1 2
Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/11/12 11:05 a.m.

This weekend at autocross I was looking around and saw all kinds of nice BMW's etc (was a BMW autocross) but I realized for me at least the small size and connection to the car you get from that nimbleness is a big part of what I enjoy. I think this is why my focus was fun and why I have always thought Mini Coopers were fun as well.

Obviously the elise also falls into this category but what other cars fall into the same category for driving feel?

And do any of those have AWD options :P?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/12 11:07 a.m.

CRX and various LBCs...closest you could get in AWD is probably a GC Impreza, and while they're relatively small they're still big compared to a Miata.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
9/11/12 11:08 a.m.

Mk1 MR2 - VERY similarly sized, just less power, more weight, inferior suspension, "better" polar moment of inertia, and waaaay cooler looking.

Mk3 MR2 - again same size, similar power, similar weight, arguably faster given the same level of prep, and styling is um, subjective. (I happen to like them quite a bit though)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/11/12 11:10 a.m.

323 GTX?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
9/11/12 11:11 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: CRX and various LBCs...closest you could get in AWD is probably an Impulse RS, and they're quite small.

Fixed that for you.

Alternatively, AllTracs feel smaller than GCs to me.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
9/11/12 11:12 a.m.

Dare I say FRS?

I understand why this car will not fit the requirements for 95% of the car buying public. It was never meant to.

What I don't understand is why any motor-head is not lined up for a free test drive to see what all the fuss is about?

As to solo car? I cant tell if it would be good or not. Tail happy for sure. Stock tires are entertaining only in that they are willing to let go at any provocation.

Sizewise, not a whole lot bigger than the MGB GT if you can believe it. Maybe a hair more than the Miata.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/12 11:17 a.m.

A 1st gen RX-7 (SA/FB, 79-85) is so similar in size to a Miata that they share some parts.

Porsche 944 definitely has that feel, though it is a little bigger (hips and length). A 914 is smaller feeling (and possibly smaller than) a Miata and provides even better feel. I haven't driven a 924 in the last 10 years, so I can't remember what that felt like.

Elise had it in spades over the Miata. Never driven an MR-S, but I hear they are very similar. A Z3/Z4 is surprisingly small and connected.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/12 11:18 a.m.

Ah the 323 GTX (good luck finding one) and Impulse RS are good small AWD options.

Sorry the FRS isn't in the same league.

Note also that the Miata is closer to the camera.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/12 11:26 a.m.

Fiat's (X-1/9's, 128's, Spiders, 850, Yugo's)

Alfa's (especially the ones with the rear transaxle)

Mitsu/Dodge/Plymouth Colt (especially with the turbo 4G-related motor)

Del Sol, S2000 as well.

Porsche 924, manual steering, rear mounted gearbox, low powered motor (Achilles heel), narrow body, lots of VW/Audi/Porsche parts bin upgrades, hatchback convenience. Lightweight, needs more motor (Audi 20-valve swap is possible to get to 170hp N/A)

Porsche 924S same as above except it is a 944 in a slinky dress. It has a better motor, power steering, heavier, better brakes w/Porsche bolt pattern out of box.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
9/11/12 11:26 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Sorry the FRS isn't in the same league.

Maybe not to an NA, but it is pretty damn close to a NC. There was an overlay being passed around here that showed just how similar they were in dimensions.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/11/12 11:35 a.m.

How did i forget MR-S? That's my vote.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/11/12 11:36 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Porsche 944 definitely has that feel, though it is a little bigger (hips and length). A 914 is smaller feeling (and possibly smaller than) a Miata and provides even better feel. I haven't driven a 924 in the last 10 years, so I can't remember what that felt like.

The regular 924 (especially the smoggy US version) is a little slow even compared to the Miata.

I'm still hoping to find a decent 924S at some point - same power as the 944 (or at least they can be made to produce that sort of power) but the shell is a little lighter and more aerodynamic.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/12 11:40 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

I think they only 924 I've driven was a turbo, but yeah, definitely leaning towards 924S in these comparos, not the early model.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/12 11:41 a.m.

My neighbor has a pristine RX-7...they are really small! (And I have a MK1 MR2.)

I may be crazy here, but the original Fox Body Mustang Notchback of like 1980 is pretty small and light in comparison to the modern GT500.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/12 11:43 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Javelin wrote: Porsche 944 definitely has that feel, though it is a little bigger (hips and length). A 914 is smaller feeling (and possibly smaller than) a Miata and provides even better feel. I haven't driven a 924 in the last 10 years, so I can't remember what that felt like.
The regular 924 (especially the smoggy US version) is a little slow even compared to the Miata. I'm still hoping to find a decent 924S at some point - same power as the 944 (or at least they can be made to produce that sort of power) but the shell is a little lighter and more aerodynamic.

Add a junkyard supercharger and enjoy some boost. The motors take well to boost (low CR and poor head flow), 924 N/A clutch supports up to 200hp before slipping, Audi box is fairly strong. Brakes suck, but can be upgraded to 944 bits or mix/match VW/Audi parts to get 4-wheel disc w/4-lug hubs. biggest issues are bad electrical grounds and gummed up CIS parts (because they stopped running and allowed to have the fuel varnish in them)

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/11/12 11:54 a.m.

The mk3 mr2 is the MRS correct?

Is the mk1 or mk3 pretty much the way to go over mk2?

Mind you I am pretty happy with the miata right now but at some point automotive ADD will kick in and these are the types of cars I would likely consider.

The BRZ impressed me at the autocross this weekend http://www.sdbmwcca.com/autocross/2012-09-09.html

Stock BRZ just past break in mileage, stock tires came in 39th to my NA stock miatas 69th

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
9/11/12 12:01 p.m.

Spitfire like a Miata but more fun.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/11/12 12:11 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: The mk3 mr2 is the MRS correct? Is the mk1 or mk3 pretty much the way to go over mk2?

Yeah, the MR-S is MK3.

As for which to pick... really depends on the goal for the car. The MK2 is probably going to be the outright fastest car in almost any condition. I tend to not use the term "budget supercar" lightly, but this is one of those places where i'll use it.

Honestly, the MK3 is better than the MK1 in every conceivable way. It's the lightest of the bunch by a fair margin.

If i wanted to go as fast as humanly possible, i'd rank them MK2, MK3, MK1 in that order.

If i wanted to have the most fun, that becomes subjective, but i'd honestly go MK3, MK2, MK1 in that case.

If i had to daily drive one, it'd be the MK2.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
9/11/12 12:17 p.m.

MK3 MR2's are very uncomfortable for me at 6'2".

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/11/12 12:20 p.m.

Didn't a mr2 with a v6 swap and a supercharger win some tuner car budget shootout thing?

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/11/12 12:21 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Didn't a mr2 with a v6 swap and a supercharger win some tuner car budget shootout thing?

Wasn't budget, but i think it was SCC's annual shootout. It was a supercharged 1mzfe (camry v6) swapped car. Think it was a 91 with brakes updated to 93 spec. (Also won the braking challenge.)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
9/11/12 12:21 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Didn't a mr2 with a v6 swap and a supercharger win some tuner car budget shootout thing?

Sports Compact Car's Ultimate Street Car Shootout.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
9/11/12 12:24 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Fiat's (X-1/9's, 128's, Spiders, 850, Yugo's)

These are all good suggestions (especially the Yugo)

Matt B
Matt B Dork
9/11/12 12:24 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Is the mk1 or mk3 pretty much the way to go over mk2?

Not really, the mk2 is just less "miata-sized" than the other two.

I pretty much agree with with what Halftrac said about the MR2 generations.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/12 12:30 p.m.

I've got a Miata and an e30. The e30 with lowering springs and good shocks feels very light and nimble with far more torque and a back seat. The only item where it feels clearly inferior to the Miata is the slow steering, but that can be easily addressed. Just saying.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FaZCPFXo1Byv1EosimRkhdqcY0nJs3mVPpgiQGs4vassvWCYEoY1F5F4HnTE18E5