1 2 3 ... 5
HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/5/10 4:36 p.m.

Late 80's/early 90's Porsches seem to have hit a really nice pricepoint.

I've had some spare time in the office lately, so I've been day dreaming: which Porsche is best?

Basically, I see the 944 vs the 928 vs the 911. Depending on which models you look at (in this case, the later 944 turbo s, the 928 S4 variant, or a 91-ish Carrera) they all come in pretty close to the same price point.

So GRM, which is better? I'd really like to pick one up next year once my student debt is finished being paid off. It would be used as a track toy and weekend cruiser.

Let the fighting begin!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/10 4:39 p.m.

Depends on how much folding you're willing to dump into the car. All of them aren't cheap to maintain, but the 944 is a lot cheaper maintenance-wise than the other two...

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/5/10 4:48 p.m.

Every air cooled engined 911 I've driven still feels like a VW. That totally ruins the Porsha experience for me so my vote goes for the 924/944.

I've driven them and they feel like real cars.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
8/5/10 4:56 p.m.

Boxster S used with spec bits attached.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
8/5/10 5:03 p.m.

For a track rat, I'd lean toward a 924s/944 - mostly cause if I balled it up, they're cheap enough to walk away from. For a weekend/fun car/driver the 911 (only I'd go either 87-89 or 94-97 - then again, I guess that's why 90-93 is cheaper). My wife would go for a 928 over them all - I wouldn't mind one for a DD.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/10 5:04 p.m.

a 944 Turbo with the boost turned up a bit, will show it;s water cooled rump to almost any 911.

Unfortunately, 951s (944 turbo) need as much maintenance as a 911 and it is just as expensive.. for a car that ultimately worth less

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
8/5/10 5:07 p.m.

For a tad more than a 951, you could probably find a nice 968. I believe they only as came as soft tops, but the engine is a real gem.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/10 5:16 p.m.
Drewsifer wrote: For a tad more than a 951, you could probably find a nice 968. I believe they only as came as soft tops, but the engine is a real gem.

They did hardtop 968s, too. But you're right, the 3.0-liter engine is sweet.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/10 5:27 p.m.

Why be stuck with the uglyness that is a 968 when the 944 S2 has nearly the same motor?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/10 5:50 p.m.

As a 911 owner, if I were in the market for a track day Porsche, I'd go for a 944 or 924S.

Cheap Boxsters are becoming very tempting, as long as you have the stomach to handle the possibility of a $udden engine failure.

I have a Miata for the track. If you really need the Porsche experience, you can bring a Miata to the Porsche shop for an alignment and they will be happy to charge you $300.

I won't do that again.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
8/5/10 5:56 p.m.

I've been watching the 911 prices for some time now...I only hope they don't go up on me just before I jump in! I'd LOVE a clean 911 on Fuchs.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/5/10 6:14 p.m.

P71 wrote:

Why be stuck with the uglyness that is a 968 when the 944 S2 has nearly the same motor?

Ok, hold the friekin' phone for a second! We are talkin' this:

Versus this:

Also, everyone is way too focused on the track day thing. I never said track rat, and I'm pretty sure I said weekend cruiser. Does that change anything? I mean, I love 944's, they're cool cars, but less focus on the whole track thing!

As for the Boxster, while they may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, IMO they are worse than Corvettes; mostly gold chainers or people in a midlife crisis. Thats a big ol' pass

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
8/5/10 6:25 p.m.

I think you just answered your own question - at least 911 vs 944 and boxster. So where's the 928 sit with ya? FWIW I went 911 - but that's just me and what I bought.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/5/10 6:32 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I think you just answered your own question - at least 911 vs 944 and boxster. So where's the 928 sit with ya? FWIW I went 911 - but that's just me and what I bought.

Actually, what I meant is that the 944 is subtle. It is by no means an ugly car (sexy in the subtle way) but the 911 screams Porsche. Its different strokes and I don't know which one suits me.

The 928 is like the 944, but more ugly (which is oddly attractive to me, due to my weird liking of "different" looking cars). Whenever I see a rear profile shot, only one thing comes to mind "I like big butts and I just can't lie"

Of course, that V8 just howls, and that is worth something.

David S. Wallens
8/5/10 6:50 p.m.

I was thinking about this while mowing the lawn this evening. (Is that dedication or what?)

Honestly, you need to go do some driving, as these cars are more than numbers. I love my 911--it drives great, looks like a million bucks, and perfectly mixes old and new. It also has one of the best records in motorsports. It's just an icon in our world, and I realize that it's hard to put into words. In reality, though, a new Accord can smoke it from a stoplight.

Several years ago I drove a 944 back from Vegas, and it was a different experience--not better, not worse, just different. Again, a 944 isn't the fastest thing out there, but it's a neat machine.

What's your approximate budget? Will this be your only car? Any plans to go on track? Do you prefer an open or closed car? Is there a Porsche model that just takes your breath away? Somewhere out there is the right one for you.

Hotlinked because I can:

David S. Wallens
8/5/10 6:59 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: P71 wrote: Why be stuck with the uglyness that is a 968 when the 944 S2 has nearly the same motor? Ok, hold the friekin' phone for a second! We are talkin' this: Versus this:

No, no, no, the greenish car is a 964--the 1984-'94 911. (No, tentacles. N-T. There's a big difference.)

The 968 is the final variant of the 924/944:

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/5/10 7:05 p.m.

if it were my money I would get the 5.4 liter 928 GTS, but make sure you get THE BEST ONE YOU CAN FIND. and if it doesn't have maintenance records, run away.

Also, a grey market Euro-only 968 Turbo would be a hoot and a half. They were rated at just over 300 horse, and a turbo 3.0 liter four cylinder makes me happy...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/5/10 7:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: What's your approximate budget? Will this be your only car? Any plans to go on track? Do you prefer an open or closed car? Is there a Porsche model that just takes your breath away? Somewhere out there is the right one for you.

Budget would end up being ~$20K cdn. These cars are a tad more expensive up here then down south. Of course, importing one is quite easy as we've brought cars up before.

The car has to be a hardtop/fixed roof. No t-tops (or whatever Porsche calls them, "targas") or convertibles.

The car will see time attacks/track days (for fun). I have PLENTY of other cars to daily drive, even right now

The 944 turbo gets me going power-wise, especially with the boost turned up. Its a good looking car. And power tends to trump all with me

The 911's give me wood. Of course, air cooled cars are only so fast. There is a '92 Carrera for $20k around here that is red. Dear lord, I'd do very bad things for it.

The 928 is a bit of a mystery... but I know how it sounds. While its looks are in the "good" department, the sound and thrust is like sex. Wait, did that come out wrong?

So I'm at a crossroads. This all started when a Porsche came up for sale in our neighbourhood, and my mother thought she'd buy it for me... little did she know it was $20k, not the $4k she was envisioning. This was when I realized deep down that I've always wanted a Porsche above a Corvette, and I thought it would be a good way to go once I was out of debt.

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
8/5/10 7:27 p.m.

Remember B'ville Tom? He was a Porsche master tech for 40 yrs, and had his own shop. What did he race? There was a reason for that.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/5/10 7:33 p.m.

The 964 is a fantastic cruising/twisties car that can eat up miles of highway at 27mpg. I've had mine 2 years and 16k miles now (4k in the last 7 weeks) - and its been bullet proof. Normal maintenance and one punctured oil cooler for $275. I just cranked out a 75 mile drive thru the Endless Mountains while my kid was at football practice (both of them 10 & 7 sit in the back... can't do that ina Boxster :) ) and I am smilin'. I do it almost every practice now... drop off, drive, pick up. Great seats, awesome flat six sounds, broad torque curve, huge top end kick in the pants... brakes like hitting a brick wall. All good stuff. A 944 is a fine car - its just not special. Every front engined, rear drive car behaves pretty much the same... I like different. So far it hasn't cost me anymore than my E30, M3 or wifes 325XiT - and way less than my truck to keep around.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/5/10 7:38 p.m.
zomby woof wrote: Remember B'ville Tom? He was a Porsche master tech for 40 yrs, and had his own shop. What did he race? There was a reason for that.

Oh don't worry Mike, there will be other small displacement turbocharged vehicles to be raced. This would be like "summer cruiser with occasional track day when the race car isn't running".

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/5/10 7:47 p.m.

964's are terrible. Maintenance sucks, parts are more expensive. If you are going to go with an aircooled 911, you need to get a pre 89.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/10 7:53 p.m.

of course parts are more expensive and maintenance sucks.. it is a newer more advanced car than the 911s that came before it.

Now.. which car would I want?

I would take either a 944S2 or a pre74 911. Both for different reasons.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
8/5/10 8:03 p.m.

Our 964 was an anvil , we beat the living crap out of it for 10 years, it needed a clutch and a valve adjustment.

The 997S that replaced it needed a Motor within 8 weeks of ownership.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
8/5/10 8:49 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: The 964 is a fantastic cruising/twisties car that can eat up miles of highway at 27mpg. I've had mine 2 years and 16k miles now (4k in the last 7 weeks) - and its been bullet proof. Normal maintenance and one punctured oil cooler for $275. I just cranked out a 75 mile drive thru the Endless Mountains while my kid was at football practice (both of them 10 & 7 sit in the back... can't do that ina Boxster :) ) and I am smilin'. I do it almost every practice now... drop off, drive, pick up. Great seats, awesome flat six sounds, broad torque curve, huge top end kick in the pants... brakes like hitting a brick wall. All good stuff. A 944 is a fine car - its just not special. Every front engined, rear drive car behaves pretty much the same... I like different. So far it hasn't cost me anymore than my E30, M3 or wifes 325XiT - and way less than my truck to keep around.

When ever I read posts like that...I get -that- much closer to just pulling the trigger. Beautiful car!

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
txmn9TP3tyfDEB8uVA1J8nSeniutG3BrweLoCN0Rm69z0VAxGu9tV0DMNHMZyQIM