1 2 3
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/20 6:28 a.m.
svxsti said:
Nick Comstock said:

Tried to watch it.  Didn't last 30 seconds. Doesn't speak to me at all.  May try again in a couple months or years. 

Agreed.

I didn't even make it past the YouTube thumbnail.  All I see is a field of riced-out cars with wannathugs posing next to them.  Zero interest.

It doesn't matter how fast they are or aren't, posing for image = poser.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
12/5/20 9:14 a.m.

It did make me go to autotempest and look for a sporty hatch, so it worked. 

Didn't watch much of the video. 

simplecat
simplecat Reader
12/5/20 10:31 a.m.

In the end it was alot like the USCC where the most expensive and least modified car won. That said, I enjoyed it, as I enjoy a number of these youtube shows. I also really liked sport compact car. 

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/5/20 10:51 a.m.
dps214 said:
NorseDave said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

The point of the show isn't to find out which one is fastest, it's to find highly-modified cars that actually work (or don't). Honestly, I'm hoping for some carnage.

You'll enjoy episode 4.  Except for the winner part.  Lame. 

Do you mean the wrap up where they announce the winner, or the actual winning car? The presentation of that was definitely underwhelming, like they went over time and had to fil that part themselves or something. IMO the right car won, though the scores probably should have been closer. They were constantly harping on how the endurance part was worth the most and was the biggest factor, and then the difference between completing all the laps and less than half of them was a whopping 5 points.

The actual winning car.  Running 10 ~1:30 laps shouldn't be THAT big of a challenge.  That's 15 minutes.  Particularly not for these cars that left the factory at $150k+ and could have done 1:30 laps until they ran out of fuel in stock form (911 Turbo and Viper ACR, I'm looking at you).  They should have awarded something like 10 points per completed lap - there's a big difference between doing all 10 laps with no issues and going into limp mode after 2.

Also, can anyone explain WTF the 911 guy was talking about with "it probably hit a torque limit and then you have to restart it."  It's your shop that built and tuned it, shouldn't YOU have dealt with that (if it exists)?  He made it sound like Porsche was at fault.  

If anything, seems like a good way of identifying shops I'd never take my car to.  

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/20 11:01 a.m.
simplecat said:

In the end it was alot like the USCC where the most expensive and least modified car won. That said, I enjoyed it, as I enjoy a number of these youtube shows. I also really liked sport compact car. 

Most expensive stock maybe, but definitely not the most expensive there. The Calvo Viper ACR TT is a $500K car.

simplecat
simplecat Reader
12/5/20 11:21 a.m.

Yeah, I meant most expensive starting point. Like when the owner of Axis wheels won the USCC with a basically stock F430. I guess the least modified line was the operative part.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
12/5/20 11:36 a.m.
NorseDave said:
dps214 said:
NorseDave said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

The point of the show isn't to find out which one is fastest, it's to find highly-modified cars that actually work (or don't). Honestly, I'm hoping for some carnage.

You'll enjoy episode 4.  Except for the winner part.  Lame. 

Do you mean the wrap up where they announce the winner, or the actual winning car? The presentation of that was definitely underwhelming, like they went over time and had to fil that part themselves or something. IMO the right car won, though the scores probably should have been closer. They were constantly harping on how the endurance part was worth the most and was the biggest factor, and then the difference between completing all the laps and less than half of them was a whopping 5 points.

The actual winning car.  Running 10 ~1:30 laps shouldn't be THAT big of a challenge.  That's 15 minutes.  Particularly not for these cars that left the factory at $150k+ and could have done 1:30 laps until they ran out of fuel in stock form (911 Turbo and Viper ACR, I'm looking at you).  They should have awarded something like 10 points per completed lap - there's a big difference between doing all 10 laps with no issues and going into limp mode after 2.

Also, can anyone explain WTF the 911 guy was talking about with "it probably hit a torque limit and then you have to restart it."  It's your shop that built and tuned it, shouldn't YOU have dealt with that (if it exists)?  He made it sound like Porsche was at fault.  

If anything, seems like a good way of identifying shops I'd never take my car to.  

Yeah, I'll agree that that particular guy seemed like a bit of an idiot. But that's how a lot of those shops are, the guy with all the money is just competent enough to hire a bunch of really smart and capable people to do the real work. I imagine the issue is a safety feature in the stock ECU that nobody's managed to override yet. That said, considering it seemed to be a known issue I don't see why they wouldn't have just turned it down like 10% for that part (and I have to imagine they'll have it resolved one way or another for the finale, whereas all the other cars would need complete brake/cooling system overhauls which is a much bigger fail IMO...and even the BMW didn't exactly pass with flying colors, IIRC it still had some minor brake issues or something, just not enough to stop running). But it was still the all around best car there, minor hiccup aside. The endurance points definitely should have been structured differently though.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
12/6/20 3:35 p.m.

Agreed and ending winners announcement could have been done better.  Plus agree that the endurance points could have been tallied differently to penalize those that couldn't complete the required laps. 

I appreciated how they cared about not breaking the cars for the owners though.  

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
12/6/20 8:22 p.m.

It was just a pretty bizarre collection of cars. BMW track ride, S2000 time attack car, a roll race viper, IS300 with a completely ridiculous power band 1997 JDM style.  Lapping a viper on Mickey Thompsons is ridiculous, as is a 500 plus wheel horsepower S2000 with stock brakes.  I really enjoyed the carnage and some of the unintentional humor though.  You could show up with a GT3, GTR, or Z06 with some power bolt-ons and basic suspension / brake mods and win this thing.  It almost felt like they went out of their way to get ridiculous cars, and maybe they did!

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
12/6/20 9:21 p.m.
turtl631 said:

It was just a pretty bizarre collection of cars. BMW track ride, S2000 time attack car, a roll race viper, IS300 with a completely ridiculous power band 1997 JDM style.  Lapping a viper on Mickey Thompsons is ridiculous, as is a 500 plus wheel horsepower S2000 with stock brakes.  I really enjoyed the carnage and some of the unintentional humor though.  You could show up with a GT3, GTR, or Z06 with some power bolt-ons and basic suspension / brake mods and win this thing.  It almost felt like they went out of their way to get ridiculous cars, and maybe they did!

I will definitely agree with that (and the winner was a 911 with basic power mods and some suspension parts that probably weren't an actual improvement over stock). Unless they didn't tell the people anything about what the cars were going to be put through I can't imagine signing up for that and not at least slapping decent brake pads and a set of appropriate tires on the car first.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/6/20 11:01 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Ultimate dyno queen challenge seems more realistic.  This has the illusion of competition, but none of these vehicles are built for any form of competition it appears.  Unless I am missing something?

I'd love to see a benchmark car thrown in there, like the C&D challenge back in the day when a stock Z06 smoked all the highly modified tuner cars.  

I just watched the last episode and I feel like what I said on the first page still stands.

Some of those cars are really impressive, but its a bit sad that they couldn't handle 10 laps of the track.  Actually, I think the BMW is the only one that made it more than 4 laps?

On a show-related note, the winner announcement was kinda lame yeah.  Seriously, no table showing the final standings, or the laptime, or #of laps? 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
12/7/20 12:47 a.m.

I especially liked their reaction to hearing how much $ the BMW guy had in his car.  

ojannen
ojannen Reader
12/7/20 4:15 a.m.

What causes the cars to be dripping large amounts of oil after a few laps on track?  It happened on the Viper and Mustang.  I guessed too much crankcase pressure but that feels like the kind of thing you solve before you hit massive hp numbers.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/7/20 7:52 a.m.
ojannen said:

What causes the cars to be dripping large amounts of oil after a few laps on track?  It happened on the Viper and Mustang.  I guessed too much crankcase pressure but that feels like the kind of thing you solve before you hit massive hp numbers.

It definitely seems like something you would solve before you took it to a competition like this.  Its just funny that the quest is to find the best 'sorted' car, and the entire field with the exception of the BMW is not 'sorted' at all.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
12/8/20 12:03 p.m.

Street pull sorted.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/8/20 5:02 p.m.

I know Cody and his S2000. He ran with our local autocross club for a number of years, before moving to Florida, and the car was "sorted", loud as hell, but consistently fast, then he added the turbo.  He blamed old coils for his failure on track laps and his 60-150 time.  Of note, a competitor dropped out and he was contacted at the last minute.

12/12/20 5:14 p.m.

The west coast intros are up. The GT350R looks very well sorted...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/13/20 10:29 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

The west coast intros are up. The GT350R looks very well sorted...

Lol. 

Host:  You say this is purpose built, what is the purpose?

Owner: Oh, you know, go to car shows and go to track events with some groups...

I dig how brutally honest the Supra owner was.

The GT350R does look well sorted in the sense that it has had cubic dollars spent on it.  I'm wondering how the C5 fares.  The intro didn't give much insight into it, but I could see a C5 with some of the reliability issues addressed putting some real hurt on the other cars on the track portion of the event.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/13/20 5:25 p.m.

The fact that the C5 owner is like 60 and is the original owner makes me think it might walk all over the others. 

I did find it funny the Supra guy was like "I did X, and that made it much worse.  Then I did Y, and it got even worse.  Now it's basically terrible."

12/13/20 5:52 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

As a C5Z owner I am very much looking forward to how the C5 will fair in the competition.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/13/20 5:55 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

As a C5Z owner I am very much looking forward to how the C5 will fair in the competition.

Yeah.  I'll be honest, something about the choice in wheels & the hood vents makes me think its not well suited for this :(

I think a sorted C5Z could be the perfect budget car for this type of competition.  It would lose the high speed pull, but even stock should do well on the timed lap, hot lap, and streetability.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
12/13/20 8:01 p.m.

Haven't started watching it yet, but based upon the 14,000 thumbs up and the 200 thumbs down, we GRM types don't understand how to succeed on YouTube. That's neither good nor bad, it simply is. Probably something to do with being old though, hah.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/13/20 9:06 p.m.
NorseDave said:

The fact that the C5 owner is like 60 and is the original owner makes me think it might walk all over the others. 

I did find it funny the Supra guy was like "I did X, and that made it much worse.  Then I did Y, and it got even worse.  Now it's basically terrible."

Funny how age can make people focus on actually sorting things instead of just buying parts. And I'm 20 years younger than him. Of course younger people are capable of sorting things too with the right guidance or background.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
12/13/20 9:08 p.m.

I'm old and grew up waiting for the rare times when Wide World Of Sports would have any kind of car stuff on the program. AND,  I was then willing to sit through segments of tennis, swimming, golf, or other sports to be able to see car segments. So I'm glad to see stuff like this, you young guys are spoiled ahahaha..

So if all these folks know their cars are going to be driven on a road course for the rolling 60-150 and timed hot laps why don't the folks/shops who obviously have plenty of disposable income put some fresh sticky DOT R tires on?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/13/20 9:19 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

Funny how age can make people focus on actually sorting things instead of just buying parts. And I'm 20 years younger than him. Of course younger people are capable of sorting things too with the right guidance or background.

Honestly, I think participation in motorsports is what makes you focus on sorting things.  If you do track days, you want your car to be sorted so it can survive the track day.  If it breaks its no fun for you.  If you race your car and it breaks, you can't win.  Drag strip, autox, time trials, etc. all encourage it.  If all you do is Cars and Coffee or highway pulls, you won't really have any incentive.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n1gopVeCBnMONRC8OC5pSXiDiypVpIxWf22uduzf4P67aKB4GQMmVnsn4M6ihTQo