ckessel
ckessel New Reader
8/25/24 12:58 p.m.

I have questions about the rulebook and would like to avoid blowing $25 bucks if it doesn't tell me what I'm after. Questions are: does it list out safety specifications for electrical routing[ battery cables, wiring etc], fuel system requirements[ line routing, tanks etc], roll over system requirements[ mounting, tube specs, etc], seats and harnesses[ mounting, routing etc], brake systems, tires and wheel specs. I'm building my car so I can run it at track and autocross events in my area. It will be a street driven car but I want to run it at tracks too.

RX8racer
RX8racer New Reader
8/25/24 1:42 p.m.

You can download the GCR (rule book) for free https://www.scca.com/downloads

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
8/25/24 4:53 p.m.

Yep, GCR is the book to look at. Build it to the track/road race specs, you can run a track car at an autocross.

ckessel
ckessel New Reader
8/25/24 5:46 p.m.

Cool. Thank you for the information. As I get further along on the car, this info will be needed so I can plan ahead.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
8/26/24 7:24 a.m.

In reply to ckessel :

What specific racing are you trying to do?  What's your end class you are gonna try to be in?  But all the scca rulesets are free online.  

ckessel
ckessel New Reader
8/26/24 11:41 a.m.

I still need to figure that out. I do want to run at track events, SOLO? I guess. Autocross too. Don't know what classifications I need to be in just yet. Once I have the book that will help guide me. Buttonwillow is a couple of hours away from me. When I can swing it, I'll make a trip over to see whats happening and get some additional info.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
8/26/24 11:56 a.m.

In reply to ckessel :

solo is autocross.  then there is scca time trials which is just the scca version of a time attack race.  But they don't race in california as of the last few years.  Otherwise you've got other race programs like gridlife or nasa but idk anything about them.  What is your car you plan to use?  My suggestion is just take whatever you have, give it a good mechanical look over, good tires, and then get seat time.  worry about class or building a car late.r

ckessel
ckessel New Reader
8/26/24 12:55 p.m.

Its a 1965 Dodge Coronet. I started a thread for it in the members project section. Title is "Updating The Super Street Mopar".

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/26/24 5:49 p.m.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, however, this would not seem to be an autocross / solo / track day type vehicle

I might be wrong.

Good luck

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
8/26/24 8:22 p.m.
RacingComputers said:

Not to be a Negative Nancy, however, this would not seem to be an autocross / solo / track day type vehicle

Competitive?  Maybe not.

Fun?  Cool?  Heck Yeah!

ckessel
ckessel New Reader
8/26/24 11:26 p.m.

For sure not the usual path for this car. But there have been others based on the same platform doing the same events I want to pursue plus long distance, high speed runs. An aquaintance has run his blue 65 Belvedere, Plymouth version of mine, at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs. Another gent I know worked with Hotchkis to develop suspension parts/systems for the 67-72 cars[ I can use that stuff too]. He ran on the Goodguys autocross events[ remember a 68 Blue Roadrunner?], other sanctioned autocross events plus the Nevada road race. Then throw in the NASCAR/USAC races at Riverside, Watkins Glen and other road courses back in the 60's/70's. And another car that was a magazine project, The Green Brick by Mopar Action magazine, that is a 67 Plymouth Valiant they prepped to run for the One Lap Of America events. This was in the 90's/early 2000's. Very low buck and low tech car but well sorted out. Cleaned many other teams clocks with high tech/high dollar builds. Did so well that they were banned from competing again. Yes its going to be fun to run and I'm having fun doing the work. Keeps me thinking.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
8/26/24 11:59 p.m.

The issue you are going to find is the car isn't going to be listed as eligible in any specific class in SCCA. The best you can do is pick a rule set that has similar cars(engine size/weight) and get it close. The most important thing will be safety equipment.

Most organizations will find a spot for you and take your money if the car is built to a high safety standard. You'll end up in a "run what ya' brung" group.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
8/27/24 3:33 a.m.

Sounds like you are wanting to do autocross (parking lots and cones) and time trials (track stuff, but not passing in anger). 

For autocrossing, CAM is a ton of fun and shockingly permissive for mods. https://www.scca.com/downloads/70320-2024-cam-and-xtreme-rules-changes-formated/download is the class specific stuff.

Here is the general solo (autocross) rules https://www.scca.com/downloads/72794/download

There are some other orgs like good guys and optima that run similar cars. Each with their own rulesets. 

That's autocross pretty well covered. 

Time trials. Someone else already linked the GCR (time trials/roadracing have a separate rulebook from solo/autocross). There is some crossover, but the GCR is more rigorous. Cage requirements, electrical kill switches, onboard fire systems, logbooks, etc.  

I wholeheartedly agree that you should look to the GCR when building as you will have less regret building to a higher standard than needed rather than having to redo substandard work. Especially if you do a cage! There are some things you can probably wait to add, like a fire system, but it's good to know to allow for in the future as you build. 

In regards to competitive, that's a barrel of monkeys at every level and can have different answers depending on the level you want to compete. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/27/24 6:52 a.m.
ckessel said:

And another car that was a magazine project, The Green Brick by Mopar Action magazine, that is a 67 Plymouth Valiant they prepped to run for the One Lap Of America events. This was in the 90's/early 2000's. Very low buck and low tech car but well sorted out. Cleaned many other teams clocks with high tech/high dollar builds. Did so well that they were banned from competing again. Yes its going to be fun to run and I'm having fun doing the work. Keeps me thinking.

Heh...not gonna happen these days. 

The level of car (and driver) required to "clean clocks" at OLOA is now quite high.  Nobody puts together low-buck, garage-built efforts anymore and "cleans clocks".  Especially not a magazine project car.

Oh wait...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1988-crx/one-lap-2024-what-we-learned-competing-with-a-humb/

laugh

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/27/24 11:39 a.m.

Good luck with your endeavor

We will be watching

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NxAfHDHhRVKgyDlXRGZIKyt9uADn3xyglATJZD5U3XJq7nd6nsRBoNPhSd7kLkxf