Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman New Reader
3/24/19 2:57 a.m.

So I'm sure that at least some of you have seen my build thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/mid-engine-homebuilt-supercar-gruppe-b-meets-group-5-meets-grassroots/151508/page1/

My request:

I'm looking to see what a 288 GTO would look like with 037 double-bubble roof panel, rear hatch and wing, with Stratos Le Mans front end grafted on...coffin spoke wheels complete the vision.

Here's what I got for photos:

rodknock
rodknock Reader
3/24/19 7:59 a.m.

Here's a profile view that I whipped up. I had to tweak a few things to get the proportions close so it's not a 100% cut and paste. Any of the perspective views will take a lot longer but hopefully this is enough to get you started. 

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman New Reader
3/24/19 1:56 p.m.

In reply to rodknock :

That is SICK!!! Bahahaha...I LOVE IT!!! 

Thanks a ton, man, that looks even better than it did in my head! 

CANNOT WAIT to see what else you whip up laugh

mke
mke Reader
3/24/19 2:51 p.m.

A 288 IS a 308 with a 4" frame stretch and flares.  There was a belief that short wheelbases were good and a lot of compromises were made to keep them short.....so the 308/288 passenger compartment is a bit odd because the wheel wells force the driver/passenger feet toward the center, so you sit twisted.  

You can see how the a-arm mounts are in front of the pedal box and the tire alongside the box.  Then the windshield sits over the boxes...it works, they sold but you back gets a bit sore after an hour or so and I'm not sure how it would look if you tried to say pull the front wheels forward to straighten out the seating......but I've thought about flipping the a-arms side to side which would move the front wheels forward 5 or 6" to find out.   Just something to maybe keep in mind if the plan is to use this layout as the basis for your custom project.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
3/25/19 5:38 a.m.

Did the Testarossa have that same pedal box?  It sure felt like it, with a little more sill to slide over.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
3/25/19 7:18 a.m.

I Love this Disecting of cars, Where Why And How.  Last Nite Looking At The C4 then Looking at The Fiero then Back ......And again, 

I Think the Sawzall Was Vibrating,  Someone kept Saying CUT HERE, but I am alone In the Shop , I Think.

mke
mke Reader
3/25/19 7:36 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

The TR front wheels are about 6"? forward relative the the passenger compartment and its just roomier in every direction compared to the 308.  Still not great but much better and why they considered it a GT....but you can't make a TR look as nice as a 288 I don't think, the proportions are just not right.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
40XjZfl1M7bP5pzNLwTllzSdBmnx3dUfXKM6QEwlojcmdqGNi1ImGKyiAl5ae99o