Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
12/18/08 10:23 p.m.

In this day in age how many of you guys have found your old cars popping up again somewhere online? I've been through a couple cars, and bought and sold most of them online so its been neat to track the history of them.

1991 Nissan NX2000, found on SR20DE forum (when it was still good), Drove for 30k as my first car and sold when it needed a clutch, rear main seal, and had a different daily. The guy I sold it to bought it sight unseen showed up one night and drove it home. At some point it was broken into, got rustier and now its up for sale again.

1980 Mercury Zephyr, found on the side of the road and drove it home for $100 paid in $20s. Fixed it up, drove it and sold it the day I started college to a guy who flew out and drove it home. He rebuilt it with SN95 suspension and cobra brakes and sold it but kept the 200 I6 for an aussie head swap to power another car. Now its been repainted and is getting resto-modded.

1991 Mercury Grand Marquis, found local. Modded with mustang engine parts and police suspension parts. Sold on craigslist and referred the couple to a forum for the cars. Wound up with an 87' coupe and they bought that one from me about a year after I sold the first. 91' has become a parts car.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/19/08 12:49 a.m.

Black 1988 rx7 GTU --- Bought it from a guy in Toledo, and drove it until it puked an apex seal at 180-some thousand miles. The car sat for a couple years until it was sold to a guy in Cleveland.

Some time later I ran across a GTU in Virginia (or somewhere) on Ebay, and after thinking it looked familiar, I checked the VIN against an old insurance card. Yep, my old car. Except it was advertised with an s5 engine-swap, which after a little investigating, I found out had never taken place.

So, I got drunk and bought an Ebay Miata instead, which is now in Columbus... Although some of its parts will be coming back to me, some will be staying in Columbus, and who knows where the rest will end up.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
12/19/08 1:26 a.m.

After my 02 Ranger got totaled (because the frame was bent) I found it on eBay listed as "cosmetic damage only."

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/19/08 1:43 a.m.
Wowak wrote: After my 02 Ranger got totaled (because the frame was bent) I found it on eBay listed as "cosmetic damage only."

Technically, if your were laying under the truck looking at it, and not driving it, "cosmetic damage only" would be about right.

Maybe you're just too picky with your vehicles!!!

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/19/08 1:56 a.m.
Wowak wrote: After my 02 Ranger got totaled (because the frame was bent) I found it on eBay listed as "cosmetic damage only."

Maybe they saw it as a safety feature? Drive straight yet you can watch the scenery roll by without craning your neck.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
12/19/08 7:51 a.m.

After being sold in '01 to finance a new Subaru, my brother's fairly clean and stock '93 SE-R showed up online in another state in '03, Challenge priced, wearing a heap of body damage, hot cams, and a drag history. No word since...

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/19/08 3:32 p.m.

Not past but current. The Supra popped up for sale on E-Bay once, funny thing is I wasn't selling it, that was scary.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/19/08 3:45 p.m.

I've never found it, but I wish I could find my old 71 BGT.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/08 4:31 p.m.

the d0uche that bought Rusty the Miata (that had rockers full of Great Stuff expanding foam and Bondo, and was advertised as such by me) put it on autotrader about 3 weeks later, making all kinds of ridiculous statements about how much i had spent on custom wheels and tires and paint, and asking for four grand. the only thing he did was put on a new top, and remove all references to Great Stuff and Bondo.

i didn't buy it back.

before al gore invented the internet, my dad found the '41 Hupp Skylark that he sold when he shipped out for China with the USMC in '44, through the Hupp owners club. somewhere between '44 and '64, it went west from Camp Lejeune and wound up in the Harrah's collection in Reno NV. Dad wrote to Harrah's and they forwarded his letter to the guy who bought it from them when Marriott bought Harrah's and sold off most of the cars. this was probably 1988 or so, and the car was in San Francisco. i was going to buy it back but was still a struggling college puke, and Dad died before I graduated, so i never followed up on it.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
12/19/08 7:15 p.m.

Well, my '93 autocrosser was parted out and sold for scrap, as was my '93 Maxima (that was just more junked than parted out). My '97 coupe I sold to some kid, haven't heard from him or seen the car. I know where he lives, I should drive by and see if it's there.

I have seen a car that used to be my dad's a while ago, an '87 Jetta, this was about 7 or 8 years ago now, but even then the thing must've had upwards of 200K miles on it.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
12/20/08 4:32 a.m.

I sold my old AE86 to a kid on a local forum, who did some impressive bodywork to one side (I mean actually good, not bondo cakes & foam.) Then as these things go the project ground to a halt and he never finished the other side. After a couple years it went up for sale for a grand more than he got it off me for.

J

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
12/20/08 11:38 a.m.

I used to own a '61 Pontiac Bonneville convertible. I sold it about 12 years ago. The next owner had it for about 8 years, then put it up for sale in Hemmings. I just happened to buy a copy that month (I hadn't looked at Hemmings for months before that) and there it was. By the time I called him it was already sold to someone in Tennessee. A few years later I was browsing eBay and there it was again; that time it was sold to a guy on Long Island. I contacted the new owner and he had plans to do a frameoff restoration, which was nice to hear.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
12/20/08 2:30 p.m.

I built this and then sold it for $3600, that's what I would expect to buy it for. Saw it two months later on eBay for $7400. Don't know if he got it, but that's probably best, eh?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fbt1PvyCRKlwzOv9nV7iHSgJXo7UfC1D00YqdYaHS8CG2kug4qguiZJoXJQsVMh5