Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
12/13/18 5:50 p.m.

$6,600 + 5% buyer fee.  Two guys really wanted it.  Powered by 5 hp Briggs.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/13/18 5:53 p.m.

Is there a vintage kart league?

Thats more expensive than most of the vehicles I've owned.

Will it be a museum piece?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
12/13/18 5:58 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

2 guys got into a nostalgia pissing contest

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/18 6:05 p.m.

Didn’t someone here just pick one of those up?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/18 7:08 p.m.

I've had one for years. Not nearly that nice though. Mine has a subaru motor on it. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/13/18 7:15 p.m.

Beautiful go kart.  I suspect the designers at Rupp back then got the inspiration for the design of their wheels from the 8 lug wheels that were optional on Pontiacs at the time.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/18 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Three guys really wanted it, but only two got into a pissing match.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/13/18 7:33 p.m.

I had one. 

I gave it away last year. For free. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/13/18 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

That one is a 1960 Trackmaster built for twin engines

But the manufacturer, model, and year make a huge difference in value.  Otherwise, it is just like someone seeing your Hemi 'Cuda and saying "I had one just like it", when in fact, they had a '72 Coronet sedan.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/13/18 9:55 p.m.
Cooter said:

But the manufacturer, model, and year make a huge difference in value.  Otherwise, it is just like someone seeing your Hemi 'Cuda and saying "I had one just like it", when in fact, they had a '72 Coronet sedan.

Agreed.  I think the Rupp is right near the top of collectible go carts.  I read some of the comments and someone mentioned they knew the buyer, it sounded like a pretty wealthy person so they could presumably afford it.  I've never been too critical of that sort of thing...the price may seem crazy to most of us, but it's their money and they can spend it how they want.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
12/14/18 9:19 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Not questioning buyer motivation...just didn't know old race karts were this collectible.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/18 10:02 a.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to Patrick :

That one is a 1960 Trackmaster built for twin engines

That photo is GRM approved.  Just needs a GRM sticker in the window.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/14/18 10:19 a.m.

The whole adventure was very GRM.   Went to Peoria to pick up wheels for a friend, searched FB Marketplace and CL when I was down there, and found the Trackmaster and loaded it up.   I even fit in a trip to HF to buy ratchet straps so I could haul it home.  I wish I had a GRM sticker on the SW2 for the photo, though.   It would have been the perfect photo.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/14/18 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Only some are.  Sometimes.  To the right buyer.   There were countless different carts and companies building them back in the 60s.  Even more in the '70s.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OnPhqBzubwWjm9vKt2cPWeHFbO3LLyKnX7BYnVbnMW5aBBMJw2i8oeu4L1BvmPrS