

92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/9/09 12:40 a.m.

In reply to Carson:

I did the BABE Rally last year in a 90 Miata. It was a little tight but luggage for two people for a week fit. Head over to Streetsafari.com and read up about the BABE Rally and the cult it entitles..

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/09 7:10 a.m.

You should copy those shift boot instructions into Tech Tips.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/9/09 7:18 a.m.

Good idea

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/9/09 11:48 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: You should copy those shift boot instructions into Tech Tips.

I will be sure to do that when I get home.

Tim, can we add pictures to the Tech Tips?

Edit: Added to "Tech Tips"

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/9/09 12:16 p.m.

Not currently. I'll add it to my to-do list.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/9/09 1:32 p.m.
Purplehaze wrote: Just for giggles you ought to mask off a strip of dirt from the nose to the tail of the car. Then Power Wash off the rest of the dirt off to make a filthy racing stripe. Drive it like that for a while. Bonus points for making the rest of the paint as shiny and pretty as possible.

Maybe I should clear coat a small section over the filth. That way if it ever becomes too cocky as a race car it can always be reminded of it's roots.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/28/09 10:30 p.m.

Update:

After working on it a couple hours here and a few minutes there since I last posted, the clutch is in and it is on the road! I just took it for a test drive! What a fantastic layout, the shifter location is perfect and that 2.2 is surprisingly torquey.

It's still disgustingly dirty though.

I'll take some dirty pictures tomorrow and update my reader's ride page. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/763/

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
1/28/09 11:38 p.m.

I used to use Meguiars' Color RX on heavily oxidized 91 Jetta GLI, made it shiny as hell..i'd recommend giving that a whirl.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/29/09 8:01 a.m.

Sounds good, I'll give that a shot. Hopefully it'll be warm enough this weekend to try to rinse off some filth.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/29/09 9:54 a.m.

If it's early 90s toyota red, you'll never be able to keep it red unless you respray it. They used a single stage red that ALWAYS fades to pink.

The only way to really restore it is with a proper clay bar, buff, and wax that sucker once a month.

That engine is one of the most under-appreciated motors on the face of the planet.

Glad you're liking it!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/29/09 4:45 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: The only way to really restore it is with a proper clay bar, buff, and wax that sucker once a month.

I'd say do the multi-step thing once a year and touch it up w/ a one-step cleaner wax monthly. Also, park it in the shade when you can.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/29/09 5:56 p.m.

Gamby, I will gladly take detailing advice from you any day. I've seen pictures of your work, incredible.

Posted some updates in the Reader's Ride section.

I lied and didn't get any out and about pictures today, I'll try for tomorrow.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/29/09 6:10 p.m.
Carson wrote: Gamby, I will gladly take detailing advice from you any day. I've seen pictures of your work, incredible.

[hanukkah harry]Stop! You're embarassing me!!![/hanukkah harry]

I just wish you were closer by--I'd LOVE to resurrect that thing.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
2/1/09 8:32 p.m.

Update: As promised on the road pictures:

My wife wouldn't ride in it as disgusting as it was, so we brazed the frigid and washed it.

More updates on my reader's ride page.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/1/09 9:23 p.m.

Seeing the full thing dirty i wanted to cry seeing it getting washed

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/09 9:54 p.m.

The dirty pics looked like an entry to "Ran When Parked."

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners