Luke
Luke SuperDork
5/8/10 7:42 a.m.

I saw one of these on the road today. A new Holden HDT limited-edition model, paying homage to the Group-A, homologation-special VK Commodore of the '80s. It's nicknamed the 'blue meanie', they've added a supercharger, and apparently cut down the NVH-dampening, so it shakes and rattles like the old car would at idle.

Anyway, I was quite impressed. I think it looks distinctive, but not corny.

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
5/8/10 8:10 a.m.

To me it looks like every other 4 dr sedan on the road.

That bottom one looks like a they grafted a Fairmont rear onto a Cavalier behind the front doors. Wacky aussie cars.

fifty
fifty Reader
5/8/10 8:17 a.m.

Wasn't that around the time when Peter Brock was messing around with magnets? I grew up in Bathurst and remember that era pretty well.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
5/8/10 8:28 a.m.

Terrible wheels, on both cars!

Joey

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/8/10 8:39 a.m.

I like them both. I would drive it!

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/8/10 11:28 a.m.

i like both. i love the old one. i also have a crush on cressidas and other boxy old man type cars.

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
5/8/10 1:09 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
zomby woof wrote: That bottom one looks like a they grafted a Fairmont rear onto a Cavalier behind the front doors. Wacky aussie cars.
and I thought it looked like a Chevy Celebrity with a Mustangish front end....

I can see that.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
5/9/10 11:22 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: Terrible wheels, on both cars! Joey

You're kidding , I hope. If the pictures showed the other side you would find that the weels are directional. They were designed to provide extra cooling to the brakes.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/9/10 12:06 p.m.
zomby woof wrote: To me it looks like ZOMG - BADASSERYFROMDOWNUNDER!!!

fixed

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
5/9/10 5:30 p.m.
Hal wrote:
joey48442 wrote: Terrible wheels, on both cars! Joey
You're kidding , I hope. If the pictures showed the other side you would find that the weels are directional. They were designed to provide extra cooling to the brakes.

Well they have them on backwards then. I think they are good looking wheels if they would put them on the car correctly

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/9/10 5:45 p.m.

seems to me they will pull in cold air from outside

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
5/9/10 11:30 p.m.

That hood scoop looks like something thrown on in the parking lot of a Pep Boys.

The old one was ugly, the new one shouldn't be trying to pay homage to it.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
5/12/10 4:35 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: seems to me they will pull in cold air from outside

That's the theory, but in practice you get better airflow gains through the wheel when they are arranged to pull the air into the turbulent low-pressure area already outside the wheel wells

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/10 6:10 p.m.

I love the looks of the VK. I spent a formative year in Australia when Peter Brock ruled the mountain with one. They're really attractive cars in person to my eyes. They have a fairly delicate glasshouse and straightforward lines.

But to me, it looks like the new car is more related to the Group A homologation VL with that hood. Sure, some people will hate the looks. But it was a legitimate car designed to put various aero parts into racing and thus kick some Ford ass.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/12/10 6:18 p.m.

Tom Walkinshaw special, they weren't so popular even when they came out except to a select few.

Of course Group A was an International class which nearly ruined Aussie Racing back in the day.

The Marlboro Commodore VH was a Group C car, much more awesome cars

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/10 6:55 p.m.

I have to admit I get the VH and VK confused very easily.

Although I did find this while searching for VK pictures to remind myself. And I think it's very cool. Now this is a swagger wagon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EL8j1pVV5mcWZeXFPsv2rAVZhJrWF9GXeMRv4fOqe4O2HQIMSCj4INzCdd7kEEdk