1 2 3
Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/2/13 3:26 p.m.

I have had five Miatas. I do not want another Miata at the moment.

Now that I have that out of the way, my usual interesting pocket money car budget has a big big surplus at the moment. Instead of my usual Craigslist search from $300-$1800, I can stretch all the way to $7,000 right now. And I am mondo car bored right now.

I am looking for something interesting, self-DIYable (although occasionally the wrenches in my mind turn far more easily than the wrenches in my hands), that won't rust away when I drive it in the winter, with TORQUE.

I had thought about an S2000, since, again, I have had my fill of Miatas. But I like rumbly romping torquey power. I'm not interested in a high-RPM screamer HP car.

I am not picky about manual, automatic, fwd, rwd, convertible, hard top, number of doors... I want something that makes me smile to drive it, makes me smile to look at it, makes me smile when I polish it, and has parts I can buy and install to play with and tweak.

You regulars know a whole bunch of the cars I've been through in the last 6 or 8 years. I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I just don't know what to do. I have E36 M3 credit so financing anything above that 7k is out of the question.

My current small (for me) fleet is just three: '09 MINI Cooper S, '90 Mercedes 560SEL, '87 Mercedes 300E. And a '91 K75RT.

The other day, I went to look at a '96 Jaguar XJR that ended up a total pile of crap. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a '91 500SL until I found the top wasn't working. I looked at an automatic LT1 Corvette that I made on offer on but the guy wouldn't budge and I thought he was a bit high on his asking price. I looked at a 5.0 5 speed IROC Z28 that ended up full of rust holes, so I passed on that, too.

There's nothing good on Craigslist right now, at least, nothing capturing my attention. This seems to be kind of a dead zone. Plenty availble if I could stretch to 10 grand but I can't.

So, what do I want?

lnlds
lnlds Reader
1/2/13 3:29 p.m.

Do you have anything against e36 m3s?

Might take some time to find a good one in your price range though, but it seems to fit the bill

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/2/13 3:31 p.m.

I have nothing against them. In fact there is a GORGEOUS Technoviolet E36/4/5 for sale locally. I have had M3s, too. I don't want this to be a yeah-but thread for every suggestion. :) So, yes, I like E36 M3s!

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/2/13 3:39 p.m.

$7000 will buy you a super crappy S2000 or a nice 6-speed manual LT1 C4 'vette. I would go for the C4. ;-)

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/2/13 3:43 p.m.

Where can I find a nice 6 speed C4 for 7,000? I have been relentless in my combing of the webernets for local Corvettes. Even winter pricing has LT1 cars over 10k.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/2/13 3:47 p.m.

Huh, maybe you're right.

But I did find this:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3500843077.html#.UOSqqnfT16Y

Seems like a fun drivetrain source.

kurk9
kurk9 New Reader
1/2/13 3:48 p.m.

Jeep Wrangler may be, good platform to build on, lots of parts to make it unique.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/2/13 4:02 p.m.

TR6?

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/2/13 4:11 p.m.

C4 was my immediate thought, but also maybe an MR2 Turbo.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/13 4:11 p.m.

owner said: I'm asking $4750, but am open to offers. The car is located in West Chester, PA (about 45 minutes south east of Philadelphia - near the Delaware/PA border)

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/203451-1988-milano-verde.html

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/13 4:16 p.m.

Yeah, a 164S Alfa or a Saab Turbo might fit the bill.

How about a Cummins Dodge, they have some torque! They are the anti-Miata right?

Jerry
Jerry New Reader
1/2/13 4:20 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: C4 was my immediate thought, but also maybe an MR2 Turbo.

Someone said MR2? Given my druthers, I would love to find a super nice condition 1989 supercharged MR2 for a daily driver. Maybe a turbo mid 90's otherwise.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/13 4:25 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/203451-1988-milano-verde.html

So awesome. I need an Alfa someday.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/2/13 4:33 p.m.

There are only two MR2 turbos for sale locally that I have seen. One 7900 and one over 10k. There's a V6-camry swapped one but over 5k and I am just not sure I want to go that high for a swapped car.

Oh, I had a GTV6 and was meh about it. The TR6 won't survive driving through the winter.

I have thought about a diesel truck, or there's a high mileage TDI 5-speed Beetle for sale but over 5k.

Some of these cars... I just can't see spending 5k on a Volkswagen that has over 190k on it. You know?

I guess I am hard to please, and I guess it's turned into a yeah-but. At least I know there isn't much I haven't already thought of.

There's a couple of 560SEC coupes for sale that intrigue me, because I do love my S-class sedan. Also an SLK230 Kompressor... I'm looking for a 5k-ish 3000GT VR4, 300ZX TT. I have found a couple of each over my cap and that's it.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/2/13 4:43 p.m.

If you like big sedans, you can get an early 2000 or so BMW 5 or 7 series sedan, or something like a Q45. I owned a Q many years ago and it was fun car, especially when you were obliterating the Honda fanbois of the day.

I dated a girl with a SLK230 once, but was not a fan. It had a huge issue with the top, where it would stop between up and down and have to go to the dealer for repair. Electrical issues were it's forte, and it had many, many, many. At least it was under warranty at the time. It was also a bit borning to drive, but springs and shocks would have done wonders.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/2/13 4:56 p.m.

I have noticed I have interesting prejudices, too. For instance, I am totally considering an automatic Corvette or Z28, but wouldn't consider an automatic Mustang, despite having had and loved a P71. Huh.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
1/2/13 5:54 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/203451-1988-milano-verde.html
So awesome. I need an Alfa someday.

If you wanted one that would be a good one to get. The questions that need asking that aren't mentioned in the ad would include making sure all the windows work, if the shifter is in good shape (same with the clutch), and if the heater blower works. Other than that, if the cooling system and radiator are in good shape (still available but not cheap), it looks like a very good deal actually. The euro headlights help make that one worth it, they are quite expensive and the US spec ones are horrible, that's actually part of why I sold mine.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
1/2/13 5:55 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: I have thought about a diesel truck, or there's a high mileage TDI 5-speed Beetle for sale but over 5k.

If its in good shape its probably worth more like $4500, they actually aren't bad cars if they haven't been abused too bad.

Interactive
Interactive New Reader
1/2/13 6:21 p.m.

Bugeye WRX really fun in the winter and on dirt roads. Should be able to find one in the price range. As along as you can find one that hasn't been modded you good on longevity.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
1/2/13 6:30 p.m.

Caprice/Roadmaster. $7k should get you into a clean LT1 wagon, gobs of torque, lots of aftermarket, only thing you'll hunt for is wheels as for whatever reason they don't share lug pattern with Corvette/F-body.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
1/2/13 6:36 p.m.

I'm going for quirky, since you seem to have already considered the obvious.

Interesting.....check!

Semi -DIY........check!

Rust resistance.....check!

Torque?.....check!

I'm referring specifically to the coupe. In this price range, a "M" might be tired, but you should be able to find a pretty nice 2.8. You might have to go out of town to find one.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/2/13 6:44 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Caprice/Roadmaster. $7k should get you into a clean LT1 wagon, gobs of torque, lots of aftermarket, only thing you'll hunt for is wheels as for whatever reason they don't share lug pattern with Corvette/F-body.

I have a couple sets of Impala SS rims I used on my old Roadmasters. I've had a bunch of them and I do adore them. Maybe I'm due for another LT1 Roadmaster. No vinyl awfulness on the roof on the new one, though. :)

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/2/13 6:47 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: I'm referring specifically to the coupe. In this price range, a "M" might be tired, but you should be able to find a pretty nice 2.8. You might have to go out of town to find one.

There's way too many "should be able to"s in this thread! I thought the same thing. I have seen high mileage S52 coupes for low teens. I saw a single 2.8 coupe for sale and it was over 10k. Searching within a decent radius, I find zero.

Maybe I should change from a "What Car" thread to "Find a Car" so we aren't talking in hypotheticals.

As for the Alfa, I don't necessarily think that almost 5k is too much for that car, but 5k is more than I am willing to spend on a car like that. Again, I didn't especially enjoy my GTV6.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/2/13 6:48 p.m.
Interactive wrote: Bugeye WRX really fun in the winter and on dirt roads. Should be able to find one in the price range. As along as you can find one that hasn't been modded you good on longevity.

I had one. Summer '01 I bought an '02 WRB 5spd wagon. That car is the third-longest ownership period I've ever had, at two and a half years. There is currently one for sale in my area within my price range; I have not made any move on it.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
1/2/13 6:57 p.m.

I have been shopping 99 up xjr's in that price range. Almost bought a 2001. Came really close in fact.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xQISZrfepegyuTvGV9KS9bSODglIb9CtQHULGZ5kII8CRzdEmEI3osyTL91o6DW2