1 2
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/20/24 10:21 a.m.
feature_image

Supplies of motorsports-oriented tires in popular sizes often run dry over the winter, with spring restocking matching the usual increase in demand for the new season. But sometimes external factors get in the way, as what recently occurred with Nankang.

A number of containers of fresh tires at ports on both coasts were refused entry by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and sent back …

Read the rest of the story

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/20/24 10:57 a.m.

Jeebus.  I suppose having the correct address makes us all bureaucratically safer somehow, but couldn't this have been corrected in a 21st century way, like by emailing/texting a pdf with the correct address listed?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/20/24 11:04 a.m.

What port?

If it's where I think it is.........this is typical of them.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/21/24 10:28 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

What port?

If it's where I think it is.........this is typical of them.

Don't know which port it began at, but it immediately escalated to all ports...both coasts.  I guess once you're on the "bad" list, you get flagged everywhere.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/21/24 10:43 a.m.

Here's the deets...plant is listed as Active in the first screen shot.  Second one shows the Main Office field, which was added in 2002, is missing.  And nobody checked/cared about it for two decades!!!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/24 10:44 a.m.

This is why mindless bureaucracy is bad ladies and gents. 

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
3/21/24 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

That would make sense, therefore, they won't do it that way. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/24 11:04 a.m.

The company that makes my phone, F(x)tec, was sunk in large part due to a similar issue that caused their entire first batch of phones to be returned to sender when they reached their destination countries, so this tiny company had to pay international shipping costs twice.

Too bad these tires have to make two more trips across the Pacific while this paperwork issue gets sorted out...

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/21/24 11:08 a.m.

When I worked in manufacturing we used an experienced freight forwarder for this exact reason.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/21/24 11:08 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Too bad these tires have to make two more trips across the Pacific while this paperwork issue gets sorted out...

The good news is that there is another shipment that had not yet left the docks in Taiwan, so it only needs to go the one way.  But it's only one retailer getting those.

AhBNormal
AhBNormal Reader
3/21/24 11:22 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/21/24 11:53 a.m.

I had been running my XSB Miata on 245/40R15 Nankangs but retired it from autocrossing this year in favor of an E/Street MR2 Spyder on RE71RSs. Glad I made that move, or my Miata would be shoeless.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
3/21/24 11:53 a.m.
AhBNormal said:

In reply to Toyman! :

And some folks want them in charge of your HEALTHCARE??? YIKES!

As a reference, since you're fairly new, this would likely count as "politics" to many and we don't discuss politics here.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/21/24 12:02 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
AhBNormal said:

In reply to Toyman! :

As a reference, since you're fairly new, this would likely count as "politics" to many and we don't discuss politics here.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
3/21/24 12:27 p.m.
NickD said:
Mr_Asa said:
AhBNormal said:

In reply to Toyman! :

More like

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/21/24 1:04 p.m.

thank you everybody for keeping this forum politics free...  

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/21/24 1:07 p.m.

when the way you did it was wrong; "we've always done it that way" isn't an excuse. 

Nankang is a global distributor of semi-durable goods.  While I agree that a missing field in a 20 year old database is a dumb reason to reject all shipments, I also wonder why Nankang hasn't audited the process to determine that data was missing and worked to fix it (and maybe they did, i don't know)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
3/21/24 1:09 p.m.

In reply to ClearWaterMS :

Considering the fact that it's been that way for 20 berking years, I more wonder if the process/requirements didn't change in the past 10 or so and no one noticed or cared.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/24 1:12 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

when the way you did it was wrong; "we've always done it that way" isn't an excuse. 

It does seem like they could have just moved the container over to the side of yard for a couple of days while they waited to sort out the paperwork, instead of sending it all the way back.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/21/24 1:21 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
ClearWaterMS said:

It does seem like they could have just moved the container over to the side of yard for a couple of days while they waited to sort out the paperwork, instead of sending it all the way back.

the scene from Day's of Thunder about "Lettuce inspection" rings true:

WoodyatTR
WoodyatTR GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/21/24 1:28 p.m.

From the Tire Rack side of things I can say our point of contact at Nankang is working hard to mitigate this situation. Not only correcting the paperwork, but working on securing production for a leapfrog shipment so we don't have to wait for tires to transit back to Taiwan and then bounce back to the US again. ETA info found on TireRack.com Nankang Sportnex CR-S will be as up to date as we have at the moment.

Thanks to all for patience as this gets sorted.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/24 2:27 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
ClearWaterMS said:

The article says the deletion of the address was in the NHTSA's database and was caused by the NHTSA updating its database. So a private company was punished by a bureaucracy because of the incompetence of the bureaucracy. Yeah, that sounds about like most bureaucracies work. They berkeley up, you pay. 

Personally, I hope Nankang sues the NHTSA for lost income and shipping costs plus punitive damages. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/24 2:27 p.m.

I got caught out by this. Thanks for posting the details on why it happened.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/21/24 3:42 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

It is also entirely possible software got upgraded and the only option is to reject it.

It may well be beyond the ports control.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/21/24 3:54 p.m.

W/o getting too political...

When I first heard of this, my tin-foil hat perked up.  Nankang has been dinged before (Google "Nankang dumping") as part of US imposed trade imbalance tariff schemes.  Others from Taiwan also hit by it.  It's one of the reasons Nankang pricing has gone up recently when that case settled.

Was this new action related?  Is there more to this story? In fact, perhaps NHTSA and US CBP agents knew all along of the missing info and kept it as an ace up the sleeve? 

But then I said..."nah, that could never happen" and took my hat off.  "Has to be something more straightforward"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nLeUxSk1TcGJYZP5a10USzSGi4mGQEIq4tctbb8Tkku87EsHlr1JFqOz3wvNIuUs