wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
3/19/21 1:31 p.m.

This is for my 64 corvette. it is not a track rat and its just above a street cruiser. I have what is called the "sporting" alignment as tested by a number of member's on radial tires that work and that is what I am shooting for. 

So I understand how to set camber on the rear, not terrible just eccentric bolts. Toe is just shims, front is easy as well. 

But and the real question of this post is what order do I go in.  I would imagine just based on what I know of suspension design its

Rear Camber. 

Rear Toe. 

Front Camber 

Front Caster 

Front Toe. 

Does this make sense or and I doing it out of order.  Or and I am way way off.

Right now the front of the car has positive camber 2-3 degrees. The rear has a easy 3-4 degrees of negative and the toe is completely out in the front. IT goes down the street straight but man that must just be luck of the draw.  So anything I can do will make it better. I am mainly doing this so I can learn how it gets done and at least setup my cars decently at home so I can check things like interference with suspensions and the like before sending it out for a pro job. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/21 2:53 p.m.

On the front I usually do Caster and Camber at the same time.  You look at the numbers and add shims front or rear to get close, then fine-tune from there.

All of my cars are live-axle rear, but as far as the front is concerned, you are spot on.  Caster/camber, then toe.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/19/21 3:16 p.m.

^^^^^^^^^ This  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stressing that it is not a one shot deal, as the adjustments affect more than one parameter.

You have to sneak up on it, with all areas possibly being revisited.

So be prepared for a few re-adjustments, good time to refresh any bad hardware and a touch of lube on the bolts since your going to be on and off a few times. Prelube (soak) any hardware that hasn't moved in a while in advance.

Also be prepared to compromise somewhat, you may reach the end of factory adjustments.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ahAwkbGqFx04nFAIK3GyHHkxP8ZHqAVbAkcDDKm5qjO7R17AlN2dI3uqW8ltpl5J