1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/7/22 11:38 a.m.
feature_image

Why do these shows matter to the GRM audience? Because our kinds of cars are winding up on the national show field.

How’s that? Let’s look back at this past weekend’s festivities at The Amelia.

Radwood and Concours d’Lemons represented new additions to Saturday’s show field. Lemons, as usual, welcomed the usual mix of unicorns and clunkers–including a few …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
3/7/22 11:45 a.m.

And, hey, it's my bike in the lead shot. :)

Funny that the first people I saw after unloading were GRM forum regulars....

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/7/22 3:25 p.m.

It was nice talking with you this weekend.  The porsche looked awesome with the bike on the roof.

David S. Wallens
3/7/22 3:41 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you and great seeing you, too. So, you have fun with your stuff? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/22 3:52 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Was cool seeing you and your Porsche. Sorry we had to run off so fast after that purple frog. 

David S. Wallens
3/7/22 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

No prob at all. You all caught up? And Little Stampie is no longer so little. (I'm guessing you already know this.)

Stampie
3/7/22 6:57 p.m.

We did.  He was heading back to his car to cool off for a bit.  Yeah the sweet little 6 year old at 2015 Challenge isn't so little, sweet, or 6 year old.

David S. Wallens
3/7/22 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The other day I realized that the neighbor's kid is now big enough to kick my butt. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/7/22 9:17 p.m.

What a neat event.

David's trick bike was a show in itself.

Folks were saying over 100,000 spectators walked the two fairways on Saturday.  Well worth the 200 mile drive through the fog to get there by 6 am!

David S. Wallens
3/7/22 9:40 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

While on the field, a photographer came over to chat. He saw me stopped at the rest area in Flagler County. Turns out he drove up from somewhere near West Palm Beach that morning. 

Stampie
3/7/22 9:47 p.m.

We saw this on the way out towards Yulee. We were like hey we saw that at Amelia. 

David S. Wallens
3/7/22 9:50 p.m.

And thank you for the kind words about the bike. I had a vision for the build, and it eventually came together. Just remembered that I have a build thread on it. 

What makes this one extra special: My friend Chelsea did the heavy assembly on the build–like cutting down the fork steerer tube and then doing the setup. We had just recently met, so it was early in our friendship. And now she's an Olympian. (Sadly that means now living on the other side of the country.)

We had someone on FB complaining because it's a retro bike, not one truly built in 1984. I was upfront about that. 

I do have a legit 1983 bike, but I updated it as I rode it, so it's really more 1986 than 1983. And in BMX, that's a different era.

Most people seemed to dig the Skyway, and I enjoyed talking to people about it. Those who got it, got it. Plus I think the Skyway T/A is one of the most attractive BMX frames ever built. I still put that and the Haro Master at the top of the list. 

So, thanks again. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/7/22 10:57 p.m.

We thought this was the best sign in the Lemons section....

David S. Wallens
3/7/22 11:12 p.m.

I didn't get a chance to break it out, but I had a period-correct camera in the car, too. (That's my first "real" camera.)

wako29
wako29 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/8/22 1:04 a.m.

hey man, I'm the current product manager for Thule roof racks, a GRM reader (and mostly lurker), a massive cyclist, and a former BMX kid. Seeing this thing truly made my day. Really dig the vibes of this thing too, it's clear you use it as a car and actually enjoy it. Mad respect!!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/8/22 7:25 a.m.

Pure awesomeness David. Love what you have done with the 911 and all the accessory pieces. Looks great! I have an early 90s Mercedes that I am trying to do the same thing with. A little more difficult to do 90s stuff though. Looking forward to going to this event next year.

David S. Wallens
3/8/22 10:52 a.m.
wako29 said:

hey man, I'm the current product manager for Thule roof racks, a GRM reader (and mostly lurker), a massive cyclist, and a former BMX kid. Seeing this thing truly made my day. Really dig the vibes of this thing too, it's clear you use it as a car and actually enjoy it. Mad respect!!

Thank you for the kind words, and it was fun to put together. I had a question, so called Rack Attack, one of your dealers. They answered it right away, so they got the sale. Quick shipping, too. 

I do have a question for you, though: Any way to make the rack a bit quieter? Is one of those fairings the answer? 

Thanks!

David S. Wallens
3/8/22 10:54 a.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Pure awesomeness David. Love what you have done with the 911 and all the accessory pieces. Looks great! I have an early 90s Mercedes that I am trying to do the same thing with. A little more difficult to do 90s stuff though. Looking forward to going to this event next year.

Thank you. I was thinking how I'd do the Miata since it's a 1992. I have a bike rack that mounts to a trailer hitch, but I recently gave away the hitch. (I didn't think this through.) 

For early-'90s bike, though, I still have my Cyclecraft cruiser. I also have a Reynolds frame and fork actually raced by Craig Reynolds. Craig's also a car guy (hi, Craig) so maybe I'd build up that one. 

chgrec
chgrec GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/8/22 1:33 p.m.

It was nice to see GRM represented out there and even though I know some don't care for my entry in the d'lemons (including your publisher based on his reaction when he saw it in last year's event), it was nice to see my modified VW bus in the article peeking out behind the Doc Brown look alike....You just can't buy that kind of publicity! 

All kidding aside, thanks for all that GRM & CMS do in supporting events like these!

David S. Wallens
3/8/22 2:15 p.m.

In reply to chgrec :

Thanks for joining us out there. The weather was perfect, and looked like everyone came wearing a smile. 

Too soon to plan for the next one? 

Meporsche
Meporsche New Reader
3/8/22 4:18 p.m.

The Lemons were the best part of Saturday.  We went through twice.  Other side, not so much.  Skipped Sunday as we aren't "concours material".  We just like cars.  YMMV.

David S. Wallens
3/9/22 10:27 a.m.

And now Radwood joins Concours d'Lemons under the Hagerty umbrella. Info here.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
3/9/22 12:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And thank you for the kind words about the bike. I had a vision for the build, and it eventually came together. Just remembered that I have a build thread on it. 

Nice!

The Skyway T/A was another level above most of the other BMX bikes around. I only ever saw them in magazines.

Also love the Tuff Wheels. I put a purple 6 spoke set on a bike for my daughter when she was 9.

David S. Wallens
3/10/22 1:04 p.m.

In reply to RandolphCarter :

Thank you and totally with you on the T/A. As far as mags, let's say that's not my only set of Tuff Wheels.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/22 1:12 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

We thought this was the best sign in the Lemons section....

Unofficial forum motto, this should be.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f4CG29577XlZwoIadoKx5a74rKTaMsz2OBDMLtnE06nqJaVUiC4LKpolavV63iEu