1 2
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/20 11:06 a.m.

It's kind of long, but otherwise I'm a pro-wagon guy as well. We cross shopped against a Sonata recently and chose the Hyundai. A 6 wagon without a big price boost would have been a game changer.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/24/20 11:08 a.m.

WAGONS, WAGONS, WAGONS !!!

Unfortunately, there are far too many would've, could've, should'v's applied to that market. I'd love to have the Volvo, but won't spend my money on a Chinese owned company, that only leaves a couple options for new wagon purchase next year. Sad.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/24/20 11:10 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I think every car company out there has lost their way as far as stying goes......seems like one big ugly contest.

Munchen Fan
Munchen Fan GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/20 1:29 p.m.

We have sterotyped ourselves in the global market with the following characteristics, however we express our individual desires:

SUV's or trucks

Automatic, preferably CVT

Red, white, black, grey or silver

Automatic A/C, seats, locks, windows, ABS, control nannies for everything

And oh, make it electric with a 400 mile range, minimum. 

That's what we have coming to us, the shapes will vary slightly.

Automobiles for the 21st century.

Munchen Fan
Munchen Fan GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/20 1:29 p.m.

We have sterotyped ourselves in the global market with the following characteristics, however we express our individual desires:

SUV's or trucks

Automatic, preferably CVT

Red, white, black, grey or silver

Automatic A/C, seats, locks, windows, ABS, control nannies for everything

And oh, make it electric with a 400 mile range, minimum. 

That's what we have coming to us, the shapes will vary slightly.

Automobiles for the 21st century.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 11:03 p.m.

I'd love to have the Volvo, but won't spend my money on a Chinese owned company, that only leaves a couple options for new wagon purchase next year.

Now that you mention it, a sizable chunk of all wagons currently for sale only exist because of China. Never thought of that! 

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
9/25/20 10:29 a.m.

I saw a current generation Mazda6 wagon in person the last time I was in Japan, I would love to have them available in the states.

However I also have never bought a new car in my life. So I begrudge Mazda nothing for aiming there product line up at other peoples preferences.  

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/25/20 1:58 p.m.

Mazda has been trying to make an upmarket push. A few of the European manufacturers have started selling very premium priced wagons over here. It would be interesting to see if someone else could make the idea work, in the price range Mazda aspires to play in. Obviously, there are a bunch of "crossovers" which sell well and are just slightly lifted wagons, with some cheap looking plastic tacked on and a less attractive appearance. What if Mazda (or someone) could market a sleeker vehicle profile and "no ugly flat grey plastic" to create a near-premium vehicle segment? Fashion tends to be cyclical...

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/20 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

I would love to see wagons become the aspirational choice. As much as I hate aspirational car purchases, and pretty much the word "aspirational" as well, it would be awesome for, well, you know, cars that drive well and are suitably packaged to become the mark of clued-in competence.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/26/20 11:57 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

In reply to Snrub :

As much as I hate aspirational car purchases, and pretty much the word "aspirational" as well

Murica

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/20 7:05 a.m.

Unrelated to the Mazda6 except longroof...

I saw a new Jag XF Sportbrake in the flesh yesterday (while driving) and it was dead sexy. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/27/20 2:13 p.m.

Mazda 6 Wagon, yes please. Either that or make the CX-5 available with a third pedal again. I miss my manual CX-5..!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/27/20 2:47 p.m.

If they sold the 6 Wagon here in the states, I'd own one right now instead of the Kia I just bought. They are beautiful, and wagons rule. 

MattGent
MattGent Reader
9/28/20 8:00 a.m.

We are shopping for a Subaru Outback replacement.  CVT reliability, hubs, fuel mileage, creaks and rattles.  Don't want another Outback.  Do want to tow a small camper <2000lb.

There are no other wagon options available below the luxury class.  Many of the compact SUVs are basically wagons with higher roofs.  But most won't swallow a MTB, or the roof is high enough to make it difficult for my GF to load a paddleboard on the roof racks.

Wish Honda or Toyota made an Outback-equivalent.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
9/28/20 9:48 a.m.

I have a 6 speed manual Outback but would have probably bought a Mazda 6 wagon if it were available here. Granted the Outback worked out better as we do a fair bit of soft/off roading with it. Note my experience with the Outback has been good (100K miles)

Still think the 6 wagon looks great; I asked a Mazda guy and was told given all it would take to bring it here they simply wouldn't sell enough of them.............fair answer.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/28/20 10:35 a.m.
MattGent said:

We are shopping for a Subaru Outback replacement.  CVT reliability, hubs, fuel mileage, creaks and rattles.  Don't want another Outback.  Do want to tow a small camper <2000lb.

There are no other wagon options available below the luxury class.  Many of the compact SUVs are basically wagons with higher roofs.  But most won't swallow a MTB, or the roof is high enough to make it difficult for my GF to load a paddleboard on the roof racks.

Wish Honda or Toyota made an Outback-equivalent.

VW Golf SportWagon? The Ford Fusion Active is coming and looks pretty decent despite the cladding and slight lift.

Sounbwoy
Sounbwoy New Reader
10/6/20 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I've been begging for a wagon since the current 6 came out. Give me a wagon with the diesel and a 6-speed manual, or whatever ( I drive a Mazda 5 now and love it) and I would probably break my "avoid the first run" rule... David Tracy from Jalopnik did a review a couple years ago when he was in Europe and liked it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
10/7/20 7:30 a.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a 3 hatch and I would trade it in for the 6 wagon.  Would like the manual though which is unlikely in the US.

Ditto.  I have a 2018 3 hatch 6MT.  I'd sell it in a heartbeat for the 2.5 with a manual in a wagon.  The extra cargo room would be greatly appreciated.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6wqfgH5IszumC6cYrZbd08sjWYR5NZ2H5t4KOmCiYwKQ7F0TuOPP0bzC46lheVHM