ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/5/15 8:08 a.m.

I have been running an undersized BFG Rival on my M3 -- 245/40/18. They have been a great tire for both autox and track events, and good weather driving.

I now have 4 new Apex wheels, and they are wider than the stock M3 wheels I've been using. I'd like to run a square setup in the OEM size of 255/35/18. The Rival is not available in that size.

There are lots of options -- but the NT05 is a bit less expensive. I've never seen them in a comparison test, and I know they aren't likely as fast as the fastest tires. But then I am not chasing any trophies -- I autox and lap for fun and friends.

I am looking for real world experience. Is this a dark horse tire? Or is this a dead horse tire?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/15 8:17 a.m.

I loved them on my RX8. They tend to wear just off center first. They lasted me a year of track and commuting. Decent in rain actually. However they are VERY noisy.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
3/5/15 9:25 a.m.

I ran them on the project yellow Miata at Sebring in a NASA race. I too was impressed. Though it was my first time ever at Sebring so I probably wasn't pushing as hard as I would at say VIR.

Maybe it was just me or the way I was driving but they seemed to take a little longer to get up to temp. Very good, predictable dropoff at the edge, though.

drdisque
drdisque Reader
3/5/15 11:05 a.m.

While I have no first hand experience with the nitto, i hear it described a lot like the Hankook RS3. Which leads me to believe it has a soft sidewall. BMW's love hard sidewalled tires, so I would steer you towards the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec which is also available in that size. if you're looking for a deal TireRack still has the non-Star Spec's still in stock at closeout prices in that size.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
65lohiEuhNIAovonU1p0So7gB2Cnn13teNkKacm6riYOQ2IVY87mU4eBYvskZ8UL