1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/31/12 12:08 p.m.

We just received word that Tom Hnatiw, one of our buddies in this crazy car world, passed away. I got to call a race with him. Even with a ton of distractions in the booth, he never missed a beat.

http://www.internalcombustiongroup.com/

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/31/12 12:13 p.m.

Please let his family know that the GRMers are have them in our thoughts

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/31/12 12:14 p.m.

So sad. Tom was a great guy. We always made sure we had Crown in the liquor cabinet when he visited, and Tim and I will raise a toast in his honor tonight. Our condolences to his wife and his boys.

Margie

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
7/31/12 12:20 p.m.

I always enjoyed watching the banter between Tom and Peter Klutt.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/31/12 12:23 p.m.

Extremely sad news. Tom was a friend, a force of nature with a overwhelming love for anything automotive. A true larger than life guy, always quick to make you smile, or think.

He blew my mind when we first met.....heck, he blew my mind every time I'd see him. Awesomely knowledgeable and enthusiastic car guy. He was truly one of a kind, and I'll miss him.

I'll incinerate tires in his honor tonight.....he'd like that.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/31/12 12:25 p.m.

Sorry to hear this. I don't drink brown liquor but will tip a brew in his honor.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/31/12 12:26 p.m.

Very sad. How did this happen? He wasn't very old, was he?

Matt B
Matt B Dork
7/31/12 12:27 p.m.

Yep. Very cool personality. He will be missed.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/12 12:29 p.m.

Sad, I only knew him from the TV but always liked his work.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/12 12:35 p.m.

Wow, that was unexpected. He had a great personality and love for autos and will be truly missed.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/12 12:56 p.m.

Wow, he was great guy. I'm very bummed out about this.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
7/31/12 1:02 p.m.

I first met Tom over 20 years ago, when he was a PR type for Firestone Canada. We were both on a committee organizing an autocross to be held in the streets of Hamilton,Ontario, right in front of Copps Coliseum. He was representing Firestone as a sponsor, and I was the organizing club's rep. Given where life eventually took him it's ironic that back then he barely knew anything about cars , or auto sport. But, he was enthusiastic about the whole event and subsequent street solo series that developed from it, and he stayed involved with the whole scene. That seed took hold, and the results of it we've all been witness to these past several years. RIP Tom.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
7/31/12 1:15 p.m.

RIP

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
7/31/12 1:20 p.m.

Very Sad. What an awesome guy. I hope that when I die people will say "Man, that motherberkeleyer did a lot of cool E36 M3 while he was around." Big check in that box for Tom. RIP.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/12 1:22 p.m.

I always felt that, along with the late Steve Evans and Brock Yates, he was one of the pioneers of modern car guy TV.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/31/12 1:23 p.m.

May his essence be recorded.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
7/31/12 2:10 p.m.

That's sad news. I've liked every TV show he was on, right back to that fix-it one with the chick. Also heard him announce a number of races-- always a pleasure.

I just wish I had learned to pronounce his last name...

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
7/31/12 2:34 p.m.

I loved watching him on TV. His enthusiasm was too real to be faked. He obviously loved what he did. When he test drove a fast car, it always put a big goofy grin on my face just by watching how much fun he was having. He'll be missed by the automotive community. I'm sure he was a great guy in his personal life and will be missed dearly by those that knew him best.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/31/12 3:02 p.m.

Tom was a very dear friend and taught me a lot about life and the TV business. I will miss his wild ways, his incredible voice and his crazy sense of humor.

As soon as anyone gets any details on funeral arrangements and cause of death, please let me know.

karlt_10
karlt_10 Reader
7/31/12 4:33 p.m.

RIP Tom

He was a great TV announcer, co-host, and also areally nice guy at a youth karting event in Marshalltown, Iowa, about 10 years ago.

GTB_ZR1
GTB_ZR1 New Reader
7/31/12 6:27 p.m.

Really bumming news...

I made a point to BS w/ him abt the TV show when I'd see him @ the 12 Hrs. He would always BS back w/ me and humor me w/ his responses.

RIP, Tom...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
7/31/12 6:41 p.m.

"You have to ask yourself . . . Do you need a car like this?"

RIP . . .

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
7/31/12 6:46 p.m.

He just spoke at our PCA social a few months ago and I had a nice conversation with him. A truly great guy with fantastic stories. I could listen to him for hours...

The car world has lost one of the best.

RIP Tom.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
7/31/12 7:20 p.m.

So sad. I remember watching him on dream car garage and hearing him at races. RIP Tom

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
7/31/12 7:51 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: That's sad news. I've liked every TV show he was on, right back to that fix-it one with the chick. Also heard him announce a number of races-- always a pleasure. I just wish I had learned to pronounce his last name...

"Natchew" I believe.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f2UpMFRSmD6ZBjjSrmNoklCLkmygMsMtD2avhCxmJihWokwPChK1lwplBj9eJ65Q