mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/11 11:51 a.m.

Been looking at a 325ix. Yes.. the awd version. Been having evil thoughts that would send purists looking for big rocks to stone me with...

what is the body differences between the IX and the i/is/e? I am thinking that the differences that make it an IX are all in the drivetrain and suspension?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/10/11 11:59 a.m.

Don't know bodies, I do know i/is/e wheels don't fit the ix. Caliper diameters.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/10/11 12:07 p.m.

Front strut towers are different too.

NY535iManual
NY535iManual New Reader
2/10/11 12:09 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

The front shock towers are different - more vertical as opposed to angled as in non-iX cars, and are reinforced - but as I recall the distance between is the same. The oil pump is different, as it is mounted differently. Wheel offsets are et41 or 45. Mad, if you are thinking of a transplant, I'd love to hear more about your concept.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/10/11 12:19 p.m.

The iX has a body kit with fender flares and rocker panel covers. Front shock towers are different, as are the front control arms. Otherwise, the body and interior are essentially the same; depending on the year of the car and/or the options it may have leather sport seats, power windows and sunroof, sport steering wheel, ten button onboard computer, trunk spoiler and a different chin spoiler. The floorpan is shaped differently around the transmission tunnel to accomodate the transfer case. The rear suspension is mainly the same but it has a different viscous limited slip differential, and I think the mounting points on it are different than a regular e30. The wheels have a different offset, and they may be 15" alloy basketweaves.

There was an article in the latest Roundel magazine about e30 M3 convertibles; it said BMW originally based it on an iX chassis, but then when it finally went into production they switched to the same chassis setup as an M3 coupe.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/10/11 12:22 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

In addition to the shock towers, the entire front suspension is different- control arms, struts, etc.

The oil pan is different and unique to the IX for those model years to accommodate the front differential and drive shafts. Euro-spec e34 525ix oil pans will fit. Good luck finding one.

The transmission has a different case to accommodate the transfer case that bolts on the back.

The internals of the manual transmission are supposed to be identical.

Edit: Also, the front sub-frame is aluminum and also has different mount points.

Automatic transmission models have some difference in the transmissions themselves, I forget what it is. There might also be a difference in the ECU.

Final drive ratios were different as well, if I recall correctly.

(edit) Fixed my typo.

Brett_Murphy
2/10/11 12:24 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

I forgot about the body kit. You'd think the body kit would be a hot item (I liked the way they looked) but I've been trying to sell a red one for months now.

NY535iManual
NY535iManual New Reader
2/10/11 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Brett - I've looked at mounting the body kit to non-iX cars, and it is more involved than I at first thought it would be, so maybe that explains. When I bought my iX i immediately bought a clean body kit, oil pump and other model specific goodies.

Also, Mad, the offset M3 control arms do fit and work well, NWS some other suspension differences.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/10/11 12:28 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Final drive ratios were different as well, if I recall correctly.

In the US the iX had 3.91 gears for manual transmission cars, 4.10 for automatics. In europe you could 3.73 or 3.64 gears if you wanted.

I have two of them, an '88 with a stick and an '89 with an automatic. From personal experience I can tell you the automatic cars are S-L-O-W. It's just about impossible to get the engine above about 3500 rpm before it shifts to the next gear so you can never get the thing into its powerband.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
2/10/11 1:28 p.m.

And the ix specific parts are expensive.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
2/10/11 1:51 p.m.

IX's also have a taller ride height with that awful, saggy ass tail down look.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
2/10/11 2:02 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: In reply to mad_machine: In addition to the shock towers, the entire front suspension is different- control arms, struts, etc. The oil pan is different and unique to the IX for those model years to accommodate the front differential and drive shafts. Euro-spec e36 525ix oil pans will fit. Good luck finding one. The transmission has a different case to accommodate the transfer case that bolts on the back. The internals of the manual transmission are supposed to be identical. Edit: Also, the front sub-frame is aluminum and also has different mount points. Automatic transmission models have some difference in the transmissions themselves, I forget what it is. There might also be a difference in the ECU. Final drive ratios were different as well, if I recall correctly.

e36 5 series huh?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/10/11 2:19 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: e36 5 series huh?

e34 5 series...they built an all wheel drive 525ix, but it was sold in europe only.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/11 2:24 p.m.

ok.. my thoughts to annoy the purists came from the e30 Truck I posted up on the commuter car thread.

I had thought of picking up a sorry looking, but more or less sold ix, lopping off the trunklid, rear windows, and part of the roof to make a pickup.. and then make into sort of a Bavarian Brat

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/10/11 3:52 p.m.

I'd love to have a 325iX touring...they'll be eligible for importing to the US in a couple more years, but the chances of finding a good one after all these years (plus having to buy and import it from europe) mean that's probably a pipe dream.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/10/11 4:03 p.m.

I want one.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/10/11 4:27 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I'd love to have a 325iX touring...they'll be eligible for importing to the US in a couple more years, but the chances of finding a good one after all these years (plus having to buy and import it from europe) mean that's probably a pipe dream.

Didn't the canucks get E30 Touring?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
2/10/11 4:29 p.m.

^They did.

I even know of an E30 Touring for sale here in the states. Even has Genuine 16" Alpinas.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
2/10/11 5:13 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Don't know bodies, I do know i/is/e wheels don't fit the ix. Caliper diameters.

The brakes are identical, but the wheel offsets are different.

fastbmw
fastbmw New Reader
2/10/11 6:13 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^They did. I even know of an E30 Touring for sale here in the states. Even has Genuine 16" Alpinas.

Us Canucks did not originally get the e30 touring, but do to our import laws, we are allowed to import basically any vehicle into the country that is over 15 years old. We've had an e30 touring the first year it became eligable ('89 touring imported in 2004). The e30 touring is pretty much awesome.

fastbmw
fastbmw New Reader
2/10/11 6:15 p.m.

This is our, though we ditched the 17" kopis for some ASA Ar1's.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/10/11 11:03 p.m.
fastbmw wrote: This is our, though we ditched the 17" kopis for some ASA Ar1's.

Oh, that's fantastic! I even like the color. Funny thing, when the E30 came out, I was driving an E21. I was among the folks that said, "..it doesn't look like a BMW.." Nowdays, I want one, just to get another BMW into the house (I miss every single one I ever owned).

Can I blame Chris Bangle for this? (ducking, running away..)

Brett_Murphy
2/11/11 10:42 a.m.

In reply to grimmelshanks:

Everyone makes typos and gets brain cramps, shoot me

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eFCCGoZD7P6KxTTkBEGzdP0Tp8PSspQPg4R2O20uOa0Kg5cHKVySwWCDIZ4r06Ey