captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/18 8:15 a.m.

Even though the last thing we need is another psuedo hypothetical challenge thread right now, I didn't want to pollute any existing ones with discussion about this potential idea, and for the record this isn't a class that I'd be looking to take part in.

But I'm hearing a good amount of feedback for people stating that they won't do a challenge build as they're a bit of a one (okay 2) trick pony and that they view them as a bit of crap boxes due to the contraints (that's kinda the idea, the challenge and fun of it of course).

So my idea to consider as a sub class to see if persons who would like to go BEYOND that would be that for each year that you consecutively compete that you get that year's budget as well. So in 2018, you have to be under $2018 by the rules, but if you want to fix up the body, do some paint work or put in monkey bars before October $2019, if you can do so and keep it under $4037, have at it. Come out in 2020 and have $6057 in it, but by 2022 you better have something fit for the UTTC. If you miss a year at the challenge, for whatever reason, you're back to ground zero, unless someone brings the vehicle down and campaigns it on your behalf. 

Just a thought that I hope doesn't muddy waters too much. 

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
9/22/18 8:59 p.m.

What is the UTTC?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/18 12:53 a.m.

UTTC = Ultimate Track Car Challenge

Main Linkage; basically a NASA-TT type event to find the fastest track-cars

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/23/18 7:31 a.m.

That’s like the Challenge for people that don’t like the main rule of the Challenge 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/23/18 7:35 a.m.

I parlayed for something like this once before, just raising the number by 1 grand.  It was shot down and for Good reason, They have also put an end to sub par cars that might be un safe. now some sort of Bonus for returning cars may be a worthwhile endevour. LIKE the cost of entry be folded back into the car for a returning year.  It's a challenge, there are loop holes To take like I have done.

I kinda had to buy a complete ed car, at 67 yo. I don't have access to a shop  and though I do know how, I just don't have the help or finances and Still, Though I will have to take another YEAR just to afford the trip, I may be DOWN, I'm damn sure not OUT.

I don't really know the rule book in the enduro series that Run,  but MY CAR,  can and will be used as Intended and once prepared for those races I THINK YOU CAN GET A PASS TO THE CHALLENGE. so It's 1 and done only if you let it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/23/18 7:46 a.m.

I founded The Aristocrats, the first sub-class of The Challenge.  It was followed by minivan, pickup and soon wagon.  

The sub-classes were intended to just be a side bet.  A battle within the battle.  

I think it should be stressed that the first testament of sub-class is no rule changes.  This way, the sub-classes are still competing for the overall they have just placed a self imposed possible handicap of maybe running a lux barge or tall vehicle, etc.  

In the year of the minivan, all sub class competitors had to provide pre-event proof that they will remain under the height/width rule.  Yes, this was extra scrutiny but only scrutiny of a rule already in place.  So, not rule change just a preemptive enforcement of an existing rule to all competitors who were likely to violate that rule.    

What has been proposed here is not a sub-class but a rule change.  This being a rule of budget cap.  Tread lightly, the challenge rules are a complex subject.  You will need to consider how this affects recoup over the years and more.  

There is currently a half budget class or $1k.  I have played in it.  Might you propose a rule change of $1k class, $2k class and $3k or $4k class?  Still a heavy topic.  

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/23/18 8:25 a.m.

That said with recoup I really could get under 1000.00 but have no desire. I LIKE Pretty paint, gauges and stuff that are unnessery in the challenge.

I am stoked seeing  shawnee creek's paint and thought I had a chance with my paint, but everyone needs to up there game on colors. Flat black/primer should cost points. the PLB is the only car/cars that get a pass there to me.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
9/23/18 9:13 a.m.

I've never participated but I thought the paint and such was counted in the budget because part of the scoring was based on appearance of the vehicle.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/23/18 9:24 a.m.

IT is included as a matter of fact, mine is and I am claiming about 200.00 in materials, no it is not free

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/18 9:41 a.m.
captdownshift said:

Even though the last thing we need is another psuedo hypothetical challenge thread right now, I didn't want to pollute any existing ones with discussion about this potential idea, and for the record this isn't a class that I'd be looking to take part in.

But I'm hearing a good amount of feedback for people stating that they won't do a challenge build as they're a bit of a one (okay 2) trick pony and that they view them as a bit of crap boxes due to the contraints (that's kinda the idea, the challenge and fun of it of course).

So my idea to consider as a sub class to see if persons who would like to go BEYOND that would be that for each year that you consecutively compete that you get that year's budget as well. So in 2018, you have to be under $2018 by the rules, but if you want to fix up the body, do some paint work or put in monkey bars before October $2019, if you can do so and keep it under $4037, have at it. Come out in 2020 and have $6057 in it, but by 2022 you better have something fit for the UTTC. If you miss a year at the challenge, for whatever reason, you're back to ground zero, unless someone brings the vehicle down and campaigns it on your behalf. 

Just a thought that I hope doesn't muddy waters too much. 

I know I've talked about it in the past some, but there is some bubbling interest in fielding a Challenge car for OneLap... heck, I've often felt the "GRM TriFecta" (since GRM started sponsoring OneLap in ~2011, irrc) is having one car that can do Challenge, UTCC, and OneLap.  I know other people have their own considerations on this topic.

With the right car, the main difference between Challenge and OneLap is a fresh set of rotors and pads, and probably a new set of OneLap branded tires.  UTCC would probably require a half-cage?  It's been a while since I read NASA's TT rules.  If you can get a car prepped for UTCC, you can probably get it to go do GridLife (i.e. more time attack).

I reckon we'll see part of this happen in the next 5 years or so.  I'd do it myself, but I'm out-of-sorts for attempting such a thing for the foreseeable future.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/23/18 1:58 p.m.

You may get away with a flashlight taped to your head in the challenge but not likely One Lap, HEY YOU LEFT OUT THE SKID PAD AT THE MITTY, A couple of the Challenge cars might go Street legal , but that is a goal set before Disassembly

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
9/23/18 2:36 p.m.
GTXVette said:

You may get away with a flashlight taped to your head in the challenge but not likely One Lap.

But, most people have to pay extra for steering headlights. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
636zRuAoUHSU7Lyjz2ZSt4BW4HQIXVXAPzYL8jFDPMODGqMRPIVrm4DBpxmG9A5A