1 2
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
5/11/24 11:40 a.m.

I would be real tempted to roll the dice on one of those chinesium integrated double din LCDs.  I dig the retro look as much as anyone but on a daily I want my Android Auto.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/11/24 12:24 p.m.

Assuming we're still talking about the original poster (this thread was apparently bumped by a canoe artist) he said his car uses a 1.5 DIN radio, so a double DIN isn't going to work for him.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/11/24 12:55 p.m.

I don't think there is such a thing as an aftermarket 1.5DIN anymore. Also as noted that the OP is now a few years old and has probably solved the problem (if they even have the same car).

However there has been a growing assortment of "floating tablet" head units that use a single DIN slot and then have a big goofy touchscreen hanging out. I think they look bad in 95% of applications, but if you need CarPlay/Android Auto and don't have a double DIN opening, this is your option...

pointofdeparture
5/11/24 12:58 p.m.

What is more interesting to me is the growing availability of true single DIN units (aside from Porsche's grossly expensive option). You are always taking a chance with these Chinesium units unfortunately. I would love to see a Sony/Kenwood/etc with a layout like this...

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
5/11/24 1:33 p.m.

Even though this was canoed, this post is relevant to my adventures this week, as I just installed a vintage 1.5 DIN Pioneer deh-45dh in my Dajiban a couple days ago.  I was looking for a deh-77DH, but I couldn't pass up the deal on this lower spec head unit.  It has the cool Redwood era look I wanted. 

(Ignore the reflections- I even parked under the trees for this photo, but I polished the faceplate and it's impossible to get a photo without reflections except at night now)

As for the OP, his car has (had?) an odd 1.8 DIN size, but will accept a double DIN with minor mods that would still allow the reinstall of the original radio later if desired. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/13/24 9:05 a.m.

Hey, I remember this thread and, yes, that 1.5 DIN Pioneer has the right look. Bonus points for the Super Tuner logo. 

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/24 9:14 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

I didn't know these were a thing beyond Porsche's version. I may have to roll the dice on one for my audi

David S. Wallens
5/13/24 9:16 a.m.

The Porsche GPS head unit is way cool–seems like something right out of Q Branch. (Work with me here.)

I have one in the 911. My issue, and this might be personal: The map sits too close and too low in the car for me to easily read it. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/13/24 10:42 a.m.

I posted about the Continental/VDO early in this thread and that it didn't really work out for me. Since then, I've put a Clarion M508 in an E30, and it sounds and works great. I'm a fan of the unit, but the screen is BRIGHT. If you hold the volume knob down it turns the screen off, but it comes back on any time you make a change, including volume. So there's a workaround at least, and it's good enough that I'll probably buy another one for my other E30. 

pointofdeparture
5/13/24 11:33 a.m.

I have heard that the Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 has become better after a series of firmware updates, but is still grossly overpriced from a features and quality perspective (someone in China owns them now and it shows). That said, it does have the look and it has adjustable backlighting color.

Laserface
Laserface New Reader
5/13/24 7:46 p.m.

I love my Clarion M508, it just looks right. I'll echo the brightness complaint though. Its bright enough to interfere with my night driving. It lived in my 91 850i for a while, and its in my 95 F250 now.

Supposedly you can change out the LEDs for something less offensive, but it requires desoldering and resoldering on the circuit board. I don't trust myself with that.

David S. Wallens
5/14/24 9:21 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

I have heard that the Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 has become better after a series of firmware updates, but is still grossly overpriced from a features and quality perspective (someone in China owns them now and it shows). That said, it does have the look and it has adjustable backlighting color.

That does look pretty perfect in there. Didn’t realize that the name had basically been sold off. Still, that little blue dot does look the part....

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
5/14/24 3:55 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

What is more interesting to me is the growing availability of true single DIN units (aside from Porsche's grossly expensive option). You are always taking a chance with these Chinesium units unfortunately. I would love to see a Sony/Kenwood/etc with a layout like this...

I actually put this in my 1996 Elise, because of the look. It died in about a year. Locked in the boot screen. The touch screen was iffy at best, and it didn't show file info when bluetooth streaming. Also didn't dim. It was only like $40 though. That seems to be some sort of mod/homebrew though, because mine definitely did not do Android Auto. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/14/24 4:25 p.m.

McIntosh had a car stereo for a while that looked retro, although it was very expensive when new.  A friend had one in his BMW e28 M5 and it sounded pretty incredible.

From what I've read they also had some systems that were factory equipment in some Subarus and Jeep Grand Wagoneers, so those cars may be a source for finding a used one.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/14/24 4:48 p.m.

This is my latest effort for unobtrusive looks. Half DIN ish equalizer in a single DIN storage cubby, driving a compact 50w/channel amp under the console. Gives me aux in and Bluetooth, which is all I really need these days. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/16/24 9:04 a.m.
gearheadE30 said:

This is my latest effort for unobtrusive looks. Half DIN ish equalizer in a single DIN storage cubby, driving a compact 50w/channel amp under the console. Gives me aux in and Bluetooth, which is all I really need these days. 

That looks good.

This thread is relevant to my interest as I'm looking to put something in my S2000s single din unit where one of those tablet things won't work. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/16/24 9:10 a.m.

Looking a crutchfield, there's still a decent amount of single dins out there that have a late 90s/early 2000s aesthetic. Not the 80s era but at least it's not something wild. 

I had a 1.5DIN unit in my Trans Am back in the mid-00s that had satnav, siriusxm, ipod compatibility, and I looped the parking brake cable so it could play DVDs too on the small screen it had. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/24 9:22 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
pointofdeparture said:

That does look pretty perfect in there. Didn’t realize that the name had basically been sold off. Still, that little blue dot does look the part....

It definitely looks the part, and it sounds OK as well. I have one in my X1/9, and it does the job pretty well without looking out of place like the previous head unit. Not exactly a hot bed of audiophilia, the X1/9, but to me it made a bit difference to the view from the driver's seat.

Cheap it ain't, and I can't figure out where to get updated firmware. Works well enough with my iPhone and that's really most of what I need.

David S. Wallens
5/16/24 9:43 a.m.

To be honest, I’m way less concerned with how it sounds. I can’t recall the last time I listed to any tunes in the Porsche. The engine note is plenty. :) 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/24 10:04 a.m.

This is what I put in my old 944 a few years back:

It's clearly a "modern" Blaupunkt, aka a cheap Chinese unit. As I recall, it was around $100. But it didn't look too flashy, and had the blue dot, so it did the job.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
5/16/24 10:25 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

To be honest, I’m way less concerned with how it sounds. I can’t recall the last time I listed to any tunes in the Porsche. The engine note is plenty. :)

+1. I've got a 90s-era Blaupunkt Las Vegas CDM147 in my 2002 - it's a little too modern an aesthetic, but it's what was available new when I bought the car - and a decent speaker setup, but I almost never turn it on. If the car's running, the dual Webers are going to be the dominant soundtrack in any case.

This thread reminds me that I have a couple of 80s aftermarket car stereos around here that I don't need. I should check them for function and put them in the classifieds.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/16/24 12:37 p.m.

There's a guy on facebook that is pretty good at rebuilding old apline and pioneer units to your specifications. I got off that platform a while ago but could probably be easily searchable. Especially if you're looking for something period correct. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cGZ7wyLO7bkvCbYoF1WLXQvBbLNQHYP8oBRs3RQvnYciua6TDaRyZYLzy2jMnUNo