1 2
Brotus7
Brotus7 New Reader
4/28/09 4:14 p.m.

Hi Guys, I'm graduating from college in 2 weeks and starting a new job in about a month. Right now I have an '87 MR2 that I use as my daily driver, but my upcoming commute is going to be 60 miles to work and back everyday. Twice a week I'll be doing an additional 60 miles on top of that to go to grad school at night.

I'm looking for something safe to drive on the highway in the event of an accident, but still gets good mileage. I already have my toy car, so it could be mundane and boring, but lets see what we can get out of this. 60 miles a day, and twice a week 120 miles a day commute. $10k firm limit. I'd like something quiet, comfortable, and safe. Cheaper parts are also good.

Cars I need to drive: Turbo Saab (late 900, early 9-3) Nissan Maxima (up to 2003?) Older diesel Benz (I'm pretty familiar with these, but its been a while since I've driven a 6cyl diesel benz) Thoughts? Other cars?

I figure that with my commute, I'll be depreciating the car pretty quickly and I'd like not to be sinking alot of money into it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/09 4:22 p.m.

For ten grand, you should be able to find a nice WRX. 24 mpg and dead reliable.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/28/09 4:25 p.m.

Where do you live?

RussellH
RussellH Reader
4/28/09 4:27 p.m.

Accord

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
4/28/09 4:41 p.m.

$10k? Three Civics and a two week vacation between graduation and your first day on the job. Enjoy!

Bryce

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/09 4:42 p.m.

10K? Man that's a lot to work with. Lots of fun stuff comes to mind... RX-8, WRX, SRT4, etc... But you already have a fun car.

Let me go out on a limb here. New Saturn Astra. 3-door/5-speed/base model. Why? Because these dealers are going psycho about losing franchises, closing up, no new models, etc in this crap for an economy. You can waltz in, give em $10K, and drive out with a US Federal Government backed warranty, and get a nice bonus on your taxes next year.

Back to my unemployed, cheapskate reality I'd spend $2K on a used P71 and drive it till the wheels fell off. Mileage would suck but people'd get out of your way.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
4/28/09 5:12 p.m.

Volkswagen TDI? I have seen some for under $10k. They get good mileage, but the only problem is any TDI specific parts are $$$$$$$. THey are pretty durable though so the expensive stuff rarely breaks.

Brotus7
Brotus7 New Reader
4/28/09 5:22 p.m.

$10k was my absolute limit. I'd like to keep it cheaper, 6-7k range but I'm willing to go higher if it seems worth it to me. I wouldn't have thought about the Saturn, I'll have to go drive one.

A buddy of mine suggested a circa 2000 Subaru 2.5RS. I've heard that those things have head gasket problems, what do you guys think? Also, transmission problems?

Oh, and I'm in CT, so I need the car for the winter since my MR2 is pretty immobile once the ground gets slick.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
4/28/09 5:23 p.m.

96 Impala SS. Sorry I couldn't help myself....still miss mine!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
4/28/09 6:18 p.m.

So, this needs to be an AWD or FWD car that gets decent mileage and doesn't mind upteen hundred miles put on it in a week?

I'd go for either a B16-swapped CRX, or a 20v-swapped Corolla FX. Or maybe just a stock Corolla FX-16.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/28/09 6:25 p.m.

Swift GTi.

Brotus7
Brotus7 New Reader
4/28/09 6:36 p.m.

It doesn't need to be FWD or AWD specifically, a RWD car with a limited slip would be fine in the snow for me. My MR2 has fat tires and an open diff.

I'm a VW convert, and even though those cars were fine on the highway, my GTI, and Scirocco were a little boomy inside. My GLI was quiet enough, but not too reliable.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
4/28/09 7:37 p.m.

I've been commuting nearly 100miles daily in the M3: I'd actually recommend looking for a clean E36 328is if you're looking for a fun daily driver. My requirements were: "quiet" (relatively), comfortable, fun, and cheap (it was under $5k). I've averaged 25mpg since I purchased it. Find something at the bottom of the depreciation curve that has a reputation for holding up to high mileage, and the cost of racking up the miles won't hurt nearly so much. Realistically, a Maxima or Altima would be a great option, and probably a little cheaper to keep up.

That said, my e36 has been pretty decent once I caught up on deferred maintenance.

I fully expect fuel prices to go up again, and always have my eye out for an integra or something similiar: reasonably quiet, fun to drive, last forever. That may be an option for you.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
4/28/09 8:07 p.m.

The JDM/ricer tax on the 2.5rs is way too much to be worth it, and yes, they do have headgasket problems.

Brotus7
Brotus7 New Reader
4/28/09 8:24 p.m.
njansenv wrote: I've been commuting nearly 100miles daily in the M3: I'd actually recommend looking for a clean E36 328is if you're looking for a fun daily driver. My requirements were: "quiet" (relatively), comfortable, fun, and cheap (it was under $5k). I've averaged 25mpg since I purchased it. Find something at the bottom of the depreciation curve that has a reputation for holding up to high mileage, and the cost of racking up the miles won't hurt nearly so much. Realistically, a Maxima or Altima would be a great option, and probably a little cheaper to keep up. That said, my e36 has been pretty decent once I caught up on deferred maintenance. I fully expect fuel prices to go up again, and always have my eye out for an integra or something similiar: reasonably quiet, fun to drive, last forever. That may be an option for you.

My brother recently bought a '94 325IS and I do like that car, but I was shocked at how expensive some of the parts are for it. I do fully understand the depreciation curve, but the fun part is to find a comfortable, reliable car that's there. I've been impressed with my MR2, its been dead reliable for the 20k I've put on it.

I'm still open to ideas, keep them coming.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/09 8:31 p.m.

96 Impala SS

02-03 WRX / WRX Wagon

SRT4

Mazdaspeed Protege

Or do the new Astra or Pontiac G5 thing. ;)

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/28/09 8:36 p.m.

Honestly, with the length of your commute, an appliance (Civic, Accord, Corolla, Camry, etc.) might be a good option. It might not be the most exciting thing, but it will hopefully be safe, reliable, quiet, have a comfortable ride, and get you to and from work with little drama. I have a 75 mile round-trip commute each day, and there's something to be said for a car that is relaxing (as opposed to inspiring) to drive. After a long day of work, sometimes you just don't want to put up with a sporty ride, louder than stock exhaust, etc.

My $0.02...

RussellH
RussellH Reader
4/29/09 10:25 a.m.
Brotus7 wrote:
njansenv wrote: I've been commuting nearly 100miles daily in the M3: I'd actually recommend looking for a clean E36 328is if you're looking for a fun daily driver. My requirements were: "quiet" (relatively), comfortable, fun, and cheap (it was under $5k). I've averaged 25mpg since I purchased it. Find something at the bottom of the depreciation curve that has a reputation for holding up to high mileage, and the cost of racking up the miles won't hurt nearly so much. Realistically, a Maxima or Altima would be a great option, and probably a little cheaper to keep up. That said, my e36 has been pretty decent once I caught up on deferred maintenance. I fully expect fuel prices to go up again, and always have my eye out for an integra or something similiar: reasonably quiet, fun to drive, last forever. That may be an option for you.
My brother recently bought a '94 325IS and I do like that car, but I was shocked at how expensive some of the parts are for it. I do fully understand the depreciation curve, but the fun part is to find a comfortable, reliable car that's there. I've been impressed with my MR2, its been dead reliable for the 20k I've put on it. I'm still open to ideas, keep them coming.

That's why I suggested a 2000+ Accord. Quiet, comfortable, safe, cheap to maintain, good on gas, good resale value if you change your mind later. An Integra might be good too but a bit more pricey.

Having said that I drive 110 miles a day, every day in my E36 328i. I get 29-30mpg consistently as long as I keep my right foot in check. This is doing 70-80mph on cruise control pretty much the whole way. But as you said parts are expensive and it eats rear tires like no tomorrow. I need to align it for fwy driving though. When I bought it I put almost $5-6k into it changing out every maintenance related part imaginable, suspension, bushings, clutch, radiator etc. Since then the maintenance has been oil changes and tires though.

mw
mw Reader
4/29/09 10:49 a.m.

My wife has a 98 4cyl camry. It is boring. It gets great mileage on the highway and is dead reliable. The 2.2 provides enough power for comfortable highway driving. Although the original starter did die on me at 260k the other day. It was the first time it let me down ever. I can't think of a more comfortable car for highway driving. If I'm going more than 45 minutes away on the highway, I will opt to drive it over my miata, swift gti, mazda MPV, etc. Since you have a fun mr2, I would look at something like this for you commuting.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/29/09 10:50 a.m.

I'd buy the newest, best condition Civic/Accord you can find.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
4/29/09 10:52 a.m.

HAha yet another thread to whore out my SAAB's!

I say get a 1996-98 SAAB 9000 great gas mileage on the highway (29-32)mpg, Turbo, huge amounts of cargo space, great seats for long trips, timing chain that doesn't have to be changed very 60k miles, runs on regular pump gas not premium, parts are fairly cheap and easy to get, extremely safe cars.

There, go buy one now!

Oh I forgot to mention that they're dead sexy and not plain vanilla.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
4/29/09 11:33 a.m.

Fully loaded 1990-1993 Celica GTS.

It's quiet. Sexy. Can hold a ridiculous amount of stuff. Gets easy 30s on the highway. Reliable as gravity. Parts are easy to find, and cheap. You can find them for PEANUTS these days, they're at the bottom of their curve, a very nice one won't run you much over $2k. Leather interior, auto climate control, decent handling if you want to make your commute fun, and one of the best stock stereos EVER, imo.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/29/09 12:35 p.m.
Nashco wrote: $10k? Three Civics and a two week vacation between graduation and your first day on the job. Enjoy! Bryce

Two drivers, one parts car, fruity drinks on the beach. Win.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
4/29/09 1:28 p.m.

What about a P5, Impreza wagon (non-WRX) or Focus ZTW? Once you have a wagon and see how much stuff they can hold you won't go back.

fastmiata
fastmiata New Reader
4/29/09 7:34 p.m.

We had two different Nissans for my wife. First an Altima SE that lasted 190k with NO major repairs or maintenance(it still had the stock clutch), Then a Maxima SE(20th Anniv Ed) that went for 103k again with no major repairs or maintenance. A new Altima V6 with 6spd would be very tempting if you wanted absolute reliability. Yeah, Hondas are a little more interesting but the entry price is much higher. YMMV

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lyEybNjbsFF4ho5FxWYtVQy0Z9mPg8y6KHIKVXHxNviYODB99EDnlBZZzX04ranF