1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/11/15 8:38 a.m.

I just got a press release from Mazda covering the prices for the 2016 Mazda6. You can still get them with manual transmissions.

2016 Mazda6 MSRP*

Mazda6 i Sport MT: $21,495

Mazda6 i Sport AT: $22,995

Mazda6 i Touring MT: $23,945

Mazda6 i Touring AT: $24,995

Madza6 i Grand Touring AT: $30,195

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/11/15 8:42 a.m.

And here's the entire release:

IRVINE, Calif. (February 9, 2015) – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced pricing for its refreshed 2016 Mazda6 midsize sedan lineup. The 2016 Mazda6 is available in three trim levels – Sport, Touring and Grand Touring – and is equipped with the SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter gasoline engine. There are a number of enhancements for 2016 including bold changes to the shape of the instrument panel and floor console giving the interior a fresh new look. It fuses a driver-oriented cockpit design, based on Mazda’s unique Heads-up Cockpit concept, with a roomy front seat passenger environment. In addition, thorough attention was paid to minimizing gaps between parts and achieving an overall unified appearance, significantly enhancing the feeling of quality as befits the flagship model in the Mazda product lineup.

Refreshed exterior features include a new front grille and signature wing design. These combined with the new LED headlamps to create a bold and elegant expression that leaves a distinct impression of the evolution of the brand. Detailed refinements to dynamic performance include improved sound insulation throughout the body and improved front and rear seat performance. These enhancements yield a quieter and more comfortable riding experience.

2016 Mazda6 MSRP*

Mazda6 i Sport MT: $21,495 Mazda6 i Sport AT: $22,995 Mazda6 i Touring MT: $23,945 Mazda6 i Touring AT: $24,995 Madza6 i Grand Touring AT: $30,195 Mazda6 Sport

The entry level Mazda6 with manual transmission comes equipped with the SKYACTIV-G 2.5L gasoline engine, producing 184 horsepower at 5,700 rpm and 185 lb-ft of torque at 3,250 rpm. Starting at $21,495, the base model includes many features considered premium add-ons by competitors. New standard equipment for 2016 is the addition of an electronic parking brake and an upgraded center console, dash and armrest design and manual passenger seat lifter.

The six-speed automatic transmission (MSRP $22,995) adds MAZDA CONNECT Infotainment System with larger seven-inch full-color touchscreen display, SKYACTIV-DRIVE sport mode, seven-inch full-color touch-screen display, multi-function commander control, rearview camera, HD Radio and sport mode button.

Mazda6 Touring

Mazda6 Touring model is offered in manual transmission (MSRP $23,945) and automatic transmission (MSRP $24,995). New for 2016 includes a seven-inch full-color touchscreen display, Mazda Connect Infotainment System (automatic transmission model), manual passenger seat lifter and sport mode button (automatic transmission model).

The Moonroof/Bose®/ Satellite Radio Package ($1,325 MSRP) is offered in Touring automatic transmission models and includes an 11-speaker Bose Centerpoint® Surround Sound System with AudioPilot®, a power sliding glass moonroof and SiriusXM satellite radio.

The Touring Technology Package ($1,675 MSRP), which can only be ordered when combined with the Bose/Moonroof/Satellite Package, adds LED auto on/off headlights with auto leveling, LED daytime running lights, LED lighting signature grille, adaptive front-lighting system, rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming interior mirror with Homelink, auto-dimming driver’s side mirror, heated side mirrors, heated front seats and Smart City Brake Support (SCBS).

Mazda6 Grand Touring

Mazda6 Grand Touring model (MSRP $30,195) adds a number of premium features for 2016 including Parchment leather, new instrument panel, seven-inch full-color touchscreen display, active driving display, LED lights, LED lighting signature grille, LED fog lights, Mazda Connect Infotainment System and a sport mode button. All Grand Touring models are equipped with an automatic transmission.

A Grand Touring Technology Package ($2,180 MSRP) is available as an option and adds Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC), Smart Brake Support (SBS), i-ELOOP Regenerative Engine Braking System, Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), High Beam Control (HBC) and active grille shutters.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/11/15 9:00 a.m.

When the hell is the diesel coming?!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/15 9:03 a.m.

I'm still holding out for the diesel, with a stick.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
2/11/15 9:15 a.m.

Forget the diesel, I want the wagon!

trucke
trucke HalfDork
2/11/15 9:40 a.m.

So no sunroof option with a manual?

Rumor has it the diesel has changed design directions and is showing more promise (better performance) than the first try.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/11/15 9:40 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Forget the diesel, I want the wagon!

This. Diesels aren't my thing, unless I want a huge hauler, but wagons...oh baby.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/11/15 9:53 a.m.

That wagon is sexy too!

I tried to get me local dealer to let me test drive a Touring MT and they had dealer traded it and forgot to tell me until I got there (they are generally shiny happy people like that). Then tried to get me to try out a 3 MT and 6 AT to get the "feel." I said no thank you and to call me when they got another 6 MT. That was 9 months ago.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/11/15 10:06 a.m.

So basically we can only get stripped down models with a nice radio if you opt for the manual? That's ridiculous as usual.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's great Mazda still offers the 6 with manual, but I just hate that you can't get something like a sunroof with a manual. Or even a spec'd out model with a manual.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/11/15 10:30 a.m.

Why I can't have all the nice essentially winter package features with a stick? I would help save the stick then!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/15 11:25 a.m.

I want the wagon with a stick AND a diesel!

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
2/11/15 11:33 a.m.

They couldn't get the Diesel to pass US Emissions without either Urea injection or excessively poor performance. They are against doing Urea injection so they canceled the Diesel in US project.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/11/15 11:43 a.m.

But what about the wagon? Is that canceled too?

EvanR
EvanR Dork
2/11/15 11:45 a.m.

Mazda is funny. They are, indeed, "saving the stick" by offering a more comprehensive line of manual transmission vehicles than any other manufacturer. Conversely, they're being very controlling of a narrow range of choices in any given line.

Example: Want a CUV with a manual transmission? You can get a CX-5. But only in 2WD base "Sport" trim.

Option packages are available on the Sport w/automatic, but if you want a stick, they are not.

Colors are available in the Sport Automatic. You can get red, white or blue ('murica!). But if you want a manual, you can get light gray, dark gray, or really dark gray (aka black).

But Mazda has wannabe stick CUV owners by the nuts. If you want a different manual transmission CUV, you get 3 (ish) choices:

Subaru Crosstrek XV. Not really a CUV at all, but a jacked up hatchback.

Subaru Forester. A decent CUV, and you get AWD.

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. A CUV that ticks all the right boxes, except... it's a Mitsubishi.

That's it. So you get a CX-5 the way Mazda wants to build it, or get the Subaru.

I'm considering a CX-5, but not because I think it's a great choice, but because it's the only choice.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/11/15 11:48 a.m.

I want a manual CX-5 AWD with the 2.5 motor. So badly.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/11/15 11:52 a.m.

I'm probably as disappointed as anyone that Mazda is so limited in their stick shift options. But that still beats the hell out of no stick at all. And no stick at all seems to be where most of the automotive world is going.

1kris06
1kris06 Reader
2/11/15 12:02 p.m.

When i bought my 1g mazda 6 I "NEEDED" a sunroof. Truth be told, ive probably opened it less than 20 times in 5 years. It's nice, but i could do without.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/11/15 12:27 p.m.

Your experience was quite similar to mine. I used the "pop-up" feature on my CRX Si to let the heat out after parking in the sun. But very rarely opened it. In fact, I haven't had a sunroof since.

I guess if I found something I liked with a sunroof, that would be fine. But I'm not shopping for one. I like a soft top much better.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/11/15 12:30 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Forget the diesel, I want the wagon!

Top trim level wagon with a diesel and manual trans - the car the entire GRM community will complain doesn't exist, while we all stand around waiting for someone else to buy one so we can pick it up used 5 years from now.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
2/11/15 3:58 p.m.

The 6 wagon is a beautifully styled car. But the marketing weenies have deemed that Americans don't buy wagons anymore so consequently we're not a good market. I was in Europe a couple years ago and saw a new Sonata wagon on the street in Rouen, France. I was blown away. That's another beautifully designed car that we don't get here. My wife had just recently bought a new Sonata but would've bought the wagon if it was available. And we don't get the Focus wagon here either . Imagine an ST version?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
2/11/15 4:14 p.m.

I voted for Mazda in 2011 when I bought my manual mz5. Beside BMW and VW it was the only wagonish manual trans vehicle I could find. I would have spent $5k on options if they would have made them available to me, stripper only with a manual...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
2/11/15 4:34 p.m.

When I was about to buy my 3 back in 2012, you could get any of the cars in the 3 lineup with a manual, from the "no one actually buys this one" 3 SV all the way up to the full zoot 3 Grand Touring with every option. But the 6? You could only get it in the lowest trim level. Mine's a stick with the 2.5L/moon roof/Bose package.

I think you can get the new 3 with a stick with most trim levels as well, and they allow you to get a stick with the 2.5L now. I'm surprised you can get a manual in the 6 at all.

And that 6 wagon.... DAYUM!!!!

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
2/11/15 6:00 p.m.

Where's the Mazdaspeed wagon? Daddy needs a "grown up" car for two baby F22 ejection seats and the ground support equipment.

And a diesel CX9 for Mama.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
2/11/15 9:40 p.m.

You guys forgot the Jeep Patriot, Compass and Renegade. They are all available with awd and stick shift.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/12/15 2:19 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: I'm still holding out for the diesel, with a stick.

From the size of the car, I'd imagine that any stick attached to a diesel will have 13 or 14 forward gears and a high/low switch on the shift lever.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XrNdvIeAmIRdiukyF0UULcibH56aF09DI3DhNf8b9nDNy9w8f4U1JR3V0kVrz4Nf